Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

convertible gone, back to a coupe

Old 09-13-2007, 03:14 PM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: convertible gone, back to a coupe

Good luck with the new coupe! Glad to hear you didn't get killed on the transaction...

I wanted to trade my '06 GT in for an '07 (I have an auto, want a manual), when they said 16k for trade in , I laughed, automatic is looking better and better these days! LOL
Old 09-13-2007, 03:33 PM
Thurman
5th Gear Member

Congrats my brother.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:55 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

ORIGINAL: MustangGT0405

Actually once you chop the roof of a car you loose a significant amount of stiffness. The added weight comes from all the stuff theyadd tostiffen it back up to make itat least acceptable. Rarely if ever in the auto world will you have a convertible that is as stiff in the structure as a coupe.

I have read however that the SN-197 convertable models were much better than the old SN-95's.

Congrats that is a hell of a deal on that trade. I was happy with the X-Plan I got. $29.5k down to 24k with discount and incentives.

If only I waited 6 more months I could have had it all and 0% financing. oh well.

Hi fellow Orlandonian...
You're right on the stiffness issue, a conv. is not as strong as the coupe when you have a uni-body, witch is the case here (and most modern cars). Only a full frame will make up for it.

As far as the S197, everything is better than the S95. From A to Z (except for the mirrors,butnot by much).I had both types on the frame machine and the newStang is just stronger, period.

But I could be wrong since I never own a S95, I just go by my experience working on them.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:03 PM
05MustangSally
4th Gear Member

Congrats! Pics please
Old 09-13-2007, 04:26 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

pascal
Yeah I had a 99GT and I added full suspension; shocks, struts, springs, caster/camber plates, subframe connectors, welded torque boxes, strut tower brace, 18x9.5 2000 Cobra R rims with 275/35/18's,before I was happy with the handling.

All I want on the 07 is Steeda's Drag pack suspension 1 & 2, and wider tires. But that is mostly just for traction for the power I want to make.

COUPES FTW!!
Old 09-13-2007, 04:40 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

pascal
Yeah I had a 99GT and I added full suspension; shocks, struts, springs, caster/camber plates, subframe connectors, welded torque boxes, strut tower brace, 18x9.5 2000 Cobra R rims with 275/35/18's,before I was happy with the handling.

All I want on the 07 is Steeda's Drag pack suspension 1 & 2, and wider tires. But that is mostly just for traction for the power I want to make.

COUPES FTW!!
That platform is so weak on the front, it's scary. The shock towers collapse real bad.
Just out of curiosity: Did you go to the CFL Daytona blow out thing last month atGary Yeomans Ford ?
Old 09-14-2007, 06:45 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pascal

pascal

COUPES FTW!!
That platform is so weak on the front, it's scary. The shock towers collapse real bad.
Just out of curiosity: Did you go to the CFL Daytona blow out thing last month atGary Yeomans Ford ?
Nope I hit a retread tire chunk on the Friday night before an it shattered my lower facia and ripped out the black insert. I was bummed and not about to go to a car show with it. It is all back together now so I am just waiting for the next event.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:12 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pascal

pascal

COUPES FTW!!
Nope I hit a retread tire chunk on the Friday night before an it shattered my lower facia and ripped out the black insert. I was bummed and not about to go to a car show with it. It is all back together now so I am just waiting for the next event.

Road gators suck.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:16 AM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Wow, $28K for a vert that was cheap.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:28 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

ORIGINAL: Dwisforme05

+1 on the coupe! i like the convertables when the top is down but when they are up.....not so much. the coupe IMO is a little more clean looking. how you liking the 5speed?
you can put the top up????? I never knew that! [sm=wootwoot.gif]

hey congrats.... I'd never make the swap....but mine's not a DD...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: convertible gone, back to a coupe