Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT 500 Spoiler..install help.NEW>>.pics..

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 07:31 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Default RE: GT 500 Spoiler..install help..pics..

ORIGINAL: Srt2Stang725

i have this spoiler waiting to be installed...does anyone recommend any prepwork for the trunk so the 3m tape sticks good? should i wash the trunk with dishsoap to take some of the wax off? any recommendations?
I would suggest cleaning the area where the 3M tape contacts, with rubbing alcohol prior to installation....

Mike

Old 09-12-2007, 07:31 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

If you use a fishing line to "saw off" the double sided tape, use regular tape around the spoiler to protect the paint around it, so that you don't scrape it. Clean the area very well and glue away. I would recommend you use sealant silicone, at least a bit, around the bolts as an extra insurance to ensure water does not seeps through.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:46 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LV51FER

I removed the foam part using the thumb technique and used isopropanol alcohol rubbing it in a circle until it all came off. Mine came from the spoiler store too. Nice paint match - one tiny grain in the paint but the results speak for themselves. My only gripe is the end tapes don't seem to sit flat so don't adhere properly on the forward edges. I was going to try and remove it to see if a slight reposition would help but once these tapes are on, they're on!
The bottom pic is aForyar lower grille insert. Both were bargains. The spoiler came from The Spoiler Store on ebay for $150 (plus $160 shipping to the UK but it was still a bargain at $2 to the £). The lower grille insert is solid billet and cost a piffling $32. I mean come on, I couldn't buy the materials for that! www.foryar.com

Pics of old spoiler, no spoiler and GT500 spoiler plus some late night pics of the Foryar lower grille insert:

Well, your car with the spoiler looks great, and I hate to go off topic here, but inquiring minds want to know........Is that site with the grilles for real?? Maybe I haven't looked at billet grill overlays enough, but those seem way reasonable.....Is it my imagination? Also, I cannot find a listing on their site for just the lower grille. I can only find the entire set. Did you have to ask for just the lower grille?? I love it.....
Please let me know, and thanks,
Mike
Old 09-12-2007, 10:12 PM
schapman
4th Gear Member

dish soap and alcohol swab wipe is all you need to do.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:36 AM
Tormentor
2nd Gear Member

Isoaked a rag with 3M brand adhesive/wax remover and let it sit on the old tape and it wiped right off, no rubbing at all. decklid prep was done with the same 3M adhesive/wax remover, I just wiped the surface with it to remove all wax, let it dry then istalled the spoiler. Turned out great
Old 09-13-2007, 03:17 AM
vxtonkaboy

looks awesome!
I have a question though. What does everyone do to seal the other two holes that the spoiler does not use?
Old 09-13-2007, 06:28 AM
TPony
6th Gear Member

I used one of those flat head "T" plugs, for lack of a better word, that can be found in autozone and then some silicone sealant.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:23 AM
Joe06

Did you have to drill a hole in the decklid?
Old 09-13-2007, 10:56 AM
torch red
4th Gear Member

No, if you have a stock spoiler the holes are there..

If you have a delete then start drilling..

I used some googone..it work a little with alot of elbow grease...i am goona try your advice on the 3M adhesive remover..
Old 09-13-2007, 01:08 PM
Mach
3rd Gear Member

So it does use the stock holes?

Quick Reply: GT 500 Spoiler..install help.NEW>>.pics..