Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on CAI + Tune only OR Tune + Dyno only

Old 08-23-2007, 10:51 AM
nkx1
2nd Gear Member

Default Question on CAI + Tune only OR Tune + Dyno only

Ok, so here's a question that I have not seen answered so far, by searching anyways... From what I understand, a CAI + tune can give you anywere from 15-20 or so extra hp at most, if you received a custom tune from Brenspeed or B a ma chips.

But what if I skipped the CAI (saving $200 or so), and got my car dyno tuned with the stock air box? Would the net result be equivalent (or maybe better) than the CAI + brenspeed/ b a ma chipstune, even though I would be utilizing only the stock air box and tune?

I just don't like the possibility of getting more dirt into my engine etc with the CAI, especially since the car will be my daily driver as soon as I sell my Solara. I know I'm going to be too lazy to clean the CAI filter (much easier to just pop in a new stock filter when necessary), plus when I need dealer service, it will be easier to just flash back to stock, rather than flashand take out the CAI.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:59 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Question on CAI + Tune only OR Tune + Dyno only

I have found a CAI does close to nothing for these cars... Its all in the tune. I got a tune with my stock box and the car woke up. Then I added a CAI with an adjusted tune and there really was no difference with that.

I'd go for stock box + dyno tune. Because then you can flash back to stock if you go to the dealer without removing a CAI

But about the dirt thing, CAIs do not give more dirt at all. In fact, they may filter better than the stock box.... As for laziness cleaning the filter, S&B which makes filters for the JLT intake say to go 50K miles between cleanings, though some people say 15K is more likely. The point is its not a monthly thing, more like a yearly thing.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:06 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

this is not really the best way to go.....your concerns arent really problems....unless you like in texas or something there will not be more dirt getting into the engine and you will see some gains with a dyno tune but you will get more with the CAI added......the stock airflow is decent but not the best to try and get good gains. CAI./tune combo will get 25+ HP...you would get that with a dyno tune and no CAI.....I suggest you research more because there is a lot of info out there relating to your debate.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:09 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: ohnoesaz

I have found a CAI does close to nothing for these cars... Its all in the tune. I got a tune with my stock box and the car woke up. Then I added a CAI with an adjusted tune and there really was no difference with that.
You might not be able to feel the difference but i assure you there is another 8-10 HP fromt the CAI
Old 08-23-2007, 01:12 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nkx1
From what I understand, a CAI + tune can give you anywere from 15-20 or so extra hp at most, if you received a custom tune from Brenspeed or B a ma chips.
I thought that a custom tune and intake was good for 25-30hp.

If I were you I'd just get the intake and tune together. Check on the filter every once in a while, and clean it ever 6-8 months.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:42 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

But what if I skipped the CAI (saving $200 or so), and got my car dyno tuned with the stock air box? Would the net result be equivalent (or maybe better) than the CAI + brenspeed/ b a ma chipstune,
What most are forgetting is that few people know how to tune these cars better than Brent and Doug. I don't care if you car is "custom" tuned or not. I'd bet you'd get a better tune from them mail orderedthan a typical local shop would give you, and it'd be less money.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:23 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: drbobvs

But what if I skipped the CAI (saving $200 or so), and got my car dyno tuned with the stock air box? Would the net result be equivalent (or maybe better) than the CAI + brenspeed/ b a ma chipstune,
What most are forgetting is that few people know how to tune these cars better than Brent and Doug. I don't care if you car is "custom" tuned or not. I'd bet you'd get a better tune from them mail orderedthan a typical local shop would give you, and it'd be less money.
+100 and nobody seems to get this....I agree that if you find a good shop that has done plenty of s197 and trust it that is one thing.....but these are so much different that the mustangs in the past. I will go get a dyno tune from brenspeed in a little while, but i only live 2 hours away so that is not an option for many.......hell i would probably drive to alabama for doug to tune it if I live within 5-8 hours. It will be interesting to see how much more brent can squeeze out of my car compared to dougs race tune. I cant imagine it will be alot. Not everyone has a good dyno shop around them that they can trust and I feel the the services that Brent and Doug provide are essential for the mustang community
Old 08-23-2007, 07:39 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

[sm=exactly.gif]
Old 08-23-2007, 09:22 PM
nkx1
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for all the replies on this

It kind of sucks though... i did some additional searching, and some people seem to think that a custom dyno tune is the only way to go (since each car is different), and others feel that the "custom canned" tunes from b a ma or brenspeed are the way to go.

I live in So Cal (orange county), so I should be able to find a place that specializes in S197 tuning, and I guess that would be optimal. but it sounds like a good second best is a "custom canned" tune from b a ma or brenspeed.

I'm just afraid of detonation or other inadequacy if I get a non dyno-tune, even if it is from brenspeed or b a ma,
Old 08-23-2007, 09:29 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

If you live in so cal you should be able to find a shop pretty close....they seem to grow like oranges out there....the midwest isnt quite like that

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question on CAI + Tune only OR Tune + Dyno only