Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Install CAI first or axel-backs first?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 04:50 PM
MachRanger
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Install CAI first or axel-backs first?

Both mods are pretty simple but if anything will give you trouble, it'll be the CAI and tune. More steps involved and more to get hooked back up just right. Make sure everything's in good working order then slap on the MACs. The axlebacks won't give you any trouble except for rattling if you don't get everything tightened properly but they won't cause any engine problems at all. The toughest part for me was getting the fit adjusted so they looked good, lol. Good choices, you'll love 'em!
Old 08-27-2007, 05:20 PM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

If I could do my mods over again, I'd do CAI/tuner first, but an assload of other stuff BEFORE the useless a/b's...gears, rear ca's, tires at least...
Old 08-27-2007, 05:39 PM
300GT
3rd Gear Member

I guess maybe I didn't phrase my question correctly. If I was going to do one of these projects one weekend, and one the following weekend, which would/should I do first? Does it make any difference which I do first or not? If it does, could you please give me a reaon why? Again, not an issue of which to buy first - I'm buying it all at once.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:43 PM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

neither is a weekend project...the CAI might take an hour if you're rummaging around in your box for the right tools, the tuner upload takes maybe two minutes, and the a/b's shouldn't take long at all...just two clamps to undo, then make sure you get your tailpipes straight. Just do em both in one morning, should be done before the sun gets too high in the sky and bakes your ***
Old 08-27-2007, 05:48 PM
300GT
3rd Gear Member

Again, it's probably my OCD nature, but I was going to do one one weekend, see if I experience any problems, and if not do the other the following weekend (easier to diagnose problems with fewer variables). Just want to know if it matters in what order. I was leaning towards exhaust first, tuner/CAI second.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:54 PM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 300GT

Again, it's probably my OCD nature, but I was going to do one one weekend, see if I experience any problems, and if not do the other the following weekend (easier to diagnose problems with fewer variables). Just want to know if it matters in what order. I was leaning towards exhaust first, tuner/CAI second.
you aren't going to run into any problems with either...the CAI/tuner is a no-brainer,and the only thing to remember about the a/b is to double check the tightness of the exhaust clamps after one heating and cooldown cycle...
p.s. what is a GT300 and is it me or do you have v6 pony pkg fogs and grille on your car?
Old 08-27-2007, 06:23 PM
Pwny
4th Gear Member

Definitely the CAI/tune. I would also suggest a different CAI, like Steeda, or JLT. However, I have no idea what your budget limitations are. The point remains the same though; have fun modding your car!
Old 08-27-2007, 07:16 PM
300GT
3rd Gear Member

Regular GT grille - just an aftermarket corral around pony. Check out my galley pics for a better look.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:23 PM
Toad
1st Gear Member

I'm going with the FRPP CAI (comes with a tune), FRPP X-Pipe, and 3.73s next week. Did you know that with FRPP packs installed by a dealer you won't void your warranty? With some packs it will degrade your warranty from a 5-year 60,000 to a 3-year 36,000, depending. You can even do the 115HP blower! Man, if I had 5 grand I didn't know what else to do with....
Old 08-27-2007, 07:39 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

it cant degrade you warranty....your either ****ed or not ****ed.....

screw the warranty and the "conservative" frpp tune/cai.....get a real combo from the real tuners!!

Quick Reply: Install CAI first or axel-backs first?