Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New toy for the Mustang PICS ADDED

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 02:20 AM
olvanish
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: New toy for the Mustang

i wish i was lucky enough to have a place to install it at. [&o]
Old 09-11-2007, 03:00 AM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

If they're the exact same lift, then yeah, I'd go with the cheaper lift.

HOWEVER!!! Don't always go with the cheapest lift.

Buddy of mine has a '73 that he was storing on one of the cheap 4 posters...and one of the posts failed. The metal started to bend and ended up pushing out, away from the car, and the lift fell, with the nose of the car smashing down into the front of his garage. He ended up having to buy, basically, a new front clip for his car. He was lucky that his wife had taken her car out from under the Vette earlier that day, or else her car would have been grossly damaged as well.

The real bitch of it is, when he tried to go back to the lift manufacturers for warranty, they said, "Well, from the initial picture, it looks like it was improperly installed, and your concrete pad wasn't the recommended thickness. We're not going to cover it." Never mind that the guy had previously poured concrete blocks that was 16" thick in the areas where the bolts were mounted, per the install directions...AND never mind the fact that he'd paid a pro installer to come out and install the lift for him. They just didn't want to cover it. After seeing that, and hearing that he tried to go cheap and get one of the cheapest 4 post lifts, I've become VERY skeptical of the cheapest lifts...
Old 09-11-2007, 04:07 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Nice one Marcus! I wish I lived closer to you so I could get some work done without breaking my neck underneath the car!
Old 09-11-2007, 06:12 AM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Four post lift...ahhh...wish list many years down the road....
Old 09-11-2007, 08:12 AM
QatarStang
4th Gear Member

Cool, you should post up some pictures
Old 09-11-2007, 03:51 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Marcus, once you have a lift, you're done with that jackstand crap. You'll never go back to the old fashion way. Congrats!
I'm looking for a house right now with 2 car garage tall enough for a lift so I'll be set.
Pain in the a$$ to go to my shop everytime I want to work on my cars.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:35 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

So here are some pics which may well provide a little insight for those worried their garage isn't big enough.

Ours is a double garage with a high roof line although the door guides were a height issue. The runners were high enough to get the posts under but they blocked the lift being raised over 48" with the car on board.
I removed the runners& Motor unit rail and altered them so that the door is now pulled up and across at an angle of 55degrees or more, see the pics. As the door system is sprung the motor isn't working that much harder so no problemo.
I still have to be careful not to open the door with thelift at the very top otherwise the door will hit the car. For storing another car (or whatever) under the Mustang height isn't an issue though.
To stop me inadvertently opening the door with the remote at the wrong time, I leave it unplugged from the mains power [8D]

Apart from me being able to store the Jetski under the Mustang giving space for my Wife's Golf to hide from the snow, the thing is just so handy as I said before. Even though I'd had it running for 24 hours I've already done small jobs on the car which I'd probably never have bothered with, like cleaning the inside lips of the rockers and WD40'ing everything.

Oh, Yes, I know the gimpy decals are still on the side of the car, I'll take them off don't worry

Old 09-11-2007, 06:49 PM
svt93style
2nd Gear Member

I hate you.

No but seriously, where were you all the years I was doing exhaust!

So cool, I would love that!
Old 09-11-2007, 07:21 PM
Pwny
4th Gear Member

I wish I had a lift.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:59 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

They've never been cheaper. Get them while they're Hot LOL

Quick Reply: New toy for the Mustang PICS ADDED