Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quetion of the Day, V6 to a 5.4L can it be done?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 11:43 AM
StantheMan
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Question of the Day, V6 to a 5.4L can it be done?

Also the rear differential, may need to be beefed up?
Old 09-06-2007, 04:25 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Default RE: Quetion of the Day, V6 to a 5.4L can it be done?

ORIGINAL: jaxbelleil

Is it possible to drop a 5.4L truck engine in a V6 body? because it would be much cheaper for me to get the 5.4L then getting f/I

Everything's possible...
All it takes is money. The key question is; What's gonna be the cheaper for you? Let's say you paid only$500 for the 5.4, how are you gonna hook it up and keep it cheap? Your computer won't work with it nor is your tranny. Drive shaft length is now wrong and the 7.5 rear axle won't necessarilytake the torque and that's just for starters. You'll have to pay a guy that's gonna scratch his head all day (while the meter's running) trying to figure it allout for you. There's no doubt it can be done, but it won't be cheap.

Supercharge the damn thing.
Good luck.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:35 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Buckman

Pretty sure there is a project on one of the other Mustang boards ... where the guy has already started this project ... using a Lincoln Navigator Engine ...
I am pretty sure he is using the 5.4 Triton for his project, then building up the shortblock and adding a power adder onto it. Should be a pretty cool project. You can pick up a 5.4 3V block for about 1500, then build the shortblock up for around 3500, so it is pretty cost effective as well.
I am doing the GT500 engine and will be the test mule for PowerHouse to develop a turbo kit for it. Should make for an interesting project and I anticipate 9's next spring.
^^^^This is correct.

Old 09-06-2007, 05:09 PM
Buckman
3rd Gear Member

^^^^This is correct.
My goals have actually been pretty similar to yours from reading your posts on the other forums, we just use different engines to attain those.
Streetability has always been the main focus while still trying to whittle down ET's.
11.0 on the 4.0 V6 was nice for me, but when the time came to choose a different path I figured why not go unique and try the GT500 out in a V6 platform while still sticking with the PowerHouse turbo. This also appealed to Mike, so we collaborated and found a way to make this happen.
It should make power pretty effortlessly and (after dialing the car in) should be good for high 9's/low 10's while still maintaining streetability. I anticipate making a couple 9 sec runs, then dialing the car in to stick to low 10's as I don't want to go through the process of NHRA licensing and all the equipment needed to run a 9 sec car consistently.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:45 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

Your on the right track and Mike Bowman is a great guy and personal friend and he knows his crap that's for sure.

After all I have learned, if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't build a 3V, I would have a GT supercar motor with a huge whipple...

As far as your engine swap goes, of course we both knows guys like Greg who have already done it on the sixer platform but not with a turbo. I'm certainly not saying you 'can't' do it (streetable and strip) and with Mike in your corner, I'm sure you've got a great chance but this is what I would be concerned about if I was you...

The reason the reason the turbo have stretablility issues with big boost levels is directly related to heat and how hard they hit. The 67mm precision the PH uses is a good platform in these cars through 14 psi. The problem is the bigger the turbo, the harder it hits and the more heat it produces. I can't imagine you would want to use a 67mm to get into the 9's on the GT500 motor. You're going to run out of efficency on that thing in the 16 psi range and usually the reason you want a 'bigger' motor and larger displacment with a turbo is so you can handle more boost. What would be the purpose of putting a 67mm on the GT500 motor when you will net about the same power potential (granted a little more) than you can on the 3v?

Nope, odds are Mike is going to want to run at least a 76mm on it so you can easily crank the boost in the 20 psi range. Now is when we are talking about serious driveability issues. The way I see you accomplishing your goal is two key points...

#1 - DO NOT run 20 psi on the street. Use a good controller and run 1 tune for the street and maybe 2 tunes for the strip at 2 different boost levels for track set-ups.

#2 - If you want to run some big power on the street as well then you have to look into fabbing up a water aftercooler to go along with your air to air intercooler. I have been telling turbo guys this for a long time and I am convinced that his is the way to run 600+ hp streetable with a turbo. An easy set-up would be to buy the larger resevior tank form vortech (it goes where your battery is now so you also relocate your battery if you haven't already) I thinkn the vortech box woud incorporate nicely with a turbo kit cause it's using the battery tray and tap directly into the turbo kit and run a dual cooler system. I really believe this is the solution for the turbo kits.

Lastly, the PH BOV/wastegate works fine for the 67mm but you will want to upgrade to like the tial 50mm for a larger unit. It will be worth it's weight in gold when you start running this thing hard for sure.

