Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTS headlight cover... popping out

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 08:24 PM
olvanish
3rd Gear Member

Default GTS headlight cover... popping out

I got tiredof not being able to see ish at night with my headlight tint so I decided to get GTS headlight covers since they are easy to remove. I got them today and as I was putting them on I noticed that the fender on the passenger's side is a little bit too close to the headlight so I had to adjust it about 1/16 of an inch to the side because the cover did not have enough room to go in. Now on the driver's side there was plenty of room and it seemed like the fender was actually a little too far from the light. Iwasn't too happy with the fast and tried toreduce the gapby lossening andmoving the headlight to the right (standing in front of the vehicle) and moving fender to the left. The gap got a little smaller but was still larger than it is on the other side. I said f#$! it, nothing I can do about it. I snapped on the headlight cover, closed the hood and left the parking lot of auto zone. When I got home the covers were fine. After going to a supermarket 5 blocks away I had to take this bumpy street and when I get to the supermarket boom! The bottom part of the one on the driver's side popped out and is sticking out about 1 inch. I figured it was because of vibration from the bumps, I put it back on, put a rag on my bumper and started tapping it as if the car was going through some bumps-- it popped right off. Nothing I can do with that gap anymore. So I guess it wasn't meant to be there
Anyone else had the same problem with these covers?
Old 09-06-2007, 09:06 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: GTO headlight cover... popping out

GTS...

Yes.. the passenger driver side on mine doesn't fit as well. You can adjust the hood stopper hight a tad.. and if that does not work.. I used velcro.. I cut strips 1 inch long and 1/4 inch wide and put them in inconspicuous parts of the cover.. and it stays on perfectly.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:30 PM
besam
2nd Gear Member

wow that sucks... i was going to get these in about a week or two

do you still recommend them, or should i just get them tinted dark?
Old 09-06-2007, 09:41 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

I would still get them... only because you can take them off. Tinted headlights.. even in the city.. is not safe. I drive with my fogs on... and can get by with only my fogs because I have brighter bulbs than stock.. The covers can be easily taken off, protect the headlights.. and look nice. A little fitting and they are fine.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:44 PM
besam
2nd Gear Member

so how much light can get through the covers? is it not safe to drive with them on at night, because i would hate to have to keep putting them on and taking them off
Old 09-06-2007, 10:26 PM
besam
2nd Gear Member

so...is it dangerous or illegal in LA to drive at night with headlight covers?
Old 09-07-2007, 01:38 AM
olvanish
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: besam

so...is it dangerous or illegal in LA to drive at night with headlight covers?
Yea, I'm from LA and you'll get a ticket real quick with those, not unless you got HID lights so that cops can't tell the difference between those and the stock ones. As for the tint question, that's what I had and I wouldn't do it again. I got into an accident on the freeway because of limited visibility about a monthago-- 3 days after getting my headlights tinted. Even with HID lights you can't see well and I had to drive with my fog lights all the time.
I think I'll get rid of the covers though. I tried to put them on again, but same problem. I don't wanna put velcro on my headlights either because I'm not sure if it's going to look ok. I think I'll just keep it stock for now... till after they come up with some better ones that not only lock on top but also on the bottom or at least on 2 sides. Thanks for the responses
Old 09-07-2007, 02:37 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

You need to get the Lund covers. I never had any issue with them, they fit perfectly once I figured out how to bend them while sliding them in and snapping the top over the headlight. They can't be stolen without opening the hood.
As far as night driving- I would not recommend it at all! I kept them on one night when just driving 4 blocks to the grocery store and even with my fogs on it was hard to see. They say that headlight covers are for show or offroad use only. This is because there are times when you do need to turn on your headlights during the day, like in a tunnel or if it suddenly rains...

Anyway, mine were from autopartsauthority, for $54. The # is 36555, UPC is 25067 03791

[IMG]local://upfiles/15212/DB7FC4CC01F74A04B5FC531A0C99FA48.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-07-2007, 03:29 PM
besam
2nd Gear Member

hmm, i'll check those lund covers out, thanks for the help

oh and by the way, i meant LA as in Louisiana, not Los Angeles