Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody Heel/Toe in their 5sp?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 01:22 PM
A_J
2nd Gear Member

Default Anybody Heel/Toe in their 5sp?

So I've been trying to break myself of some bad driving habits now that I've got enough power to get into trouble if one's not careful - mostly around my downshifting.. been working on the throttle blip on down-shifting, going ok.. And don't laugh, I've been trying out heel/toe downshifting on my Xbox (with steering wheel and pedals of course). But the Xbox pedals on that are spaced closer and the gas has a bit of a lip for facilitating this.

However, on the Mustang, the stock pedals don't seem to be all that ideal for heel/toe downshifting. I have average feet too - 10 1/2. So alter technique? Alter pedals? Anybody out there who races their GT manual have any insight on special things you may have done to heel/toe well with the stock pedals?

Thx-
Old 08-23-2007, 01:30 PM
04 40th gt
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Anybody Heel/Toe in their 5sp?

I have tried this Heel/toe technique and find issues with large feet. I average size 12 to 13 depending on the shoe and it is really hard. I am interested in hearing some of this insight as well..
Old 08-23-2007, 01:38 PM
nkx1
2nd Gear Member

Sorry for the lame question, but what is heel toe downshifting? I'm extraordinarily lazy, or else I would try to google it. But I'd like to try it if I can figure out how to do it...
Old 08-23-2007, 01:42 PM
s2k
5th Gear Member

DONT DO IT!. If you do it wrong your going to blow out the clutch. I dont "downshift" or use the transmission to "brake" like some online people tell you.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:45 PM
chain1
4th Gear Member

I do, it was a bit of a problem at first with the way the throttle hangs but you get used to it. The pedals are close enough together for me (9.5). I was actually smoother doing it in my dodge dakota but I've only had this care about 6 weeks now so I think I'll get used to it. Also Ilearned to do this when I first learned how to drive a stick 16 years ago so I've been doing it for a while. It's a great feeling when you get it right. Even if you just double clutch downshift without braking to get used to matching revs, it's alot of fun and ultimately makes for a smoother ride. (not tomention it sounds greatwhen you blip the throttle to match the revs....)
Old 08-23-2007, 01:45 PM
A_J
2nd Gear Member

Well the basic theory is this -
When driving at the limits of tire adhesion, if you just downshift and let out the clutch, the sudden shock to the drivetrain from engine braking can unload the rear and induce a slide, or the added weight shift to the fronts can overload them and then you're really screwed.

So the throttle blip is a way of bringing the engine speed up to the driveline speed on a downshift, thus not slowing the car at all, and not upsetting balance.

The heel/toe is the extension of this, while braking into a corner entry, also downshift AND blip the throttle. So you end up having to apply steady brake with your right foot and roll it onto the gas to blip the throttle to be able to brake and downshift simultaneously.

Of course, this is a basic explanation of what is really an art..
Old 08-23-2007, 01:46 PM
Jito007
2nd Gear Member

^^same here I dont downshift to break, that is what the breaks are for.. and to the OP I have tried, I read up on it online and I tried to do it, It took me quite a while to get the whole timing right but Its not that bad, however,I barely do it. I have size 13 feet and I find it that it probably would be easier with bigger feet due to the fact that your foot can span across both pedals
Old 08-23-2007, 01:48 PM
A_J
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: s2k

DONT DO IT!. If you do it wrong your going to blow out the clutch. I dont "downshift" or use the transmission to "brake" like some online people tell you.
Actually the whole point of it is to not downshift to slow the car, and to be able to do it in a way that minimizes driveline shock and upsetting balance. You've gotta downshift sometime, I'm just trying to do it the best way..
Old 08-23-2007, 01:55 PM
chain1
4th Gear Member

If you do it right, there is absolutely nothing wrong with downshifting to slow your car down. For example, going down a steep hill, go to a lower gear so that you don't have to ride the brakes the whole way down. Also, in racing situations you don't want to be stuck in the middle of a corner in the wrong gear, so you would want to downshift as you are entering the corner. Been doing it a long time, never had to replace a clutch.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:20 PM
sleeper2
3rd Gear Member

For some reason, heel-toe shifting seems to be associated with abusing the car, but on the street I simply use it to keep closer control of the engine's parameters. Besides (to me) having better control of the car, it is enjoyable and smooths out the drive (rpms) a bit. When I'm bored, I pick an rpm and try to mimic an auto tranny's smoothness while increasing and decreasing speeds /slowing to turn in traffic. (I'm not saying this has merit, I'm just saying this is what I do.)

I think the pedals are actually better situated than a lot of other cars.

Because of Knee/hip pain, I now have my right foot pointing slightly to the right and rock the foot side to side between the pedals with the heel stationary on the floor. (This is a self-admitted bad habit I've developed, because as the speeds (brake pedal travel needs) increases, I go back to the other way of heel by the gas, right foot pointing to the left over the brake.)

There is really no engine/drive train "strain," I just think it gives me better control and allows me to react better.

Threeunasked for hints: (regarding street traffic)
1. Get the downshifting done before the turn if possible (I believe it's safer to do this) Again, this is just me.
2. Do NOT practice (start to learn this) if there are other cars around you.
3. Your hands, both of them, should be on the wheel unless the gear shift is moving.

Hopefully this helps someone, In NO WAY am I saying I'm an expert, as I'm self taught and I'm sure I have plenty of bad habits.

Sleeper2

Quick Reply: Anybody Heel/Toe in their 5sp?