Feel free to PM me when you start getting heavy in the build/swap. If I can help at all - let me know.

Mark
Old 09-06-2007, 05:57 PM
Pwny
4th Gear Member

Talk about the ultimate sleeper.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:21 PM
Buckman
3rd Gear Member

Your on the right track and Mike Bowman is a great guy and personal friend and he knows his crap that's for sure.

After all I have learned, if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't build a 3V, I would have a GT supercar motor with a huge whipple...

As far as your engine swap goes, of course we both knows guys like Greg who have already done it on the sixer platform but not with a turbo. I'm certainly not saying you 'can't' do it (streetable and strip) and with Mike in your corner, I'm sure you've got a great chance but this is what I would be concerned about if I was you...

The reason the reason the turbo have stretablility issues with big boost levels is directly related to heat and how hard they hit. The 67mm precision the PH uses is a good platform in these cars through 14 psi. The problem is the bigger the turbo, the harder it hits and the more heat it produces. I can't imagine you would want to use a 67mm to get into the 9's on the GT500 motor. You're going to run out of efficency on that thing in the 16 psi range and usually the reason you want a 'bigger' motor and larger displacment with a turbo is so you can handle more boost. What would be the purpose of putting a 67mm on the GT500 motor when you will net about the same power potential (granted a little more) than you can on the 3v?

Nope, odds are Mike is going to want to run at least a 76mm on it so you can easily crank the boost in the 20 psi range. Now is when we are talking about serious driveability issues. The way I see you accomplishing your goal is two key points...

#1 - DO NOT run 20 psi on the street. Use a good controller and run 1 tune for the street and maybe 2 tunes for the strip at 2 different boost levels for track set-ups.

#2 - If you want to run some big power on the street as well then you have to look into fabbing up a water aftercooler to go along with your air to air intercooler. I have been telling turbo guys this for a long time and I am convinced that his is the way to run 600+ hp streetable with a turbo. An easy set-up would be to buy the larger resevior tank form vortech (it goes where your battery is now so you also relocate your battery if you haven't already) I thinkn the vortech box woud incorporate nicely with a turbo kit cause it's using the battery tray and tap directly into the turbo kit and run a dual cooler system. I really believe this is the solution for the turbo kits.

Lastly, the PH BOV/wastegate works fine for the 67mm but you will want to upgrade to like the tial 50mm for a larger unit. It will be worth it's weight in gold when you start running this thing hard for sure.

Feel free to PM me when you start getting heavy in the build/swap. If I can help at all - let me know.

Mark
Good points, I remember following your posts on the other forums concerning these issues. I have also talked with Brad and Will regarding their setups and have been fortunate to live in the same area as them and actually meet them at the track.
Mike and I are looking at this as a great project to push forward with a turbo setup and Mike knows the most important part for me is being able to drive to the track, make my passes and be able to drive home, just like I did with the 4.0. That to me (and others like you) is priceless.
At this point we are still accumulating parts. The engine has arrived, the trans is almost set in stone and now the brain-power part is being tapped. The upper intake will have to be fabbed, etc...
Mike plans on documenting the build and as soon as anything concrete starts I will be putting up a build process on the other forum where Don and the other guys are so that Mike can chime in where needed.
Thanks for the input, will keep you posted.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:13 AM
jaxbelleil
2nd Gear Member

You know what... this is the sweets idea i have ever had.... I think I going to start by getting the engine
Old 09-07-2007, 07:47 AM
BlkSunshine77
2nd Gear Member

Doesnt anyone remember the flood damaged V6 silver stang that someone bought and dropped in a full GT500 drivetrain, including gauges and wiring harness?
He bought he car for around $7k, and dumped around $25k into it. He ended up with 10 second quarter miles, and a V6 appearance.
It was listed on ebay for $30k, dont know if it sold and who might have bought it..

That was the ultimate sleeper.
On one of the other forums, they documented the entire swap.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:14 AM
Buckman
3rd Gear Member

Doesnt anyone remember the flood damaged V6 silver stang that someone bought and dropped in a full GT500 drivetrain, including gauges and wiring harness?
He bought he car for around $7k, and dumped around $25k into it. He ended up with 10 second quarter miles, and a V6 appearance.
It was listed on ebay for $30k, dont know if it sold and who might have bought it..

That was the ultimate sleeper.
On one of the other forums, they documented the entire swap.
Yep, very interesting project Greg had that was documented on other forums.
I believe he had the factory blower and added nitrous to it and wound up selling it for around 27k.