Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie Needs Advice - Can I Handle a Supercharged GT?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 08:17 PM
Kara
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Newbie Needs Advice - Can I Handle a Supercharged GT?

ORIGINAL: AmericanMuscle4.6GT

if you have to ask, you can't handle it
hee hee
Old 03-21-2008, 02:58 AM
Agswin

I figure if I can find a Foose Stallion for under $35k, I can then throw on a s/c and be good to go, since the Foose will alreayd have all the body mods Id want.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:21 AM
seniorsmith
3rd Gear Member

"Can I handle a supercharged GT?"

Sure you can...Just beready for the ***-end to break loose whenshifting hard into 2nd and 3rd. And I would'nt suggest shifting too hard throughany curves unless the car has some suspension and tire upgrades. Just take your time to get to know your car and you'll be fine. Also pay attention to the weather, cold and/or damp roads can make these cars squirrely as well...
Old 03-21-2008, 09:18 AM
Flatline1980
2nd Gear Member

Basically seems you'd be relearning the car all over again, but it would be worth it..
Old 03-21-2008, 09:40 AM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

Yeah.......... I agree with several others on here, but ratnacage.... Well..... *sigh* (Cataclysm? )

UCA is to correct pinion angle if you lower, LCA's are what you need to control wheel hop and fix traction issues (possibly want to add LCA relo brackets too).

The Roush is not so good, seeing that it's a Roots blower (as is the Magnacharger). Saleen also offers warranties with their stock supercharger with stock pulley/tune. The Saleen is a TWINSCREW.

As far as the difference between Saleen, Whipple, and KB - Here it is:

They are ALL twinscrews, and all will make approximately the same power - UNTIL - you hit about 15-16 PSI. Then the Saleen is all done, it can't flow enough air to feed the screws. But, on the flip side, if you go anywhere over ~10psi you need to redo the bottom end. Some also say ~450rwhp (the number I prefer to stay under), some say 10PSI, it's really all a guessing game, there is no finite breaking point. It all depends on the amount of abuse you dish out to it.

So.. Unless you plan to tear apart the engine and put in new pistons, rods, rings, and a crank, then you can choose from any of the big 3 twinscrews and be fine. If you think, at any point, for any reason, you might want to rip it all apart and go for BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG power, then you need either a Whipple or a KB. Between those two? The Whipple is cast aluminum, so it cools faster. The KB is.. Stainless, I think? Not sure, but it is definitely very prone to heat soak, which isn't good. Also, from everyone I've spoken to about KB, they can be a royal PITA to get on the phone. These are just observations, as I do not have a Whipple or a KB, obviously..

Which one is right for you? You decide. If you don't plan to go through the bottom end, then choose based on looks, as they'll all make about the same power with comparable modifications.

Can you handle the power? Again, as others have said, it depends on the weight of your foot. If you have a feather foot, then you won't even know it's under there. If your foot is heavy, then you'l be going through tires like it's nobody's business.

Supporting mods for s/c (not all required, but a good idea, at the least)

LCAs
LCA relo brackets
Wider wheels
Sticky rubber
One-piece driveshaft
Shifter
Clutch

If you want to lower it, then besides the springs you'll want UCA, panhard, and dampers.

The LCAs, UCA, panhard, and dampers should all be of the adjustable flavor, manufacturer at your discretion (they're all pretty good).

My personal opinion on this, is unless the Saleen is an actually Saleen CAR (not just a GT with a Saleen on it), then pass. Buy yourself either a new, base model GT, or a used, VERY low-mileage GT, and add teh supercharger yourself. Like someone else said, people don't put superchargers on cars so they can drive around at 30 MPH all day long..

Just my $.02, YMMV.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:20 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

I agree completely and totally.. very well said and thought

ORIGINAL: exx1976

Yeah.......... I agree with several others on here, but ratnacage.... Well..... *sigh* (Cataclysm? )

UCA is to correct pinion angle if you lower, LCA's are what you need to control wheel hop and fix traction issues (possibly want to add LCA relo brackets too).

