Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bumper fitment issue?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2020, 11:05 AM
Rainier

Default Bumper fitment issue?

Several years ago my 2008 Mustang GT decided to drive into a fence, and ended up at a body shop. I had to fight them to get a lot of things right, but at the end of the day gave up and said 'well, good enough, I'll fix it someday myself if I have to." One thing that always bugged me was the fitment of the front bumper. It's always seemed a bit off, in particular around the headlights. It's admittedly, REALLY minor, and I don't really see a way to fix it. I suspect if I took the bumper off and tried to align it properly it would just end up the same way or worse. Am I missing something here? Or is this just as good as I'm going to get with a vehicle that has had both the bumper and fender replaced, even if the parts were OEM? Also, it needs a bath!

Old 10-23-2020, 01:38 AM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

there really isnt much adjustment for the front bumper cover. its held on by the clip pins up top, a screw on each side and 2 bolts installed in the fender (remove the nuts) on each side behind the front wheel well splash guards. if it really bothers you, you can pull it off and use a heat gun to help form it to the shape you want and reinstall. use the heat gun on the back and dont get it too hot to effect the paint, have a wet towel nearby to help cool it down when you get it where you want it. good luck
Old 10-23-2020, 09:59 AM
Rainier

Originally Posted by bl817
there really isnt much adjustment for the front bumper cover. its held on by the clip pins up top, a screw on each side and 2 bolts installed in the fender (remove the nuts) on each side behind the front wheel well splash guards. if it really bothers you, you can pull it off and use a heat gun to help form it to the shape you want and reinstall. use the heat gun on the back and dont get it too hot to effect the paint, have a wet towel nearby to help cool it down when you get it where you want it. good luck
Thank you! That really answers my question. It sounds like the bumper cover itself is just slightly out of shape, which doesn't surprise me given the body shop also had much worse issues with the rear bumper cover. It's probably not worth it to do what you suggest, but if I ever have the bumper cover off, I'll give it a try. Realistically, if I have the bumper cover off I probably have bigger issues at that point!
Old 10-24-2020, 06:10 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

There is a bracket behind there made of fairly flimsy metal that can be replaced and would probably fix that. I had a similar gap (a bit wider), and there are 3 studs on that bracket and the last stud was broke or the bracket bent, replaced it and bolted the 3 nuts up and good as new.
https://lmr.com/item/LRS-17857A-L/le...r-bracket-0509
https://www.americanmuscle.com/left-...cket-0509.html
Old 10-25-2020, 05:09 PM
Rainier

Originally Posted by danzcool
There is a bracket behind there made of fairly flimsy metal that can be replaced and would probably fix that. I had a similar gap (a bit wider), and there are 3 studs on that bracket and the last stud was broke or the bracket bent, replaced it and bolted the 3 nuts up and good as new.
https://lmr.com/item/LRS-17857A-L/le...r-bracket-0509
https://www.americanmuscle.com/left-...cket-0509.html
interesting. It would zero percent surprise me to find out the idiots at the body shop did to bother to replace this if it was broken. I’ll look into this. Thank you!