Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil question... any experts here?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 03:14 PM
jream

Default oil question... any experts here?

edit:::: based for a GT500

well i've done searching on here and reading up on a bunch of info on oil for my car.

here's the quick and dirty of what i get out of it... ford says i am to use 5w50 full synthetic.

*5w50 ---> numbers represent oil's ability to flow the same at cold starup (-30 degrees F) and at full operating temperature. 5w=winter weight, 50= operating weight.

*polymer additives added to the oil to achieve the cold/hot flow mentioned above so the oil flows same at freezing cold or hot as hell.

*wider the range betweet the 2 numbers (5 and 50 = 45), the more polymers used to achieve gap.

*more polymers used, easier for the oil to not work as good as the polymers break down fairly easy over time.

*ford recommends 5w50. 5w to cover the entire country's temperature range at start up. (early morning detroit or early morning miami... even tho they are 80 degrees different at the same time). i need 50wt because of the high heat, high rpm, etc.

after much research, i'm thinking i'm going to go with a 15w50 or a 20w50. since i live in florida and never go anywhere cold... and since 15w is rated at -10 degrees at startup and the coldest i ever see is 60 degrees i don't need the colder startup weight. and the closer range of the numbers will mean better oil resistance to wear and breakdown. plus the fact that i'm not steered into ford to get an oil change at $100 which is complete b.s. to begin with.

its been touched on in a few threads and such... and aside from don't do it cause ford said so and they obviously know what's best for their cars... not much else has come up. yes ford knows what works for their cars... BUT a car that starts up in tampa every time vs. a car that starts up in chicago everytime can't be handled the same. different environments, operating conditions, climates, etc. all of which need tweeking on your maintenance... and in no way does the car that starts up in tampa need an oil that is designed for cold startup @ 30 degrees below zero.

whadya think???
call me crazy... just don't call me shirley. [/align]
Old 08-20-2007, 04:05 PM
torch red
4th Gear Member

Default RE: oil question... any experts here?

i am guessing you have a S197 car..

5W-20 is the weight Ford Recommends in a sythetic blend...for our cars...

Dont use anything else..maybe put in a full synthetic..that.weight is designed for these engines..

Leave it as is..Dont over analyze..
Old 08-20-2007, 04:19 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

I think you're nuts for using 50W in our engine. It has NOTHING to do with ambient temps. Has to do with bearing clearances. Burn your motor up if you like, but please don't come on here with that garbage. There are some impressionable folks on here that may follow your lead and be sorry later.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:04 PM
jream

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo

I think you're nuts for using 50W in our engine. It has NOTHING to do with ambient temps. Has to do with bearing clearances. Burn your motor up if you like, but please don't come on here with that garbage. There are some impressionable folks on here that may follow your lead and be sorry later.

then call ford and have them issue a recall on their specification for the gt500's. 5w50 is what ford says to use. AS STATED IN MY POST!

the issue isnt the 50. it's the winter weight that i'm addressing. 5w portion or the number before the 50 to make it easier for you to understand!

it's not garbage.... it's called reading.... top to bottom, left to right... group words together as a sentence. take tylenol for any headaches... midol for any cramps. [sm=loser.gif]
Old 08-20-2007, 05:09 PM
schapman
4th Gear Member

then use 5W50 in the GT500. your in the wrong forum buy the way this is the GT forum. You have a completely different engine than the mustang gt.
Your also making friends quickly here calling people loser, newbie
Old 08-20-2007, 05:15 PM
Aziraphale
4th Gear Member

Please edit your original post to say you have a GT500 cause we don't want some GT guy not paying attention. 5w50 is NOT good for our engines.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:22 PM
jream

ORIGINAL: schapman

then use 5W50 in the GT500. your in the wrong forum buy the way this is the GT forum. You have a completely different engine than the mustang gt.
Your also making friends quickly here calling people loser, newbie
never called anyone a loser, newbie. actually the previous guy that posted said i was "nuts", throwing out "garbage"... lets see? yeah way to welcome a new guy to "your" forum. and sorry for posting in your forum. i've spoken to a few other members here and aside from you, everyone has welcomed those of us with gt500's to participate too.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:58 PM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

ok to correct a few errors in your topic starting post
the 5w is not exactly a winter number its the sub-zero temp test it passes 5w=-40's
and a fluid can't have the same viscosity at two different temps (this myth started with advertising)

so use 5w-50 or 0w-50 do not use 10w-50

the sub-zero test is simple chill the fluid to a series low temps starting with the 25w test and see if the viscosity is within the range that would allow for safe engine start-up and continue lowering temp till it fails

also its been found in dynos test that compared 5w-30 to 10w-30 in the same car and found that the 5w-30 showed a slight improvement in power
and on farther research it was found that the 5w provided better protection and lubrication even though they were from the same oil company

and this isn't the GT forum its the s197 forum which covers 6, GT, GT500
Old 08-20-2007, 06:07 PM
CataclysmGT
4th Gear Member

" and a fluid can't have the same viscosity at two different temps"

Partially true. Modern oils use polymeric chains that expand when heated, and therfore "thicken" the oil. Now, the reduction in viscosity due to temp is greater then the effect of the polymers, so what we observe is a reduction in absolute viscosity. If it was not for these polymeric chains, the oil would be even thinner (less viscous) at operating temp then it is. The wider range the oil is rated generally results in a higher price tag as well.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:16 PM
schapman
4th Gear Member

No...try reading your post again your the "newbie" and there's a little guy making the loser sign in your post. so you did call him a loser. The first two people that replied to you thought you had a 4.6 GT that requries 5w20 since you didnt clearly state that in your post. The person saying you must be nuts wasnt saying "your nuts" he meant you must be nuts for using the wrong oil since he thought you had a GT. They make a mistake and you came back attacking them.

Quick Reply: oil question... any experts here?