Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

those with push starts and radar detectors

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 11:18 AM
str8wick3d
3rd Gear Member

Default those with push starts and radar detectors

My 2005 gt gets here monday and I will be doing the push start mod, my question is do you use the wires coming from the A/C plug where the button is installed? If not could I hard wire my radar to that and also route it to the switch so that when I push the button the radar turns on with the car starting? I know that the last years mustangs had constent power flow and the radar would stay on? Just wondering thanks guys
Old 08-16-2007, 12:25 PM
Fourth Horseman
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: those with push starts and radar detectors

If you want the detector to come on when the car switches on I would recommend running the power to the fuse block behind the passenger kick panel. Grab a volt meter and find one of the fuses that comes on when you have the key on and tap that. This is what I did with my hard-wired install of my Valentine 1. I always turn it on/off by hand, but just in case I forget to do so it will turn off when I turn the key off.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:56 PM
Grinder911

Check this out: http://www.cherod.com/mustang/HowTo/Start%20Button3.htm

PM me if you're looking for a large collection of install links from another forum.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:47 PM
Stage4
2nd Gear Member

I have both - the push start does not use the cigarette lighter power (if i remember correctly). However, i placed my detector to the right side of the rearview mirror and wired it directly to the wiring for the map lights. The power comes on whenever the door is unlocked or opened, and the radar detector has a battery saver that shuts it off every two hours. It actually works really nice and the placement of it is perfect - doesn't block the windshield but easy to see when you need to. Plus, i don't have to rip it off the windshield if i get pulled over - it's almost impossible to see standing at the door.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:56 PM
str8wick3d
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stage4

I have both - the push start does not use the cigarette lighter power (if i remember correctly). However, i placed my detector to the right side of the rearview mirror and wired it directly to the wiring for the map lights. The power comes on whenever the door is unlocked or opened, and the radar detector has a battery saver that shuts it off every two hours. It actually works really nice and the placement of it is perfect - doesn't block the windshield but easy to see when you need to. Plus, i don't have to rip it off the windshield if i get pulled over - it's almost impossible to see standing at the door.
could u get me some pics ? thanx
Old 08-16-2007, 06:22 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

I tapped into the radio's wires for my radar detector and have it to the left of the rear view mirror. Turns on and off with the car. Easiest and most convient install point for me.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:25 PM
FuriousGeorge
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stage4

Why rip it off when Johnny Law pulls you over? Maybe I don't because they are legal in the southwest. Personally, I think it is a deterrant for an idiot cop trying to write me a BS ticket in quota time. They know you are going to ask to see the radar.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:51 PM
Stage4
2nd Gear Member

it's legal - but experience has shown that if they see a detector they tend to write more tickets instead of warnings. I'll try to get pics up next week - heading out to Woodward tomorrow
Old 08-16-2007, 08:25 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FuriousGeorge
They know you are going to ask to see the radar.
The cop doesn't have to show you the radar device if you ask him about it. They are not required in any way to save or lock the speed on the device.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:18 PM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

Push starts are easy to wire up. Just T-tap into the starter wire (I believe it is green, though I can't remember for sure since I installed it a long time ago).

I hard-wired my Valentine 1 into the switched power wire to the radio, so it turns on and off when I turn the car on and off. PM me for details if interested.

Quick Reply: those with push starts and radar detectors