MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   Just installed Hurst shifter... (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/335576-just-installed-hurst-shifter.html)

ohnoesaz 08-23-2007 10:41 AM

Just installed Hurst shifter...

THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS!!!

But anyways, heres some thoughts:

- My tranny isn't clunking nearly as much now. Why? Is the shifter not engaging the gears all of the way or did the stock shifter uhm promote clunking?

- Not very impressed with height or needed strength of shifter.... I thought I could rest my elbow on the console and just flick my wrist. I can't. Due to the height and strength of shifter I need to raise my arm. Im short though, so I have short arms, but still....

- Wow what a short throw! It will take some time getting use to it... Very nice.

- I love the notchiness. Very clean kerthunk. You can hear your shifting.

- That white ball is not cool like I thought it would be! It clashes with the whole interior.

- During install I had the worst time trying to angle the old shifter out and the new one in. I almost cried.

- That clip holding the stock shifter to the floorboard is hell if you don't expect it. I almost cried.

- Use thread locker! I can see several of these bolts coming out fairly easily if you don't.

Anyways, yes.

hammeron 08-23-2007 10:45 AM

RE: Just installed Hurst shifter...

nice, the STS is on my to do list

hogpowr 08-23-2007 11:06 AM

I like mine, just give the white ballsome time, maybe it will grow on you. What color interior do you have?

marcuskeeler 08-23-2007 11:09 AM

- My tranny isn't clunking nearly as much now. Why? Is the shifter not engaging the gears all of the way or did the stock shifter uhm promote clunking?
It is clunking as much, it's the placebo effect taking over your perception ;)

- Not very impressed with height or needed strength of shifter.... I thought I could rest my elbow on the console and just flick my wrist. I can't. Due to the height and strength of shifter I need to raise my arm. Im short though, so I have short arms, but still....
You need a different shaped body. Check Ebay.

- Wow what a short throw! It will take some time getting use to it... Very nice.
Everybody who see's it and tries it will agree, it's sweet isn't it? :)

Get's boring that clunkiness. I reckon you'll be trying ways to shift without kerthunking, I do.

- That white ball is not cool like I thought it would be! It clashes with the whole interior.
Retro baby. Chrome wouldn't to it, it'd be ricey then.

- During install I had the worst time trying to angle the old shifter out and the new one in. I almost cried.
Removing the driveshaft isn't absolutely required but it helps

- That clip holding the stock shifter to the floorboard is hell if you don't expect it. I almost cried.
At least you are in touch with your feminine side, that's good [8D]

- Use thread locker! I can see several of these bolts coming out fairly easily if you don't.
'tis true. It's a pain in the rear the first time you realise this. I was 50 miles from home and had to stop off at a garage for an allen key LOL

Welcome to the Hurst club, and for being a good sport.

Marcus
;)

howarmat 08-23-2007 11:15 AM

give it time to break in....the shifts get easier but this is why i state that the MGW and hurst are opposites....you cant compare the 2

doctorstrobe 08-23-2007 11:22 AM

Aren't the poly bushings in the Hurst supposed to stop the tranny from twisting as much as with the stock rubber bushings?
The shifter does attach to both the body and the tranny so I figure it must help somewhat...

ohnoesaz 08-23-2007 11:37 AM

Maybe thats why some tranny clunk is gone? My other thought is maybe the shifts are so fast now that the clunk happens, but much faster than before so I don't hear it... Who knows. For $200 and with high expectations, I am more than satisfied.

acascianelli 08-23-2007 11:46 AM

My still "clunks" as much as it did with the stock shifter.

Try to fine someone with the FRPP short shifter and trade shafts. Both are made by hurst and will fit.

40% shorter, makes every other shifter seem like a truck.

You can get a black one, or something else.

The old one coming out was easy, putting the Hurst back in too a few minutes.

Me too, couldn't figure out why it wasn't coming out until.

The guy who I bought mine off of shipped it in a crappy box so I lost the bolts. I had to buy different ones, I just made sure they were the same length and thread size. I didn't use thread locker on my bolts and they aren't loose yet.

howarmat 08-23-2007 12:19 PM

Alot of the clunks are from the 2 piece DS, which you just got rid of also

Margarita Girl 08-23-2007 12:24 PM

I like the click, clack of the shifter. Gives me more confidence that I'm in gear and I'm shifting alot surer and quicker with the Hurst.

With the white knob, anyone who glances in the car can see I'm driving a standard and am serious about my car. A bit of pride that yea, this lady drives a stick.