Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring diagram for the headlight switches

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 04:56 AM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Wiring diagram for the headlight switches

ORIGINAL: StantheMan

Spend $300.00 buck and convert to a mycolor dash, the dash installs in 15 minutes, works like a charm and you will be able to have any color lights you want and as a bonus, you get a an oil guage and Volt meter.
That's what I would like to do. The only problem that I thought with this is the guys with th 06+ can't since ford stop putting the harnesses in for the non-mycolor cars... I thought they started to doing it in the late 05 cars...
Old 08-28-2007, 09:59 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

I'll get the whosows and whatsits for the wires
but I double, triple checked and there is no magical
wire that one can cut for what you want. I'll edit
this soon as I have the connector pinout in front
of me.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:12 AM
nkx1
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Boozshey

ORIGINAL: StantheMan

Spend $300.00 buck and convert to a mycolor dash, the dash installs in 15 minutes, works like a charm and you will be able to have any color lights you want and as a bonus, you get a an oil guage and Volt meter.
That's what I would like to do. The only problem that I thought with this is the guys with th 06+ can't since ford stop putting the harnesses in for the non-mycolor cars... I thought they started to doing it in the late 05 cars...
To my understanding, there is no way to set the same color white in the mycolor either. Furthermore, I don't want to listen to that stupid back up chime and over 75mph chime that the aftermarket mycolors seem to have.

I'll get the whosows and whatsits for the wires
but I double, triple checked and there is no magical
wire that one can cut for what you want. I'll edit
this soon as I have the connector pinout in front
of me.
Yes, I would be very interested in any specific info you can offer either way.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:05 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

C220 BLACK Insturment Cluster
1 not used
2 BK GROUND
3 LG/RD CONSTANT VOLTAGE
4 not used
5 not used
6 GY/OG Message Center Switch Signal
7 TN/OG Message Center Switch Return
8 not used
9 not used
10 not used
11 not used
12 not used
13 LG/VT Key Warning Switch Signal
14 PK/OG Med Speed Can -
15 WH/OG Med Speed Can +
16 not used
17 PK/LG High Speed Can -
18 WH/LG High Speed Can +
19 not used
20 WH/PK Traction Control Switch Signal
21 VT Traction Control Ind.
22 not used
23 LB/PK Air Bag/Safety Belt Status Tone Control
24 BK/YE Air Bag Ind Control
25 RD/YE Voltage - Start/Run
26 PK/BK Voltage - Start/Run

Not much there about the backlight color selector wire.
Urban Legend.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:01 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

What about the wiring behind the headlight switch???
Old 08-28-2007, 08:27 PM
nkx1
2nd Gear Member

Hmm, cool thanks for noting the wire codes 157db, and for the PM. I'm still kind of in disbelief though; I'm sure there is a solution, we just don't know what it is.

Here's why I think there must be a way:It appears that each wire, based on your info, has a specific purpose (such as turning one function on or off via a voltage signal). It's not like an RJ45 computer network cable that digitally transmits numerous packets of information at once with only 8 wires, or even a 2-wire telephone cable thattransmits multiple types of information at once. So if each one of the cluster wires only has one purpose, one of them has to do what we (don't) want it to do. Unless I'm underestimating the design, and contrary to the coding, each wire actually does do more than simply send a voltage signal.

Very frustrating![:@]
Old 08-29-2007, 07:15 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: nkx1

Hmm, cool thanks for noting the wire codes 157db, and for the PM. I'm still kind of in disbelief though; I'm sure there is a solution, we just don't know what it is.

Here's why I think there must be a way:It appears that each wire, based on your info, has a specific purpose (such as turning one function on or off via a voltage signal). WRONG It's not like an RJ45 computer network cable that digitally transmits numerous packets of information at once with only 8 wires, or even a 2-wire telephone cable thattransmits multiple types of information at once.WRONG So if each one of the cluster wires only has one purpose, one of them has to do what we (don't) want it to do. WRONG Unless I'm underestimating the design, and contrary to the coding, each wire actually does do more than simply send a voltage signal. WRONG

Very frustrating![:@]
The med and hi speed can bus wires are just like the RJ45 or Ethernet as it is called.
There are a few direct connections but they dont control the dash light color in a non
MyColor cluster. The Message center switches hook direct.
The key warning, Traction Control Switch, Air Bag Status.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:57 AM
nkx1
2nd Gear Member

Oh, gotcha. Well, at least we tried! Thanks again for looking into this. I guess I can go ahead and put my car back together now lol. I really wish I would have known this before I so naively cut the wires; I'll never do that again before double checking myself.

What do you think about the headlight switch wires? Do you think that would be worth tampering with, or would that also not likely work? The one wire I tried did not work on the switch itself.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:18 AM
StantheMan
2nd Gear Member

Here is a thread where I bought the my color dash. If you give them a toll free call and give them your VIN number they will look it up and tell you if you have the wiring harness for the my color dash. Good people, the dash cost me about $260.00, the 3 switches that control my color and computer functions cost about $40.00. With shipping the set up cost me about $310.00, took only 20 minutes to install. The reverse chime and 75 mph warning chime can be reprogrammed for about $40.00 bucks.If you have a tuner be careful on the reprogram, you have to document the as built data.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:19 AM
StantheMan
2nd Gear Member

Forgot to put the link, got involved in the details. Dah!!!!

http://www.millenniumford.com/

Quick Reply: Wiring diagram for the headlight switches