Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

differential oil change

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 04:54 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: differential oil change

I think you have clearance without taking the panhard off.....not for sure though
Old 09-01-2007, 05:27 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Yes it clears the panhard just fine
Old 09-01-2007, 06:11 PM
94Blk5.0
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 281GT

If you were only able to get 2 quarts back in you left approx. half a quart in there. I just did this as part of a rear change and it took 2.5 liters. Almost exactly the same as 2.5 quarts.
In a 94 8.8? I thought it was 2qts., but if course, I could be wrong. Like I said, thats not the right way to do it, but I am going to school in the day, and working a full itme job at night, so I only had a limited amount of time.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:24 PM
CrazyHorse0217
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ohnoesaz

Yes it clears the panhard just fine
So you have done this before? It will suck if I drain the fluid and can't get the cover off. I finally got the stupid front filll plug loose (I actually BENT a 3" socket extention), but I can't get the freakin Roush wheel off to make it easy to access anything. It's like the sucker is pressed on. This is one of those deals where nothing is going right so I called it a night.

Thanks for the advice though.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:51 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Trust me, the cover clears the panhard bar. It takes some angling to get it back in, but it really does clear it.

Are you sure you need to remove the wheel? Maybe you should try without doing that. I did my whole drain and refill not only with the wheel on, but without jacking the car up! Made it easier to make sure the fluid refill level was correct.

Maybe you're a big guy? Just give it a try to slide in on your back and see how much space you have... When I did it I was even able to angle the fluid bottles up between the exhaust and driveshaft so they poured into the fill hole, without needing a pump.

Anyways, get under there and look around and relax. You might find things are easier than you think.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:10 PM
Taboo
1st Gear Member

Take the cover off. It's always a beautiful site to see your ring gear in all its glory. As stated, you CANNOT see all the nooks and crevices in your differential by sucking the fluid out.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:25 AM
CrazyHorse0217
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Taboo

Take the cover off. It's always a beautiful site to see your ring gear in all its glory. As stated, you CANNOT see all the nooks and crevices in your differential by sucking the fluid out.
Maybe I'll take another crack at it today. Just got a bit frustratedlast night after struggling with the fill plug. I went with Mobil 1 75W-140 gear oil, and all Advance Auto had for limited slipadditive was something called Trans-X (7fluid oz. tube). Maybe I should get a couple of 4 oz bottles of the Motorcraft friction modifier instead.

Thanks for all the advice. By the way, I am only 5'-8" and 155 lbs, but I think I'll still jack the car up for a bit more room. I know that I will need to lower it for correct level during fill up.

Old 09-02-2007, 04:58 PM
CrazyHorse0217
2nd Gear Member

Trust me, the cover clears the panhard bar. It takes some angling to get it back in, but it really does clear it.

Are you sure you need to remove the wheel? Maybe you should try without doing that. I did my whole drain and refill not only with the wheel on, but without jacking the car up! Made it easier to make sure the fluid refill level was correct.

Maybe you're a big guy? Just give it a try to slide in on your back and see how much space you have... When I did it I was even able to angle the fluid bottles up between the exhaust and driveshaft so they poured into the fill hole, without needing a pump.

Anyways, get under there and look around and relax. You might find things are easier than you think.
You were right. The floor jack and stand just get in the way. I was able to get to everything, but after removing the differential bolts I wasn't able to remove the cover. I was working on it cold, so maybe that made the liquid gasket a little harder to break loose, and of course, not a lot of room to work in, especially with a drain pan under the rear end. Anybody got any ideas on how to get the cover off without destroying cover or screwing up the contact surfaces?

Thanks again.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:50 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

I just pried lightly with a screw driver, along the edges. Just be careful and take your time.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:44 AM
CrazyHorse0217
2nd Gear Member

I just pried lightly with a screw driver, along the edges. Just be careful and take your time.
OK....I got the cover off, using a smaller screwdriver. I used Permatex RTV high temp silicone gasket maker, and it says to hand tighten for one hour then tighten down cover. It says the silicone will skin over in one hour and fully cure in 24 hours. Should I not drive till tomorrow? I'd like to test it out after a few hours. When the shop did this last time, I drove it off right away.

Any opinions.

Thanks for all the help Ohnoesaz. I was close to giving up. Now I need to put in theMobile One. I think I'm gonna try it without the modifier, and if the lsd groans, I can suck some out and add a couple of four oz bottles later. I'd add some now, but it's not the Motorcraft modifier.

Quick Reply: differential oil change