Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford GTT video

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 04:40 AM
CataclysmGT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Ford GTT video

You guys are not thinking. A jet experiences max 9 G's while turning. Its 9 G's due to a change of direction, not a rate of acceleration in a straight line. When the shuttle launches, up 13 G's push the occupants STRAIGHT back into their seats. Its completely different then a fighter jet at 440 knots constant speed, but an ever changing vector causing the G's to rush blood to your feet.

Old 09-11-2007, 04:56 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Ok most IMAX films are documentaries and if it was for shuttle launches and such I believe Cataclysm. I am not saying that 13 g's won't kill but I know that the Blue Angels are trained to sustain 7-9 G's with aggressive manuvers with a technique similar to bearing down (cant remember the "true" word for it) and g-suits but is hard to do much less at 7+ g's with an evasive manuver! JMO with some facts J
ORIGINAL: Timmay!!!

ORIGINAL: CataclysmGT

Shuttle launches approach 13 G's folks. Learned that at an IMAX picture.
Top Fuel cars now hit 4 G's.
F1 cars hit 4 G's in the corners.
TRUST ME no human could survive 13 Gs.Not for long any wayI'm alsopretty positivethe space shuttle wouldn't survive that kinda G force either. Some fighter aircraft(aircraft designed to handle high G-loads) may withstand 12-13 Gs before components startripping off. But the pilot would have g-locked before they even get there. Can't believe everything you see in the movies
Old 09-11-2007, 06:44 AM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

I'm no structural engineer or rocket scientist but I can almostguarantee that the space shuttle doesnt accelerate with 13 Gs of force. The space shuttle already has problems keeping cermanic tiles as it is.All fighter pilots(depending on the particular aircraft) are trained to endure 9Gs. Put a 1000lb weight on your chest and see if you can breath for long.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:14 PM
CataclysmGT
4th Gear Member

Well, I strongly remember hearing 13G's max, Now I read sustained 3-4 G's. I'm going to have to do the math and figure it out myself, If I can find any accurate stats.
During launch, blood doesnt rush to your legs....its acting against you, not down like jet in a turn.
The ceramic tiles are light, and therefore would not be affected as much (3-4 times of a light mass is still a light mass). They have problems with the ceramic tiles being hit by the foam from the fuel tank.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:23 PM
EskimoPie
1st Gear Member

We're getting pretty damn off-topic here but I saw something new on TV the other day... it's called the Red Bull Air Race series in which pilots in aerobatic prop planes compete on a timed course flying through huge inflatable pylons just feet of the ground. What blew me away was they had the planes all instrumented so you could see the speeds and G's as they flew through the course and these guys were pulling up to 9.8G's flying at 200+ mph just 30+ feet off the ground! Keep in mind, these aren't fighter aircraft, just extremely high performance aerobatic planes, and no G-Suits either... I was blown away that this was a televised sport... I think they're all living on borrowed time. In F-1 or Nascar if you crash at speed you have a pretty damn good chance of walking away from the wreck... If these guys G-lock at 30' off the ground they are corpses! In fact on the one I saw (in Utah I think) some guy misjudged a turn, pulled a ton of G's and smacked through a pylon coming within a few feet of the ground... CRAZY!
Old 09-11-2007, 02:49 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

average
Old 09-11-2007, 03:10 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Dunno if anyone cares but heres is the problem with the busa bikes http://videos.streetfire.net/video/c...d300270cd9.htm
Old 09-11-2007, 04:05 PM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

Yeah this thread did get off topic pretty bad. Sorry to the original poster about that. But after having a performed a few over-G inspections on aircraft through the years I was just trying explain G-force. Guess I'll never be a good teacher.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:20 AM
p51mstg
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EskimoPie

We're getting pretty damn off-topic here but I saw something new on TV the other day... it's called the Red Bull Air Race series in which pilots in aerobatic prop planes compete on a timed course flying through huge inflatable pylons just feet of the ground. What blew me away was they had the planes all instrumented so you could see the speeds and G's as they flew through the course and these guys were pulling up to 9.8G's flying at 200+ mph just 30+ feet off the ground! Keep in mind, these aren't fighter aircraft, just extremely high performance aerobatic planes, and no G-Suits either... I was blown away that this was a televised sport... I think they're all living on borrowed time. In F-1 or Nascar if you crash at speed you have a pretty damn good chance of walking away from the wreck... If these guys G-lock at 30' off the ground they are corpses! In fact on the one I saw (in Utah I think) some guy misjudged a turn, pulled a ton of G's and smacked through a pylon coming within a few feet of the ground... CRAZY!
Aerobatic performers like Patty Wagstaff and Sean D. Tucker pull 13g's in their performances, but it's not sustained. Not sure what the Space Shuttle pulls, but I thought it was more like 3-4g's - I think that's all they need to accelerate away from Earth's gravity. Those Red Bull races are nuts - I love airshows, and I love air racing, but I don't need to see that.

As for OP, that car is awesome, but the driver is going to end up dead. Watching the speedometer go to 160mph on the street, I kept hoping he wasn't going to take anyone else with him when he died. Love the car, though - I'd love to drive that.... just once......
[sm=gears.gif]
Old 09-12-2007, 09:38 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

I agree the GT owner will be dead soon. Theres 2 types of speed freaks in the world: The ones who randomly use it to remind themselves how proud they are, and the ones who can't be happy without using it constantly. The latter ones die.

if I had a Turbo'd GT I would never slam on the pedal, in fact I'd feather it everywhere to make sure I stayed safe. It would definately be my daily driver, without a doubt, but only country roads on the weekend would see the power of the car. I feel bad for this Joe guy, some sort of childhood complex has brainwashed him into putting speed first including above his own safety and the safety of others on the road.

Quick Reply: Ford GTT video