Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-22-2015, 07:09 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

DIY THROTTLE RESPONSE MOD (MUST SEE!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 02:19 PM
tube
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: DIY THROTTLE RESPONSE MOD (MUST SEE!)

By the edge of the strip, I mean the edge TOWARD the center of the board. The edge immediatlely in front of the gold pad, which the carbon is sprayed onto. We want the area right at the seam of the edge of the gold pad.

You want the brush to be right at the green line for minimum dead space.

Old 08-31-2007, 02:23 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tube

By the edge of the strip, I mean the edge TOWARD the center of the board. The edge immediatlely in front of the gold pad, which the carbon is sprayed onto. We want the area right at the seam of the edge of the gold pad.

You want the brush to be right at the green line for minimum dead space.

From that picture, it looks like the brush marks ARE at that green line. So how does your mod affect this?
Old 08-31-2007, 02:24 PM
tube
2nd Gear Member

The brush marks are very slightly back behind the line. That very slight difference on the circuit board, equates to a huge movement of the gas pedal. It's all about leverage, think about it. The slight bending of the brushes gets rid of that space between the green line and the former brush marks.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:26 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

+1??
Old 08-31-2007, 02:33 PM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

This is all making sense to me up to the point of WOT. Since this is a mechanical issue, the brushes are designed to start at one point and end at another. By bending the brushes, the contact is made sooner giving a better pedal response, but it will also stop the brushes earlier at the other end due to the new angle. Would the ECA compensate for this or are we robbing fuel at WOT by not allowing the brushes to continue to the originally designed spot at the end of the strip?
Old 08-31-2007, 02:43 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tube

The brush marks are very slightly back behind the line. That very slight difference on the circuit board, equates to a huge movement of the gas pedal. It's all about leverage, think about it. The slight bending of the brushes gets rid of that space between the green line and the former brush marks.
So looking at the picture, the brushes START in the area of the green line and move left on pedal depression, correct? if so, then the brush marks start to the LEFT of your green line. By bending them the way you suggest, that would make them start EVEN FARTHER LEFT than the green line. If the green line is the optimum starting point as you suggest,flattening the brushes would make thingswould make things worse. ?!?!?!?!!?!
Old 08-31-2007, 02:44 PM
tube
2nd Gear Member

Nothing is different at WOT, in fact, theoretically it would be a more consistant full throttle after the brushes were bent. You see, once the brushes get to the end of the carbon strip, they run into those gold pads, and once the brush is over the top of the gold pads on the other side, the ECU will always send the WOT signal to the throttle body.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:44 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: scramblr

This is all making sense to me up to the point of WOT. Since this is a mechanical issue, the brushes are designed to start at one point and end at another. By bending the brushes, the contact is made sooner giving a better pedal response, but it will also stop the brushes earlier at the other end due to the new angle. Would the ECA compensate for this or are we robbing fuel at WOT by not allowing the brushes to continue to the originally designed spot at the end of the strip?
I was thinking this also when someone else mentioned it.....dont know how to test the WOT part easily though.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:45 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: scramblr

By bending the brushes, the contact is made sooner giving a better pedal response...
But it's NOT made sooner..there is ALWAYS contact. the brushes don't lift off the strip, they stay in contact with the strip and slide across it. bending the brushes changes WHERE they contact the strip, not when.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:47 PM
kleistang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 157db

ORIGINAL: acrokat

I have a question.

By changing the angle of the brushes, we are changing the area where the brushes contact the track. My question is what happens if we adjust these brushes too far and they contact the Plates on the other side of the track. this would happen under a WOT scenario. I have modded your pic to clarify my question.

Exactly. Thats why the travel stop works much better than the bending method.
"Open thyn eyes for the sake of being blinded by the light."

What are you proposing ?

Quick Reply: DIY THROTTLE RESPONSE MOD (MUST SEE!)