Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DNX7100 Installed - Love it

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 11:29 AM
07SCGT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: DNX7100 Installed - Love it

ORIGINAL: joemagna

First, that looks great! I am looking to buy dvd/nav too. i have been looking at pioneer avic z1. Did you do any research as to which unit to get, if so, what were your deciding factors?
I did some research and for the Audio side if you are planning on doing lots of Amps with lots of Power the Kenwod is by far the best. Lower noise, higher pre-amp volage and is all around I think about 200-300 Cheaper, can't remember. Also the Kenwood is Garmin based GPS the Pioneer is ran by software CD that requires updates annually. If you do a lot of Traveling the Garmin in the Kenwood is the way to go.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:38 AM
joemagna
2nd Gear Member

Those are points to ponder for sure. Hmmm, you may be changing my mind. Yep, you did.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:05 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Also the Kenwood is Garmin based GPS the Pioneer is ran by software CD that requires updates annually. If you do a lot of Traveling the Garmin in the Kenwood is the way to go.
The AVIC-Z1 runs the GPS Software from the internal hard disk (which also is available for ripping CD's onto forming a huge internalipod-esque library)

I had a Kenwood before the Pioneer and ended up swapping it out for the Pioneer within a month or so, My wife now has the Kenwood in the Golf and loves it. It's personal preference but I like the Pioneer much more. The vehicle dynamics functionality is also quite funky :-)

I find both GPS systems very capable, not much to split them
Old 09-09-2007, 12:58 PM
Kamalyn
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: joemagna

First, that looks great! I am looking to buy dvd/nav too. i have been looking at pioneer avic z1. Did you do any research as to which unit to get, if so, what were your deciding factors?
Thanks =)

I did do some research, what sold me on the Kenwood was a few things. First, it has internal flash memory for the maps, so there is no DVD or anything else required to do navigation. I wasn't going to spend more than the cost of this one, and many of the less expensive ones (not all, but many) required a DVD to be put in. Second, I love that it can connect to my iPod and control / play Video. That feature seemed to be hit or miss - and some of them required that you start the video with your iPod - then it would play - the Kenwood does it all from the HU. Third, it comes with a the garmin maps / controls. I have one of the Garmin Nuvi's right now and love it. Like another poster said - it has its problems now and again, but overall it is a very solid GPS that I am familiar with.

The iPod cable also comes with a USB cable - so you can plug in an external HDD if you want with MP3's etc... Updating is easy too, when they come out with a map update, you just put it on an SD card, tell the Kenwood unit you want to update and the screen folds all the way down to reveal an SD slot - put the SD card in and let it update.

It also happens to be the head unit that my installer and my salesman both had installed in their cars (one had beautiful Cobra) and I got to see it installed first hand. I figure, with the features above, and that two people here have it in their car - it must be a good unit

I will warn you though, the unit is great in every respect that I have seen so far - except for the controls. They are not all that intuitive, but once you get used to their way of doing things - you'll be using it with ease.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:00 PM
Kamalyn
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mwl1960

it's good to upgrade the sound ... but beware... i kinda did the same... started out with 1 amp and 1 sub.... and then ended up... but the sound can't be beat

[IMG]local://upfiles/78695/0F8A389B0C88493EA8CCED07AB67351D.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/78695/812FCB73C6A54EC0962E0BAD4E2FD3C1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/78695/CC652EAA13E24084905827FF682E5F6C.jpg[/IMG]
That is a great setup - now I'm jealous

I had thought of that, but so far I am happy with what I have. Though next I am going to add a 2nd amp and replace the speakers and door subs and add a nice alarm. Then I think I'll be done with the stereo. Since this is my only car, and I travel between states every so often - I need to keep my spare and fit my golf clubs in the trunk.