Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Pa Inspection

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 03:44 PM
Dwisforme05
5th Gear Member

Default RE: New Pa Inspection

im sorry to hear that!!! that really sucks
Old 08-22-2007, 05:00 PM
mcburns36
2nd Gear Member

Here is some of it
[/align][/align]

These search terms have been highlighted:
inspection
regulations
reconstructed
vehicles
pa
[hr]

Page 1
Bureau of Motor Vehicles - Research and Support Operations Section[/b][/align]P.O. Box 68031, Harrisburg, PA 17106-8031[/b][/align]Visit us through the PA PowerPort at www.state.pa[/b].us PA[/b] Keyword: DMV[/b][/align]

FACT SHEET[/align]

Reconstructed[/b], Specially Constructed and Modified Vehicles[/b][/align]

PURPOSE[/align]This Fact Sheet outlines the requirements for titling reconstructed[/b], specially constructed and modified vehicles[/b]. [/align]DEFINITIONS FOR RECONSTRUCTED, SPECIALLY CONSTRUCTED AND MODIFIED VEHICLES[/b][/b][/align]Essential Parts - All major component parts of a vehicle of a type required to be registered in the Vehicle Code, the[/align]removal, alteration or substitution of which would tend to conceal the identity of the vehicle or substantially alter its[/align]appearance, model, type or mode of operation.[/align]Major Component Parts - Includes any of the following parts of a vehicle: engine, transmission, front-end assemblies or[/align]unibodies structure which may consist of headlight, grille, fenders, bumpers and hood; fenders; hood; any door; any[/align]bumper; pickup box or cargo box; airbags; computer assembly; radio or stereo components; or trunk lid, deck lid, tailgate[/align]or hatchback, whichever is present.[/align]Modified Vehicle - A vehicle of a type required to be registered under this title materially altered by the addition, deletion,[/align]substitution or modification of the body, chassis or essential parts, new or used. The term does not include vehicles[/b] that[/align]have been repaired to the function and appearance of vehicles[/b] in their original condition or vehicles[/b] where final-stage or[/align]second-stage manufacturers provide a manufacturer statement of origin or a federally required certification label at the time[/align]of the original title and registration application. [/align]Reconstructed Vehicle [/b]- A vehicle, other than an antique or classic vehicle, for which a certificate of salvage was issued[/align]and is thereafter restored to operating condition to meet the vehicle equipment and inspection[/b] standards.[/align]Salvaged Vehicle - A vehicle which is inoperable or unable to meet the vehicle equipment and inspection[/b] standards to the[/align]extent that the cost of repairs would exceed the value of the repaired vehicle. The term does not include a vehicle which[/align]would qualify as an antique or classic vehicle except for its lack of restoration or maintenance.[/align]Specially Constructed Vehicle - A vehicle not originally constructed under a distinctive name, make, model or type by a[/align]generally recognized manufacturer of vehicles[/b] but assembled from parts of various vehicles[/b] and/or kits.[/align]APPLICATION FOR RECONSTRUCTED, SPECIALLY CONSTRUCTED AND MODIFIED VEHICLES[/b][/b][/align]NOTE: Any application submitted to the Department for a reconstructed, specially constructed or modified[/b][/align]vehicle title may be delayed should it warrant further review by the Department and/or the Pennsylvania[/align]State Police.[/align]Reconstructed Vehicles[/b]:[/b][/align]Vehicles[/b] that have been issued a certificate of salvage that was reconstructed[/b] only to the extent of repairs, modification[/align](customizing), without altering the original make will be issued a certificate of title listing the original make, vehicle[/align]identification number and model year of the vehicle. The title will show an “R†brand for reconstructed[/b] vehicle. Vehicles[/b][/align]reconstructed[/b] by using a glider kit that has a certificate of salvage as the ownership document, also fit into this category,[/align]however, no model year will be listed on the certificate of title. All reconstructed[/b] vehicles[/b] must be equipped as required by[/align]the Pennsylvania Vehicle Code and the Equipment and Inspection[/b] Regulations[/b] for the proper body type of the vehicle. No[/align]exceptions can be made, since reconstructed[/b] vehicles[/b] are required to pass the safety inspection[/b] program. The following[/align]items are required for a reconstructed[/b] vehicle application:[/align]■Form MV-1, “Application for Certificate of Title.†Form MV-1 is not needed if the Pennsylvania Certificate of Salvage[/align]is already in the name of the applicant. NOTE: Issuing agents are prohibited from issuing temporary registration[/align]plates or transferring a registration in conjunction with an application for a reconstructed[/b] vehicle title. Issuing agents[/align]should remind applicants that the vehicle cannot be operated until the application is processed and registration plates[/align]are issued or transferred by the Department.[/align]July 2003[/align]- over -[/align]

