Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help Can't Figure Out

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 09:28 PM
mechanicterry
1st Gear Member

Default Need Help Can't Figure Out

I have a 2007 GT w/BBK CAI and BBK throttle body, SLP loudmouths.No tune then.(Have one now).OK this started the other daywith a long run on the interstate. I noticed a rattle under the car. I thought it was the cats. It had thattypical broke-up cat rattle. I ordered a new Basani X w/high flow cats. Installed it -still rattles. Took SLP Loudmouths off and found all the welds on the inside of both mufflers broken. OK that would cause it to rattle. Re-installed stock mufflers w/ Basani X. Still rattles. Could I have burnt the valves or could it be valve rattle? Does it with or w/o the Brenspeed tune. I also have lost a lot of torque after installing the Basani X. It doesn't feel the same. No check engine lights, tach is steady as can be on idle. You can rev it up in the garage all day and not a rattle, only when your driving it. Before the Basani X it had great power but rattled, engine seems to run good. Reved up the motor with the hood up and it sounds great. Sounds like it could be coming from under the car. Can't figure it out. Wouldn't I see some signs from the motor if it were damaged.(Check engine,rough idle etc.)Please Help. I am considering returning everything to stock and take it to the dealer.(8500 miles). I am getting the guys that did all my custom mods to look at it tomorrow, they are pretty good.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:52 PM
5SPD07GT
Official Site Sponsor

Default RE: Need Help Can't Figure Out

any heatsheilds or whatnot that could be loose?
Old 08-20-2007, 09:54 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

you will lose low end torq with the x
Old 08-20-2007, 09:58 PM
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

Does it sound like it's around the the shifter or radio area? Can be the exhaust hanger isolators.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:01 PM
mechanicterry
1st Gear Member

I can't tell if it's around the radio or coming from the back. Sounds like it's under our feet sometimes. If it was engine trouble(valves)I would get rough idle and engine light right? i have not checked the heat shields.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:03 PM
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

There are 2 TSB for rattles. One is the lash adjusters causing noise or the hangers.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:18 PM
mechanicterry
1st Gear Member

Where do I find 2007 TSB's
Old 08-20-2007, 10:25 PM
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

https://mustangforums.com/recalls-and-tsbs/tsb.htm
They don't have the 2007 up yet
Old 08-20-2007, 11:55 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mechanicterry

I have a 2007 GT w/BBK CAI and BBK throttle body, SLP loudmouths.No tune then.(Have one now).OK this started the other daywith a long run on the interstate. I noticed a rattle under the car. I thought it was the cats. It had thattypical broke-up cat rattle. I ordered a new Basani X w/high flow cats. Installed it -still rattles. Took SLP Loudmouths off and found all the welds on the inside of both mufflers broken. OK that would cause it to rattle. Re-installed stock mufflers w/ Basani X. Still rattles. Could I have burnt the valves or could it be valve rattle? Does it with or w/o the Brenspeed tune. I also have lost a lot of torque after installing the Basani X. It doesn't feel the same. No check engine lights, tach is steady as can be on idle. You can rev it up in the garage all day and not a rattle, only when your driving it. Before the Basani X it had great power but rattled, engine seems to run good. Reved up the motor with the hood up and it sounds great. Sounds like it could be coming from under the car. Can't figure it out. Wouldn't I see some signs from the motor if it were damaged.(Check engine,rough idle etc.)Please Help. I am considering returning everything to stock and take it to the dealer.(8500 miles). I am getting the guys that did all my custom mods to look at it tomorrow, they are pretty good.

there are no welds inside SLP loudmouth "mufflers"
Old 08-21-2007, 07:12 AM
mechanicterry
1st Gear Member

If you remove the SLP muffler and look in from the back you will see an inner liner that is welded in with three small tack welds. It allows some air to be trapped to give it a "rumble" sound. All three tacks are broken on both mufflers and allowing that liner to vibrate. Hence the rattles. But unfortunately there is more to the story and I just have not found it yet.

Quick Reply: Need Help Can't Figure Out