Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to color interior?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 09:30 PM
gtucker4
2nd Gear Member

Default Best way to color interior?

Hey guys, it's been a while! I'm just about to pull the trigger on a deal for either a Torch auto V6 deluxe, or a Vista 5spd V6 deluxe. Incentives are strong, so planning to use some of that money to barter for accessories. I had mentioned Konig Hotswaps a while back, but would save a lot of money by getting the Ford Racing 18" black bullit/tire combo instead. Plus, deluxe model = NO SHAKER!!! 5.1 car theater, here I come!I had been reading about a couple other folks trying to add a power passenger seat to their rides, and I think I'm going to try and negociate that with the dealer as well, and see if they will add the comfort group, and seats with SAB for what they list for when you build the ride. Wish me luck. Anyway, I've been wondering how the best way to go about chaning the interior color of the car would be. The Vista's got charcoal, but the Torch has graphite. I love the two tone dash on the graphite, but hate the rest of the majority gray going on in the car. I ripped the interior of my Skylines out when I was stationed in Japan, and experimented with spray paints made for it, and got some props for doing good for my first time. However, that was on a 13year old car, not a brand new one, and I want it to look more like this... http://www.maaco.com/medusa_gallery12.html

So, besides going to Maaco to get it done, what would be the best way to accomplish something even close to this? And, if I do source the job out, what do you think I'll be looking at, ballpark??? I'm going for red/black/wht on the inside. I had been leaning toward the Vista, because it's got the black interior, and already has a power DS and SAB, just missing the leather and power PS+EC mirror. But, this project will be for the wife, and I had read that the manual cars are awkward to shift if you have anything in the cupholder/center console. Also, I was reading here that the auto is stronger than the manual in the V6 as far as power handling, so performance mods can still be considered down the line. Her car is gonna be EVA-02, by the way, and I'm saving my project for EVA-01... I'm sure the guy who ressurected that stolen/trashed S197 will be thrilled to see a car that's purple/green/black. But this time, it would be on purpose!!![sm=happy046.gif]
Old 09-12-2007, 10:09 PM
gtucker4
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Best way to color interior?

Here's a couple of links to the project inspiration, just for those who have no idea what the hell and EVA is...

http://www.hlj.com/product/KYD01058

http://www.hlj.com/product/KYD01062

Would go with this for the Vista...

http://www.hlj.com/product/KYD01071

Also thought about this, since my wife's name is Angel...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sector6...hop/515999902/
Old 09-12-2007, 10:45 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

sounds like an interesting project, good
luck with it and keep us posted
Old 09-12-2007, 11:01 PM
gtucker4
2nd Gear Member

Thanks, I'll try my best. I thought taking a Mustang the sport compact route would be an interesting way to flip the script. Too many clones, and played out, been there-done that before copies rolling around out there. Just my opinion. I think that's one of the reasons that import guys have such a narrow view of the domestic cars, because there seems to be a lack of originality in how they're represented. I should know, because I used to feel just like that...[:@]Then, I just decided that instead of knocking american cars, I should find a good platform, and try mix the two cultures. We'll see how it comes out, just waiting for some input on the DIY front from folks who have attempted, or know someone who has, to style up their interiors.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:01 PM
90lxstang
4th Gear Member

EVA-00 (blue version) would be awesome with the vista!
Old 09-12-2007, 11:04 PM
gtucker4
2nd Gear Member

Yeah 90, I think the Vista is a great rep. of how EVA would be painted in real life, not that overly-cartoonish blue from the show. Although, Mazda's had a shade of blue on the 3 back in '05 that looked pretty good. Can't forget about the Nissan blues on the 350's either. I wonder if the Sonic Blue from '05 would have worked even better....
Old 09-12-2007, 11:19 PM
dvf1973
2nd Gear Member

http://www.houseofkolor.com sells all the chameleon colors you could want...but it is a tricky game doing paint jobs like this and its not cheap either, you certainly wont pull it off with a rattlecan
Old 09-12-2007, 11:26 PM
gtucker4
2nd Gear Member

I'm sorry I didn't mention this before, my bad!!! I'm not looking for any color shifting paint, I just want to match the interior with the exterior paint job. Then, I'd have the seat and door insert leather in contrasting colors. I think that would look better, and help keep costs down as well. Just trying to see how I could get it that glossy/smooth. Almost looks like they fiberglassed the interior. Saw a lot of that on showcars in Japan... Don't think I'd want to go that far though, unless it was reasonable.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:02 AM
pegasusphototx
2nd Gear Member

There is a local guy here who had his interior dyed to match. The process actually dyes the plastic so if you get those 'love scratches' we all get, it doesn't scratch off the new color to reveal the layer beneath. I honestly don't know where he went to have it done, but I think this would be the best solution for what you're trying to accomplish.

-danny

[IMG]local://upfiles/33432/A72AD6A110E04CA6B11E4078F20EC47B.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-13-2007, 09:34 AM
gtucker4
2nd Gear Member

That looks a whole lot how my Skyline did when I painted the interior myself. I always hated having the grain from the dash and door materials show through though, and would much rather have it smooth to the touch. I wonder if anybody here that has fiberglassing experience would be able to tell me how hard it would be to create some interior pieces to replace the factory ones. I've seen a lot of trunk and subwoofer boxes custom made, can doors and dashes really be that much harder???

Quick Reply: Best way to color interior?