The Roush is not so good, seeing that it's a Roots blower (as is the Magnacharger). Saleen also offers warranties with their stock supercharger with stock pulley/tune. The Saleen is a TWINSCREW.

As far as the difference between Saleen, Whipple, and KB - Here it is:

They are ALL twinscrews, and all will make approximately the same power - UNTIL - you hit about 15-16 PSI. Then the Saleen is all done, it can't flow enough air to feed the screws. But, on the flip side, if you go anywhere over ~10psi you need to redo the bottom end. Some also say ~450rwhp (the number I prefer to stay under), some say 10PSI, it's really all a guessing game, there is no finite breaking point. It all depends on the amount of abuse you dish out to it.

So.. Unless you plan to tear apart the engine and put in new pistons, rods, rings, and a crank, then you can choose from any of the big 3 twinscrews and be fine. If you think, at any point, for any reason, you might want to rip it all apart and go for BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG power, then you need either a Whipple or a KB. Between those two? The Whipple is cast aluminum, so it cools faster. The KB is.. Stainless, I think? Not sure, but it is definitely very prone to heat soak, which isn't good. Also, from everyone I've spoken to about KB, they can be a royal PITA to get on the phone. These are just observations, as I do not have a Whipple or a KB, obviously..

Which one is right for you? You decide. If you don't plan to go through the bottom end, then choose based on looks, as they'll all make about the same power with comparable modifications.

Can you handle the power? Again, as others have said, it depends on the weight of your foot. If you have a feather foot, then you won't even know it's under there. If your foot is heavy, then you'l be going through tires like it's nobody's business.

Supporting mods for s/c (not all required, but a good idea, at the least)

LCAs
LCA relo brackets
Wider wheels
Sticky rubber
One-piece driveshaft
Shifter
Clutch

If you want to lower it, then besides the springs you'll want UCA, panhard, and dampers.

The LCAs, UCA, panhard, and dampers should all be of the adjustable flavor, manufacturer at your discretion (they're all pretty good).

My personal opinion on this, is unless the Saleen is an actually Saleen CAR (not just a GT with a Saleen on it), then pass. Buy yourself either a new, base model GT, or a used, VERY low-mileage GT, and add teh supercharger yourself. Like someone else said, people don't put superchargers on cars so they can drive around at 30 MPH all day long..

Just my $.02, YMMV.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:43 PM
1morepart
4th Gear Member

warranty for what...the stealership will always find away around the warranty....go with the twin screw and handle it
Old 03-22-2008, 08:30 PM
nofear
1st Gear Member

+1 exx1976

Drive the car for a little while ............ see if anything breaks so they will fix it under waranty
they mod the hell out of it when u get bored with abiding by the dealers rules.

its like your first car that you drove for 4 years. You learn its limits and your car becomes an extention of yourself
like an arm you know where to put it with out seeing where exactly is

the new mustang gts are pretty solid
Old 03-22-2008, 11:15 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

+1 nofear

I drove my car for ~8000 miles before I even did the CAI/tune, just waiting to see if anything would break. Then I did CAI and tune, did another 6k on it. Then, at 14k and some change (in the off-season) I did the blower. I had it installed by a well-qualified shop (a Saleen Speedlab, in fact - BRENSPEED FTW!!), and so I am 100% confident it'll hold together for at least a season or two. Then I'll go through the bottom end (just for my own peace of mind, since I don't feel an immediate need to twist my car up funny lookin.. ).

Ya know, every time I'm sitting here on my couch talkingwith you guys about blowers, it makes me wish I would have bought a coupe. But then every time I get in the car with no roof, I'm SO glad I didn't. LOL I'm sure my wallet is glad I didn't, too, since I'd likely end up like ModAddict and Sawyer.. Bigger.. Better.. Faster.. MORE EXPENSIVE.. LOL
Old 03-23-2008, 03:59 AM
Agswin

So what are we talking about as far as price differencefor Roush as opposed to Whipple and Saleen?

Quick Reply: Newbie Needs Advice - Can I Handle a Supercharged GT?