Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory 18" polished wheel question

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 09:33 PM
Rt1Rebel
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Factory 18" polished wheel question

ORIGINAL: aircare84

The polished 18" bullits are indeed clear-coated. All you should need to do to keep them looking good is a good wax. If you polish or scrub with an abrasive cleaner, you'll damage the clear coat.
I don't believe it. I have always cared for the wheels as though they are clear-coated, but nothing other than the concensus here gives any evidence. I'm telling you I had direct oxidation spots on my wheels after last winter.I would have noticed the clear coat peeling or failing if it was there.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:28 AM
jerjan
4th Gear Member

You probably got spots from ice melt used on the roads or harsh wheel cleaners, Either salt or magnesium based chemicals,that stuff is caustic and can damage paint and clear coat. The wheels definately have a coating, otherwise they would turn dark and oxidize like an old beer can. They would be a B**ch to polish if they didn't. So, treat them like you do your paint, don't use funky wheel cleaning productsand they will stay looking nice for a long time.
ORIGINAL: Rt1Rebel

The polished 18" bullits are indeed clear-coated. All you should need to do to keep them looking good is a good wax. If you polish or scrub with an abrasive cleaner, you'll damage the clear coat.
I don't believe it. I have always cared for the wheels as though they are clear-coated, but nothing other than the concensus here gives any evidence. I'm telling you I had direct oxidation spots on my wheels after last winter.I would have noticed the clear coat peeling or failing if it was there.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:33 AM
offrdmania
3rd Gear Member

They are clearcoated using clear powdercoat. You should clean them with a neutral Ph cleaner and wax them with a natural wax paste.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:23 AM
Rt1Rebel
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jerjan

You probably got spots from ice melt used on the roads or harsh wheel cleaners, Either salt or magnesium based chemicals,that stuff is caustic and can damage paint and clear coat. The wheels definately have a coating, otherwise they would turn dark and oxidize like an old beer can. They would be a B**ch to polish if they didn't. So, treat them like you do your paint, don't use funky wheel cleaning productsand they will stay looking nice for a long time.
ORIGINAL: Rt1Rebel

I've used nothing but Liquid Glass, which is the same products I've used on my paint. Nothing harsh about them. I would think I would notice a clearcoat peel in the presence of such. Nothing about the way the cleaner and wax goes on and off suggests a clearcoat. I don't think my wheels are clearcoated. Just saying.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:22 AM
Stndbck
3rd Gear Member

Mine clean up beautifully. I was told they were clear coated by the dealer. Never used anything after washing the car but some detail spray and a microfiber towel to clean them and they shine!
Old 09-08-2007, 07:50 AM
Puckhog407
2nd Gear Member

Good question, I'm glad you asked it. I bought some Mother's Mag polish and it said that when you rubbed it into the wheel, it would turn black, but if it didn't turn black ... stop using it. I tried a small spot and the stuff never turned black so I assumed the wheels were clear-coated. I've always just used a microfiber towel and it works well ... they shine right up. I'll try the wax next time I wash though.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:50 AM
Tri C
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dorsil

if your speaking of the polished aluminum yes they are.. I managed to scrub brush them and scratched them all to hell lol =(
I put a small scratch in one with my fingernail!