Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to care for matte black painted parts

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 10:17 AM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

Default How to care for matte black painted parts

I want to get Roush hood scoop painted matte (flat) black. I wanted to pair this with a matte vinyl stripe on the just the hood (like the Boss 302 or Mach 1) and also have my stock GT spoiler painted flat black. Going for a Mach 1/Boss "type" of look. btw - The black matte hood stripe I want is available for $49 at BSM.

Any tips on how you care for matte painted parts? Matte vinyl stripes? (e.g., wax, protectant, etc - or just wash?) Thanks for any help.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:25 AM
Dwisforme05
5th Gear Member

Default RE: How to care for matte black painted parts

well i painted my spoiler matte black, and i have matte black BSM stripes. the way i care for them is just be gentle when your washing your car, and afterwards i use turtle wax ice spray because its safe for all finishes and vinyl. it also makes the matte black pop out! down here we have the do it yo-self car washes hah and they have power washers, not sure if u have them where u live at but if u do, be carefull around the stripes. i would let them cure for a day or two before washing the car with one of those.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:39 AM
mightymouse
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dwisforme05

well i painted my spoiler matte black, and i have matte black BSM stripes. the way i care for them is just be gentle when your washing your car, and afterwards i use turtle wax ice spray because its safe for all finishes and vinyl. it also makes the matte black pop out! down here we have the do it yo-self car washes hah and they have power washers, not sure if u have them where u live at but if u do, be carefull around the stripes. i would let them cure for a day or two before washing the car with one of those.
I was going to say the same thing. I have a matte black hood scoop i just keep her waxed and she looks good..
Old 09-13-2007, 11:01 AM
Haze28
3rd Gear Member

Back to Black!!!! You can buy it at any ato parts place and it works awsome on anything black. You can also just use regular Armour All on any flat black paint. Makes it shine real good and washes off easy.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:05 AM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

So you can use wax on flat black paint? Any recommendations?

THANKS!!

ORIGINAL: mightymouse

I was going to say the same thing. I have a matte black hood scoop i just keep her waxed and she looks good..
Old 09-13-2007, 11:06 AM
05 Mustang GT
2nd Gear Member

I wash mine with Blue Coral car wash solution and dry the matte black areas with a soft terri cloth to avoid water spots. I also use stoners glass cleaner on the matte black stripes and spoiler. I do not want my matte black getting shiny.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:16 AM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

Stoner's Glass Cleaner? Very interesting... What does that do for the stripes and spoiler? Thanks!

ORIGINAL: 05 Mustang GT

I wash mine with Blue Coral car wash solution and dry the matte black areas with a soft terri cloth to avoid water spots. I also use stoners glass cleaner on the matte black stripes and spoiler. I do not want my matte black getting shiny.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:19 AM
Dwisforme05
5th Gear Member

i use turtle wax ice paste wax on my car, i use the detail spray right after i wax the car and inbetween waxes. as far as washing goes i use armorall wash, or the ice wash.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:23 AM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

Thanks - I assume you mean on the flat (matte) parts...

btw - You have an AWESOME looking car!!!! Congrats!

i use turtle wax ice paste wax on my car, i use the detail spray right after i wax the car and inbetween waxes. as far as washing goes i use armorall wash, or the ice wash.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:39 AM
Dwisforme05
5th Gear Member

hahah thank you, its my money pit! i wouldnt use the turtle paste wax on the vinyl but use the detail spray and it will last for alot longer time!

Quick Reply: How to care for matte black painted parts