Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DiabloSport Predator vs. SCT X-Cal2

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 11:40 PM
sailing220
4th Gear Member

Default DiabloSport Predator vs. SCT X-Cal2

I'm a complete tuning noob and I'm wanting to get a CAI/Tuner package. Is there anything I need to know regarding these tuners? Can one do things the other can't? Etc...
Old 08-27-2007, 11:44 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Default RE: DiabloSport Predator vs. SCT X-Cal2

Since the only Diablo tuner, b@m@chips.com, has gone down the toilet, I now wish I got an SCT! Then you can go to brenspeed, evo, etc.

Sorry about the knock on b@machips, but they stink lately. It takes over a week to get a tune, a month to get a CAI+tune. On top of that the tunes have been less than par lately, and myself and another member couldn't get a re-tune, just BS emails that beat around the bush. Some people say the owner is busy but uhm... Isn't that why a business then hires more people?

Again, sorry for the knock, butb@ma isn'ta forum sponser like brenspeed an evo anyways,so imo go to a sponser and get an X-cal
Old 08-27-2007, 11:46 PM
sailing220
4th Gear Member

Well...you've helped me for sure..I was trying to decided between b@m@ and Brenspeed...I think I'll go with Brenspeed...I've heard nothing but good about him. Thanks.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:48 PM
thxultra
2nd Gear Member

I went with the xcal2 just because all 4 big tunners write tunes for it. B@M@, Brenspeed, evolution and VMP while b@m@ is the only one I know that still supports diablo. I haven't ordered my tune yet but I plan on going b@m@ because I hear his auto tune is the best. I have only heard good things about Brenspeed. Still trying to get info on how good evolutions tune is. Anyway I just got my c&l and sct in the mail yesterday (great ebay deal) and can't wait to install it
Old 08-28-2007, 01:01 PM
Pwny
4th Gear Member

Both tuners will essentially do the same thing. The only thing that will be different about each tuner will be where you got the tuner from. To my knowledge, even then, the actual tune won't be that much different.

I use an SCT XCal 2 tuned by Steeda.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:29 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

I'd go with sct due its being more widely supported
Old 08-28-2007, 01:31 PM
Heavyg72
3rd Gear Member

I haven't used b a m a but have used both Evo and Brenspeed. The Brenspeed tune for my auto was very good with no complaints. Consistently chirped 1-2 and 2-3. A bit biased but their customer service is tops as well.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:43 PM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

i did a thread on this a long time ago comparing the two in full
Old 08-28-2007, 01:52 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

Yep do some seraching and you'll find loads of info. But in a nutshell, here is what you need to know...

Everyone in this thread is talking about CANNED TUNES and NONE OF THEM are superior to a custom dyno tune...period.

Last year, the only difference in capabilities was the sct allowed you to tune and firm shift points on autos and the predator did not. Now, they both allow for it and have the exact same functions.

The important thing to remember is that they are just tuners. Neither is 'BETTER' than the other. They are simply a means of inputing data. It is the guy who is using them that matters.

The important thing is not which hand held to use, but which tuner you are going to use to work with it. You need to decide on who is going to tune your car and then buy the unit that HE is the most comfortable and knowledgeable with. Your opinion really doesn't matter in this equation. It's all about what your tuner likes.

The canned tunes seem to really favor the sct and the custom tuners seem to favor the predator from my experience.

The world record holder and the next two in line are all tuned with a predator...

Again, that doesn't mean that predator is better, it just means that the top 3 cars happened to use it. There are very fast cars tuned with SCT as well. So bottom line is - forget about which tuner and focus on who is going to tune yur car and go with what they use.

Old 08-28-2007, 01:57 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

The tuners themselves dont really make a difference....you local dyno place that you MIGHT go to will probably only use 1 of the 2 though so you want to check this out. This should always be in peoples minds. Just because the SCT seems popular, the guy down the street might actually only use diablo.

Quick Reply: DiabloSport Predator vs. SCT X-Cal2