Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Whipple Quirk: Odometer is WAY OUT! HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 05:20 PM
Taboo
1st Gear Member

Default First Whipple Quirk: Odometer is WAY OUT! HELP!!

Ok, day 1 of driving with the Whipple HO in. It has a whacky quirk: the odemeter is reading FAST, like VERY fast. I drove about 10kms (Canada) and my odemeter told me I drove 48!!!!!

The Speedometer is reading correctly....seems to be burning an acceptable amount of gas. As a spin-off, my "Kilometres to Empty" is also on fast forward.

Could be the Ford Racing Tune or ????? Anyone had this happen after a S/C install and canned tune???

Old 08-30-2007, 05:22 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Default RE: First Whipple Quirk: Odometer is WAY OUT! HELP!!

Wow, that stinks. You're basically devaluing the car 4x faster than normal. Stop driving!!!!!
Old 08-30-2007, 05:36 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

If the speedo is correct i am not sure what would cause the odometer to be off....strange
Old 08-30-2007, 05:42 PM
nkx1
2nd Gear Member

Granted I'm totally naive to the F/I world, but could the tune ba incorrectly calibrated? I know tunes obviously have to be adjusted for gears and such.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:53 PM
doctorstrobe
2nd Gear Member

Must be in the FRPP tune. I'd contact them and see if they've heard about this before. Maybe your the first one they shipped to Canada?
They probably messed something up in the metric conversions...

I know my speedometer is just a bit off, it's about 3 MPH too high as compared to my GPS.
Before the FRPP tune it was dead on with the GPS.
When you order the FRPP tune you have to give them the tire circumference which I assume is for the speedo calibration.
I had no idea so I just got it from some tire website that sold the Pirelli P-Zero tires...

It is really strange that the speedo is correct but the odometer isn't.

Old 08-30-2007, 05:53 PM
Taboo
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nkx1

Granted I'm totally naive to the F/I world, but could the tune ba incorrectly calibrated? I know tunes obviously have to be adjusted for gears and such.
When you get the Whipple, you get a sheet from Ford Racing that you send to them. You have to put on pieces of information like your VIN, your tire diameter, your gears and a number off of the PCM case.

I could understand if the Speedo AND the Odometer were both equally off....but just the ONE? Doesn't jive to me...

Old 08-30-2007, 05:57 PM
Taboo
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: doctorstrobe

Must be in the FRPP tune. I'd contact them and see if they've heard about this before. Maybe your the first one they shipped to Canada?
They probably messed something up in the metric conversions...

I know my speedometer is just a bit off, it's about 3 MPH too high as compared to my GPS.
Before the FRPP tune it was dead on with the GPS.
When you order the FRPP tune you have to give them the tire circumference which I assume is for the speedo calibration.
I had no idea so I just got it from some tire website that sold the Pirelli P-Zero tires...

It is really strange that the speedo is correct but the odometer isn't.

Do you recall what measurement you sent in for your tire diameter? It asked for a cubed measurement but the diagram showing how to measure said to measure the circumference.

Still though, they BOTH should work or they BOTH should be out!
Old 08-30-2007, 06:10 PM
doctorstrobe
2nd Gear Member

They asked for tire circumference.
I entered 85.35 inches. I wrote it down on the voucher paper...

I think these cars use the ABS sensors to read the wheel speed and then calculate a MPH reading.
(as opposed to the old way of having a cable geared right off of the transmission output shaft)
It's possible that the computer is just reading the pulses from the ABS sensors, and one part of the firmware
is managing the speedometer and another part of the firmware is calculating the odometer values...
FRPP may have forgot to adjust the odometer code for metric... ?
For the speedo they probably wouldn't even bother calculating the actual MPH or Kmph, they would just equate
a certain number of sensor pulses per second to some voltage to drive the speedometer motor at.
I do this kind of computer programming at work... That's how I'd do it...

Old 08-30-2007, 06:32 PM
Taboo
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: doctorstrobe

They asked for tire circumference.
I entered 85.35 inches. I wrote it down on the voucher paper...

I think these cars use the ABS sensors to read the wheel speed and then calculate a MPH reading.
(as opposed to the old way of having a cable geared right off of the transmission output shaft)
It's possible that the computer is just reading the pulses from the ABS sensors, and one part of the firmware
is managing the speedometer and another part of the firmware is calculating the odometer values...
FRPP may have forgot to adjust the odometer code for metric... ?
For the speedo they probably wouldn't even bother calculating the actual MPH or Kmph, they would just equate
a certain number of sensor pulses per second to some voltage to drive the speedometer motor at.
I do this kind of computer programming at work... That's how I'd do it...

Ok, I entered 84" around so we are not far off. 85.35 has a linerdifference of 1.35" and a diameter difference of mice nuts, not enough to make it as far out as it is.

As for the miles vs. kilometers: 1 mile = 1.6 km. Hemmm. Wouldn't that mean that itwould think the car isgoingSLOWER and the Odemeter mileage be snail like?

Of course Ford Racing is closed until tomorrow.....
Old 08-30-2007, 07:21 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

hope ya get it fixed

Quick Reply: First Whipple Quirk: Odometer is WAY OUT! HELP!!