Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do or Die.....Which one, KB or Whipple????

Old 09-07-2007, 09:33 PM
bazguitarman
2nd Gear Member

Default Do or Die.....Which one, KB or Whipple????

Ok, I`ve spent a couple of days researching the two. I know for a fact that I`ll go with a twin screw. On top of a forged and stroked block and with CNC ported heads. Honestly I like both SC`s. They are basically the same technology as seen through two different manufacturers eyes. Both will give me what I want, which is a solid 500 to 600 rwhp and at least 500 to 550 rwt. So I`m pretty sure I would be happier than a pig in s**t with either one.

What I`m curious about, is why you guys went with which ever system you chose. Both are twin screws. Both are intercooled. And both are high quality. Why go with one over the other? Is it the name, sound, output, customer service, value, etc.?

Is one actually better than the other?

Eric
Old 09-07-2007, 09:47 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Do or Die.....Which one, KB or Whipple????

Neither! How about the Saleen, not to knock the guys with whipples or KB's but the Saleen is more effient. I am making 430rwhp at 6.5psi I don't think there is a whipple or KB that can claim the samething. I could be wrong but have not seen it.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:00 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

my order of preference:

kenne bell
saleen VI (stage 3)
whipple

good luck and you should not spend 3 days searching, you
should spend 3 months like the rest of us!
Old 09-07-2007, 10:05 PM
bazguitarman
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sactown

Neither! How about the Saleen, not to knock the guys with whipples or KB's but the Saleen is more effient. I am making 430rwhp at 6.5psi I don't think there is a whipple or KB that can claim the samething. I could be wrong but have not seen it.

Well, Saleen is a twin screw too. But my understanding was that it was of smaller displacement than the KB and Whipple. Thus having less potential for bigger power down the line. Like that`s really needed. If I`m wrong then I need to add the Saleen unit to my list.

I gotta say, cosmetically speaking it is a nice package.

That reminds me. I actually read on a suppliers website that using the Saleen unit required lower profile motor mounts due to factory hood clearance issues. It sounded totally crazy to me, but do you know anything about that?

Eric
Old 09-07-2007, 10:21 PM
bazguitarman
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hammeron

my order of preference:

kenne bell
saleen VI (stage 3)
whipple

good luck and you should not spend 3 days searching, you
should spend 3 months like the rest of us!

I`ll be lucky if I only spend three months doing research. All of this is on hold, waiting on my worker`s comp settlement. Even the darn car itself.

So that`s all I can do for the time being. Read and research all I can while I wait. It amazes me how slow legalities move when you are looking at any kind of big money settlement. I`m like a dog jumping through hoops. Waiting for the big dog biscuit payoff at the end.

Not too bad though. I`ve wanted a Mustang GT since I was a freshmen in highschool. I guess that`s been 22 years of screwing around. Another few months won`t kill me.

But I do know I want to go with a twin screw. I was a big roots fan back in the day. For me, it`s all about instant torque and the new twin screws are where it`s at now. I`m just curious about why people choose one over the others.

Eric
Old 09-07-2007, 10:23 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i choose the kb, because there has been
zero complaints ever, from an owner/operator.

kb did their homework before building their unit
and it has apparently paid off
Old 09-07-2007, 10:58 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

Though I am a BIG KB fan, I honestly like the Whipple best of all the twin screws for where you want to be. For daily street driving it just plain runs much cooler than the KB.

Bottom line - under 14 psi = whipple
over 14 psi = KB...
Old 09-07-2007, 11:13 PM
bazguitarman
2nd Gear Member

I`ve got a crazy question. I`ve watched about 50 KB videos on youtube and the SC "whine" is very notice-able. I described it earlier as the sound of a hole being ripped in reality. I`ve come to seriously like that sound.

But I notice on the KB website that they say their SC is whisper quiet. Well that`s no damn good. That screaming whine is almost intoxicating. So what`s the deal on that?

Eric
Old 09-08-2007, 03:35 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Thats true but if your forged and stroked you can up the boost way over 15psi with the KB and the whipple and the Saleen you cannot! Remember though Hammeron prefers the KB than the Saleen and then the whipple he has a whipple and I know he loves it!
ORIGINAL: sactown

I love the whine from the whipple and when the hood is open and the car was on the dyno I could hear it beautifully but when I have the windows down and at 1/2-3/4 throttle I cannot hear the whine at all. I have a side exit exhaust and that is to blame for that. I have never heard the KB whine like I do with the whipple. If I close the windows I can hear it when she kicks in for a while than the exhaust takes over again.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:30 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hammeron

i choose the kb, because there has been
zero complaints ever, from an owner/operator.

kb did their homework before building their unit
and it has apparently paid off
?????

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do or Die.....Which one, KB or Whipple????