Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil filter relocation/oil cooler: Effects on oil pressure, bypass valve?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 03:59 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Default Oil filter relocation/oil cooler: Effects on oil pressure, bypass valve?

Hey all!

Anyways, here in Arizona I hate watching my temps creep past the midpoint so often. I"ve considered a larger radiator, but that will only help with coolant temps. Oil temps are the other half of the story. And a heat extractor hood is too much for me. I've decided I want to try and cool the oil down to the coolant/radiator level.

I've researched oil coolers but have found that they cool too well for near-stock cars.N/A mods may as well be considered stock imo.One particular Cadillac STS guy's review used the same oil cooler I was looking at. He had his temps drop from 240F to 115F. Yikes! No protection with that. He ended up having to wrap the cooler in foil or aluminum or something so it would keep the temps at a higher level, while somewhat cooling.

I've decided I *might* attempt an oil filter relocation, with dual filters. This will probably give me the extra cooling Arizona needs, by putting the twofilters away from the engine, and adding a quart to the system. I have found what seems like the safest oil relocation double-filter kit that won't need any modifications with hose lengths, connections or sandwich adapter.

My concern is our oil pressure.... Will it drop too much if oil relocation is performed? This kit will add 1 quart to the system and, most importantly, add about 4 feet of hose (2 ft to the relocation, 2 ft return). I'm assuming this will drop oil pressure but will it have adverse effects at all?

My other concern is any sort of oil bypass valve. If the stock filter location gets clogged, does our block have a bypass valve that will bypass the filter? Its possible that adding 1qt of oil outside of the block, as well as the distance in the lines, could simulate a blocked filter if there were a bypass valve. Anyone have info on this?

Thanks for your wonderful big gay help!

I'm guessing the red locktite jokes are coming, but hopefully someone can throw in somethingintelligent into the thread in between them.
Old 09-01-2007, 04:07 PM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Oil filter relocation/oil cooler: Effects on oil pressure, bypass valve?

just to clear this part quick
don't forget the "blue locktite"
Old 09-01-2007, 04:11 PM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Oil filter relocation/oil cooler: Effects on oil pressure, bypass valve?

Ok I would ask a expert mechanic since your touching on an area that many here (on this forum) haven't touched on with a s197
find a mechanic that works on both race and street cars because then he might have a good idea of how these ideas would effect it
BTW what kinda temps are you having

you could try an oil cooler w/o the fan and mount it in front of the radiator
Old 09-01-2007, 04:47 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Well the reviews I read were with oil coolers that used passive cooling near the radiator also.... Still cooled to unsafe temps. Since theres no where "hidden" and away from airflowinside our bays that can fit the cooler, its out of the question.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:23 PM
alloutt
4th Gear Member

I'm in AZ and have driven 150+ miles at a time with no ill effects on temperatures. But if you figure something good that works let me know and maybe I will try it too. I don't have any good info.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:32 PM
redxls
2nd Gear Member

if you spec out a good oil filter relocation kit let me know. I have been looking into this for my turbocharged mustang. I do not like my oil filter getting baked by my turbo pipes so I want to move the filter and go back to a larger filter. the kit forced me to use the smaller filter.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:27 PM
jerjan
4th Gear Member

If you want it to run cooler, try a 170 deg or 160 deg thermostat, That's what they do with most superchargers. Try using Redline water wetter coolant additive, it can remove heat from the motor much better and also allow the radiator to be more efficient. Run the best synthetic oil you can find, either Mobil 1, Redline or Royal Purple. Even a new hood with scoops will move more air through the engine compartment. Some guys get rid of the stock grille for an aftermarket one that flows more air. And yes a good oil cooler will help also. And, don't forget to locktite the drain plug. (Sorry about that last sentence, the devil made me do it.)
Old 09-05-2007, 11:23 PM
takotruckin
2nd Gear Member

dual filters won't do crap. a filter is rated for x sized particles, so its only going to filter to that rating. two will still only filter to that rating.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:42 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I'd try a larger oil pan before going to dual filters. More oil= more heat disbursement. I believe moroso makes a 7 or 7.5 quart setup for our stangs.