[hr]

Page 2[/align][font=times][size=3]
■Form MV-5, “Pennsylvania Certificate of Salvage,†or an out-of-state certificate of salvage. NOTE: Non-repairable[/align]or for parts only certificates of salvage, certificates of title or manufacturers certificate of origin for three-wheel or four-[/align]wheel all terrain vehicles[/b] (ATV’s) or a New York 907A form are not acceptable for a reconstructed[/b] title application. [/align]■Form MV-426, “Application for Reconstructed[/b], Specially Constructed or Modified Vehicle.†(See Form MV-426B for[/align]detailed instructions.) [/align]■Four (4) color photos of the vehicle are required - front, both sides, and rear of the vehicle, showing the completed[/align]vehicle. If the vehicle is a motorhome, additional interior photographs are required. (See Form MV-426B for detailed[/align]instructions on photographs.)[/align]■Bill of Sale and other receipts for parts purchased and used in the vehicle’s restoration must be submitted. [/align]■All applicable fees and taxes.[/align]■If a Pennsylvania state replacement vehicle identification number (VIN) plate is required, Form MV-41 (Application[/align]for Correction of Vehicle Record) must be completed and attached.[/align]Specially Constructed Vehicles:[/b][/align]Vehicles[/b] reconstructed[/b] to the extent that the original make is no longer recognizable or assembled from a “kit†will be[/align]issued a certificate of title listing “specially constructed†as the vehicle make and no model year will be listed on the title.[/align]Please note that “glider kit†changes are considered as “reconstructed[/b]†vehicles[/b] unless there is no title submitted with the[/align]application. A Pennsylvania state replacement vehicle identification number (VIN) plate will automatically be issued. All[/align]specially constructed vehicles[/b] must be equipped as required by the Pennsylvania Vehicle Code and the Equipment and[/align]Inspection[/b] Regulations[/b] for the proper body type of the vehicle.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:03 PM
mcburns36
2nd Gear Member

