Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clean that Throttle Body!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 09:38 AM
takotruckin
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Clean that Throttle Body!!!

ORIGINAL: Doc Holiday

Wow, I absolutely cannot understand what you are trying to say here. First of all, since you agree that the hose is connected to the intake AFTER the MAF, how the hell can it be "metered"? Second of all, if you disconnect the intake tube while the car is running, you will have no air flow being drawn past the MAF anymore, which will stall you engine! Your technique sounds more like cleaning a carburator while the car is running. Please think about what you are saying BEFORE posting an arguement, K?
Third, the hose is connected to the valve cover and then to the intake tube (again...AFTER the MAF sensor) and serves to VENT the crankcase of excess pressures. This is a positive pressure that feeds the intake (AFTER the MAF) and into the throttle body. This carries an oily vapor from the crankcase and WILL foul up your throttlebody AND intake runners more than usual with a larger diameter hose (unfiltered).

The rubber hose that comes with the aftermarket intakes (like the JLTII) is about $2 at a parts store. Try using a see-through filter and see how much crap is going past your TB, into your intake, and into the combustion chamber.

arguements like this is what make me really dislike this site. you get some fool who thinks he knows everything because he learned it on the interweb.. im not here to argue, i just dont want even more forum users getting the wrong idea. look up pcv systems on fuel injected cars you might learn something. also, disconnect the intake tube at the throttle body, you might be suprised how well it runs, i do it at work every day.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:46 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: takotruckin

ORIGINAL: Doc Holiday

, as the rubber hose supplied is a larger inner diameter than stock, which allows more un-metered air into the engine. The venturi effect from the air rushing through the intake literally sucks air from the crankcase, through the pcv hose and into your intake (past the MAF) without the ECU ever seeing the extra air. This can cause a slight lean condition, or hesitation problems, or fuel trim issues as well.
the carbon is normal, it happens to ALL cars. a bg fuel induction service works wonders on anything with over 15k miles. it is not from the pcv system. that tube on the intake actually allows air INTO the engine, and it is after the MAF, so that it is metered. it goes through the engine to the other valve cover thru the pcv valve and into the intake manifold after the throttle body. a filter on that hose will accomplish nothing, other than just looking goofy. the correct way to use the throttle body cleaner is to remove the intake tube, and with the engine running, spray it into the throttle body. this way you are also cleaning the intake manifold and even heads/valves. you may have to use short bursts to avoid from killing the engine.
huh??
Old 09-03-2007, 11:00 AM
StantheMan
2nd Gear Member

Let not get our panties up in a bunch, as I read, youare bothright. Yes a car does run without metered air, though not very well and it will trigger the check engine light to come on. Doc makes a very valid point with the filter and crankcase air going through the throttle body. My conclusion, use a filter, clean the throttle body as indicated on the original post, I do not agree sending all that crapthrough your intake, valves and heads. Then I would allow asmall amount torun through the throttle body to clean the intake and valves. That is what makes this forum so valuable, is different points of view.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:55 PM
svt93style
2nd Gear Member

Just to add my 2 cents.

I have stock air box, took it off to clean the throttle body and it was spotless. 13k miles.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:58 PM
8178A
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: svt93style

Just to add my 2 cents.

I have stock air box, took it off to clean the throttle body and it was spotless. 13k miles.
That was my thinking too. I’ve never seen dirt in a throttle body if there is a good air cleaner.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:40 PM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

well, i just took off my Steeda CAI and elbow and cleaned my Throttle Body. Mind you, I have had this on for over 45K miles. Well, it didnt have near as much crap in there as the guy that started this post but it did dirty a cleaning rag pretty good.

I didnt open the flaps and spray inside cause I just didnt want to chance it. I did, however, spray the flaps themselves (from the outside) and quite a bit of blackness ran out. Then, I sprayed a rag, opened the flaps and cleaned the inside of the throttle body, the back of the flaps and......well, basically everything till the rag got dirtier.

It seems to have better throttle response, but who knows......it could all be in my head
Old 09-03-2007, 09:42 PM
takotruckin
2nd Gear Member

my point was that there is no unmetered air going through the engine, unless there is an intake leak of course, and that the pcv system pulls air into the intake manifold after the throttle body, so the pcv system is not going to contaminate the throttle blades.

i would like to hear more from people with/without CAI's, to see if it makes a difference. after reading (ALOT) on bobistheoilguy forums, it seems that an oiled filter such as K&N yeilds much higher silicon on an oil analysis, which means more dirt is going through.. checking throttle blades could be a decent non scientific way to see if that is true. and it beats paying $20 + for an oil analysis

oh, and yes, you will see better throttle response and idle quality if you clean your throttle body, but i do highly reccomend that you spray it into the TB with the car running, that way you dont have to be wiping around in there.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:53 PM
CFLstangGT
2nd Gear Member

we recommend it at 15k on Lexus vehicles. thought it is at $69.95 for a Throttle Body clean
Old 09-03-2007, 10:00 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

There is a lot of back and forth in this thread so I'll just give you my two observations from my experience...

N/A - don't worry about it. 'maybe' clean your TB every 50K or so but I'm pretty sure it's done at a certain service interval when ford thinks it sould be done. This is not really an N/A issue other than maybe due to a poor intake install that is allowing grime to get in there...???

Seriously, #2 - if you have FI, then this is concern and most of us have done a nice little oil seperator kit. Most use the stef's or morrosso catch can and I prefer nice steel braided lines and good fittings but many just go the cheap route. A top of the line oil seperator kit will run you around $250 in parts and a cheap parts job will run you about $100 in parts.

Again - definitely do an oil seperator kit for FI - N/A - don't worry about it IMO.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:03 PM
takotruckin
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CFLstangGT

we recommend it at 15k on Lexus vehicles. thought it is at $69.95 for a Throttle Body clean
what products do you use? BG recommends every 3k, whick is TOTAL overkill, and them just trying to push their product. we recommend it when the TB looks like it needs it.

Quick Reply: Clean that Throttle Body!!!