Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just when u thought it was over, gear whine saga cont. (pt 5)

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 11:50 PM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

Default just when u thought it was over, gear whine saga cont. (pt 5)

you wont believe this. the car felt better after repositioning the shaft, but still vibrated and howled. i took it to another guy to check it out. we did some tests, and the shaft is bad. its either bent, orit has abad joint, but it wobbles like hell. we placed a crayon onto a fixed rod positioned by the side of the shaft, ran the car through the gears and then moved therod back furtherand found that the closer to the rear we moved it, the less crayon that marked the shaft indicating it is wobbling. it has to be replaced, and also thegears need to be shimmed properly as they still whine too. the first shop owner really messed it up. i had the second guy call him and tell him what was up, and then i spoke to him and he completely flipped out, calling me a punk and telling me to go f*** myself and shove my piece of sh**car up my @ss. then i told him the proper shaft install procedure as specified by ford, he said he will call ford and ask them himself and when im wrong i can get lost. he hung up, and 30-45 minutes later his assistant called back begging me to bring it in on saturday so they can redo my gears and replace the shaft. i told him no way, not since you got it wrongtwice already,making it worse the second time and especiallynot after the way i was spoken to. he asked what i was going to do, so i told him im going to pay to have it done elsewhere and we'll see what happens after that. i'm sure you guys can imagine how this might play out.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:00 AM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

Default RE: just when u thought it was over, gear whine saga cont. (pt 5)

btw, owner of shop 2 said richmond gears are awesome, and when he resets them he promises they will be right. he said he wont take my money until im satisfied. he just said they are harder than other gears to set properly so some mechanics cant handle them.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:28 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i believe it, you wouldn't just make this stuff up.

i hope everything gets fixed to your satisfaction, so you
can once again start enjoying the car
Old 08-21-2007, 12:38 AM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

ya, but if you're the owner of miami horsepower then i am making it up, lol!

is there anywhere i can get the driveshaft install procedure in writing, somewhere official? it would be really useful for me to have this info at this point in time.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:43 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

if you mean the ford service manual procedure, i might
be able to help with that
Old 08-21-2007, 12:51 AM
07BeastGT
2nd Gear Member

Dang man. So are you getting a refund at least, or making them pay for the shaft or anything?
I haven't followed the whole thing on this...last I read was part 3 I think, when it was good to go
Old 08-21-2007, 01:09 AM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

hammeron -that would be awesome! especially because his mechanic admitted to not indexing the shaft and because shop owner # 2 called him out on a lie. he said he never touched the shaft, then when shop owner 2 asked him how he changed the gears without touching the shaft he replied that he unbolted it and let it hang. also, shop owner 1's mechanic told me he didn't index it, and recommended i rotate the shaft myself and retorque the bolts to spec since they were airgun drilled on.

07beastGT - i intend to tell him the costs of the job, have my father (a lawyer) write him a letter, and will likely have to sue him. i told him that i would not let him touch my car again, but i refuse to be out of pocket the 1000 plus or minusthat it's gonna cost me to get things right.it would be great to have the info hammeron is going to find for me when i send him the letter, that way he thinks twice before trying to dispute this. if i'm lucky he will realize it would cost him a lot more to hire an attorney, and cost me nothing since my father is one, and hopefully he will just settle.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:12 AM
07BeastGT
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like you lucked out on this one.
If I were you, I'd see if I could get extra money for all the time it took out of YOUR schedule, and not to mention gas money.
So basically you get free gears if you play your cards right
Old 08-21-2007, 01:14 AM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

i was thinking the same thing, and its very true. it's cost me over a tank of gas, and time like you wouldnt believe, especially not having a car i can use.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:16 AM
07BeastGT
2nd Gear Member

Heck yeah. Hit him for compensation. I'd say something like "Well, I had to miss out on 2 business meetings because I had to be here days AFTER my gears were supposed to be installed the RIGHT way"

Quick Reply: just when u thought it was over, gear whine saga cont. (pt 5)