And some more I will not post the other 50 pages I have of it
ATTENTION: ALL OFFICIAL INSPECTION[/b] STATIONS [/align]QUALITY ASSURANCE OFFICERS AND PENNSYLVANIA STATE POLICE[/align]BI06-1 [/align]SAFETY INSPECTION[/b] BULLETIN [/align]APRIL 2006 [/align]TOPICS IN THIS BULLETIN:[/align]UPDATE REGARDING THE ESTABLISHMENT OF ENHANCED INSPECTION [/b][/align]STATIONS TO INSPECT RECONSTRUCTED VEHICLES[/b] [/b][/align]As a follow-up to the September 2005 letter concerning the review of the reconstructed[/b] vehicle [/align]process, PennDOT has continued to work with the “Specialized Vehicle Compliance Advisory Panel†[/align]to establish procedures and requirements for the inspection[/b] and titling of reconstructed[/b], specially [/align]constructed, modified, flood, recovered theft, collectible vehicles[/b] and street rods. This panel (which [/align]is prescribed by law) consists of Legislative, Department and Industry representatives. [/align]As you may be aware, any appointed safety inspection[/b] station may currently inspect reconstructed[/b], [/align]specially constructed, modified, flood, recovered theft, collectible vehicles[/b] and street rods, complete [/align]the required application form and submit it to PennDOT for processing. Upon receipt of a title, the [/align]applicant then has to obtain a registration and license plate and have the vehicle reinspected prior to [/align]being able to operate the vehicle. [/align]The new process will consist of a network of specially equipped Enhanced Vehicle Safety Inspection[/b] [/align]Stations under contract with PennDOT with specially trained inspection[/b] personnel. Enhanced Vehicle [/align]Safety Inspection[/b] Stations may also choose to become a participating company in our On-Line [/align]Registration Program and be authorized to process title and registration work. This would permit you [/align]to issue registration plates, cards and stickers for customers, including those requesting credentials for [/align]reconstructed[/b] and flood vehicles[/b]. For those Enhanced Vehicle Safety Inspection[/b] Stations that decide [/align]not to participate in the On-Line Registration Program, the services of the existing network of dealers, [/align]agents and messengers, who are able to issue registration credentials for a reconstructed[/b] vehicle that [/align]qualifies, will be available. [/align]The following questions and answers will provide you with a more comprehensive overview of the [/align]program and assist you in determining whether or not you choose to participate in this program. [/align]General [/align]Q. [/align]When does PennDOT expect to start the Enhanced Vehicle Safety Inspection[/b] program for [/align]reconstructed[/b], specially constructed, modified, collectibles, flood, recovered theft vehicles[/b] and [/align]street rods? [/align]A. [/align]PennDOT’s implementation date is scheduled for January 1, 2007. [/align]
[hr]

Page 2[/align]
2[/align]Q. [/align]What types of vehicles[/b] will require an Enhanced Vehicle Safety Inspection[/b]? [/align]A. [/align]All vehicles[/b] currently requiring the submission of an MV-426 application (for reconstructed[/b], [/align]specially constructed, flood, modified, recovered theft, collectible vehicles[/b] and street rods) [/align]will require the Enhanced Vehicle Safety Inspection[/b]. [/align]Q. [/align]Of the vehicles[/b] listed above, what types of vehicle applications can be processed by a [/align]participating company in the On-Line Registration Program and be issued a registration and [/align]license plate immediately?[/align]A. [/align]Vehicles[/b] that require a reconstructed[/b] vehicle title brand, flood vehicle brand or a reconstructed[/b] [/align]flood vehicle title brand can be issued a registration and license plate immediately. [/align]Q. [/align]How will applications be processed for the remaining vehicle types such as; specially[/align]constructed, modified, collectible, recovered theft vehicles[/b] and street rods? [/align]A. [/align]After an inspection[/b] at an Enhanced Vehicle Safety Inspection[/b] Station is completed, the [/align]application and other required documents are verified and assembled by the inspection[/b] [/align]mechanic. The application will be forwarded to PennDOT for review and expedited [/align]processing as is currently done. [/align]Q. [/align]If I am not an Enhanced Vehicle Safety Inspection[/b] Station, will I be authorized to inspect [/align]reconstructed[/b], specially constructed, flood, modified, recovered theft, collectible vehicles[/b] and [/align]street rods and complete the required application for the purpose of having a vehicle titled and [/align]registered in Pennsylvania?[/align]A. [/align]No. Only those stations appointed as an Enhanced Vehicle Safety Inspection[/b] Station will be[/align]authorized to perform these functions after January 1, 2007. [/align]Q. [/align]Is participation in this program voluntary?[/align]A. [/align]Yes, participation in the Enhanced Vehicle Safety Inspection[/b] Station program is voluntary. [/align]Q. [/align]How many vehicles[/b] are expected to require an Enhanced Vehicle Safety Inspection[/b]?[/align]A. [/align]PennDOT records indicate that approximately 40,000 enhanced inspections will need to be [/align]performed each year. [/align]Q. [/align]Is there a deadline for applying to become an Enhanced Vehicle Safety Inspection[/b] Station?[/align]A. [/align]No. However, PennDOT will work to assure that there is an adequate network of Enhanced [/align]Vehicle Safety Inspection[/b] Stations to offer the public this service beginning January 1, 2007. [/align]Q. [/align]If I choose not to participate now, will I be able to apply as an Enhanced Vehicle Safety [/align]Inspection[/b] Station at a later time? [/align]A. [/align]Yes. After the initial start up, adding the Enhanced Vehicle Safety Inspection[/b] Station type to [/align]an existing safety inspection[/b] station can be done anytime by contacting your Quality [/align]Assurance Officer. [/align]Q. [/align]How do I begin the process of becoming an Enhanced Vehicle Safety Inspection[/b] Station?[/align]A. [/align]You can begin the process of becoming an Enhanced Vehicle Safety Inspection[/b] Station by [/align]requesting a requirements package and contract via email at PAInspections@state.pa[/b].us or by [/align]faxing your request to the attention of the Contract Section at (717) 705-6990. When [/align]requesting information, please include your station number, station name and address. Please [/align]allow 45 days for the mailing of the requirements package and contract. [/align]

