Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing alarm on my own

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 10:21 PM
luckydawg003
4th Gear Member

Default Installing alarm on my own

Just asking if anyone added an alarm to their mustang? I just got a Python 990 alarm. If you do have an alarm did you install it yourself, and if so how hard was it to do? Thanks
Old 08-27-2007, 10:47 PM
azstanglover
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Anyone add a aftermarket alarm to their car?

Look on your window sticker. It should say if you have the alarm or not.

I had a dealer installed factory alarm for a week that just sucked. A lot of false alarms. I got my money back and went and bought a Viper system with a LCD pager remote for less than what the dealer was going to charge me. I'm much happier with this alarm system than the one the dealer wanted to sell me.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:26 AM
bjaeger2003

I have a Viper too. A bunch of kids were breaking into cars near where I live about a week after I bought the car so I got one. It's been great. No problems. Plus the blue LED light looks great coming thru the tinted windows on my Vista blue car at night. I'd say go for it.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:49 AM
azstanglover
2nd Gear Member

And an alarm is something that you can do yourself if you're used to installing that kind of stuff. It can get complicated though so it's probably better left to someone that knows what they are doing and has experience doing it
Old 08-28-2007, 09:08 AM
Ferrari0324
1st Gear Member

I have a Viper 5002, same as above with the LED pager that tells you what is happening and when it is happening. I didn't want the factory alarm system in it, plus my remote is much nicer looking than the factory one. I had a Viper on my Honda before the Mustang and was completely satisfied, and is probably the only manufacturer I will ever use.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:14 AM
Tungsten06GT
2nd Gear Member

Where is your guys' siren installed? Mine was in plain view under the hood and when my car got broken into the theives simply popped the hood and cut the ground wire, silencing the siren. I was out of range so the two-way remote didn't alarm me.

I'm getting the siren remounted somewhere else but not sure, just wanted to see where I could get it so that no one could tamper with it.

Also, think about getting an alternate battery too for powering the siren. Theives could cut power to your car, but a backup battery would keep the siren going.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:50 AM
07MustangGT_girl
2nd Gear Member

I have the top of the line Viper alarm on my Mustang with the blue flashing light as well. I would definitely recommend this as you can adjust the sensors with the remote. I don't know where they installed the siren at in mine... You should have a professional install it for you, don't take that chance to screw all the wiring up. Unless, of course you are mechanically inclined and have done it before. Good luck! Let us know what you decide to do.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:55 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Aftermarket alarms are great when properly installed
but s%ck s%it when improperly installed. Stangs
present their own set of problems to installers that
few can overcome.[:@]
Fixeda lot of cr@ppy "professional" installations.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:24 AM
BigDave
3rd Gear Member

I installed an Autopage with two-way remote. I used to wire aircraft, so I can read wiring diagrams and understand the process. I found the install moderately difficult. You really need the factory wiring diagrams to figure out where things need to go. I had to place diodes in the wires to the door locks (no mention in the instructions) to make it work properly. The SJB has to be pulled and several wires attached to its cables. I really would have a hard time letting some punk at the local shop playing with sensitive wiring on my car...but that is just me. BTW, I really do not trust Ford mechanics either.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:08 PM
ANBAUTO
4th Gear Member

Not on my mustang yet but on my old car we had a clifford with the pager so i know what was going on and for sirens we put one in each fender and then one air siren inside the car as well... that worked great.

Quick Reply: Installing alarm on my own