[hr]

Page 3[/align][font=times][size=3]
3[/align]Administrative [/align]Q. [/align]Will there be a fee to become an Enhanced Vehicle Safety Inspection[/b] Station or inspector?[/align]A. [/align]There will be no fee to apply for and be appointed as an Enhanced Vehicle Safety Inspection[/b] [/align]Station. However, an investment in tools and inspector training will be required. Additionally, [/align]a certificate of insurance for general commercial liability in the amount of $50,000 and annual [/align]criminal record checks for employees will be required. [/align]Q. [/align]Must I have a separate insurance policy in the amount of $50,000 to operate an Enhanced [/align]Vehicle Safety Inspection[/b] Station? [/align]A. [/align]No. Current insurance policies in place will meet this requirement if the $50,000 minimum[/align]amount is maintained [/align]Q
Old 08-22-2007, 05:33 PM
300GT
3rd Gear Member

That sucks. Makes me think that installing the cold air kit/tune will be more hassle than it's worth ( I live in the Philly 'burbs). Even if your re-install the stock airbox and reflash to stock tune to pass inspection/emissions, my guess is there is big old fine waiting for you if you then put the CAI/new tune back on and get pulled over. Has anyone in PA already undergone one of these new "modified" inspections? Care to comment on your experience?
Old 08-22-2007, 06:11 PM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

It seems that it will be hard to enforce most things, like changing you stereo, paint or other things. To much red tape for Joe Blow to have to keep up with. That still sucks that something like that was even put into law. It reeks as another form of taxation. Where I live there are all sorts of rules that the inspection places are supposed to enforce, but they just blow it off. All they want is that yearly fee.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:36 PM
schapman
4th Gear Member

I thought that was the definition of a politican? incompetant or otherwise undesirable
ORIGINAL: nkx1

Got it, thanks for the definition! Although, I do not feel it is applicable to me whatsoever.

I actually do think for myself as most should, and accordingly, do not subscribe, wholly, to the objectives of any one political ideology. I'm independent, as I feel most should be. That way, you're as unbiased as possible when voting etc. And incompetant or otherwise undesirable politicians are less frequently elected as a result of political affiliation.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:21 PM
mcburns36
2nd Gear Member

I did hear of a repeal of the law but nothing definite yet. But how did it get through in the first place? Contact your local representative and give 'em hell!!
Old 08-23-2007, 12:27 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

So, I get my car inspected, then install the CAI and tune. How the heck would anyone know that my inspection is now invalid? Don't sweat the small stuff...

Rick
[sm=smiley34.gif]
Old 08-23-2007, 12:43 PM
mcburns36
2nd Gear Member

What if you get in a wreck and your insurance co. finds out your car is not properly inspected?
Old 08-23-2007, 02:01 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mcburns36

What if you get in a wreck and your insurance co. finds out your car is not properly inspected?
NOW you're starting to scare me. You sound like my ex...

Quick Reply: New Pa Inspection