Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Somtimes the dealership is 'good'...

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 12:58 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

Default Somtimes the dealership is 'good'...

I wanted to paint my Roush vynle stripes and get a new hood for quite awhile but one of the things that held me back for so long was the fact the majority of the cars I have seen with aftermarket hoods had a definitive different color. They never seem matched just perfect.

As I went around getting quotes from body shops, they all said they would 'blend into the fenders to match'. I always asked, "how does that make the whole car match?"...lol

Anyway, I normally avoid the dealerships like the plague, but I figured I'd get a quote from a Ford bodyshop. Now the quote was about $500 more than the average quote from small body shops but what sold me is they kept telling me that they are going to repaint the WHOLE CAR to match. I was impressed with this so I went with them and told them to call me when it got in the paint booth so I could 'approve' the stripe size. I really wanted to see if they were telling the truth about matching the whole car.

Turns out they were down to every panel. I am very pleased so far even though they are taking way longer than quoted. They keep telling me that they want this car to perfect so how can I argue with that...lol

Just pleased that for once taking it to a dealership was a 'good' thing as they are doing a kick **** job. I'll have the car back on Monday or Tuesday and Bill Coogle is making me some incredible custom artwork for the side emblems, rear badge, radiator cover, grill, interior, etc. etc. that should be here next week as well to finish off the final 'show' mods of the car. Very excited to see this car finally......'FINISHED'.[sm=bounceybounce.gif]

[IMG]local://upfiles/45048/A9FD53E885434EC4867BA7F5356D437E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/45048/949262BB7CA34F3F8E90DF7CDE6CB46E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/45048/6DFA046EF31A4A0E9677C9FC91A4F543.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-13-2007, 01:43 PM
User 113021
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Somtimes the dealership is 'good'...

That should look really good! Can't wait to see it when it's done.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:53 PM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

cool you must have found a good dealer
or at least one with a good body shop

in your sig you say you have a 4speed aod why put in fewer gears or was that needed to handle the power
Old 09-13-2007, 03:07 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

Mark,

As if your car wasnt bad *** enough!!!!

I hate you!!!! in a lovable way.....
Old 09-13-2007, 03:29 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Glad you found a dealer with a good body shop. Very rare.

I hate to tell you. Painting the whole car because you want to match the hood is nothing short of bull sh#t. Please, don't go off the handles yet. I'm not trying to be a smart a$$ or disrespectful but when, and if, I have to blend for a hood, the fenders are all you need to mess with and maybe the front cover.
You have a fairly new car, if you use good product (like PPG, Dupont etc) then it's gonna match pretty darn close.
For reference, I charge about $2500/$3000 for an complete paint job with no body work (Just a few dings). If the dealer is charging you way cheaper than that, then my concern is that you might have poor quality paint that will fade after the first summer.
I hope it's not the case,as I don't wanna be negative just because it's free.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:45 PM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

Sounds like they are taking good care of you. My local dealer painted my cervinis hood, and blended the fenders. It turned out perfect. They charged less than anyplace here. $450. I'm a perfectionest, and could find nothing wrong with their work.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:57 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: pascal

Glad you found a dealer with a good body shop. Very rare.

I hate to tell you. Painting the whole car because you want to match the hood is nothing short of bull sh#t. Please, don't go off the handles yet. I'm not trying to be a smart a$$ or disrespectful but when, and if, I have to blend for a hood, the fenders are all you need to mess with and maybe the front cover.
You have a fairly new car, if you use good product (like PPG, Dupont etc) then it's gonna match pretty darn close.
For reference, I charge about $2500/$3000 for an complete paint job with no body work (Just a few dings). If the dealer is charging you way cheaper than that, then my concern is that you might have poor quality paint that will fade after the first summer.
I hope it's not the case, as I don't wanna be negative just because it's free.
FREE????? I WISH!!!!...lol I'm paying $3200 including a couple minor dings, resurfacing a couple of the roush pieces, plugging holes, some minor resurfacing, hood pin install, and a couple interior replacements. (they are using PPG BTW) I agree with you about matching to the fenders but I had added the cervini 1/4 window scoops and cervini side scoops to the car awhile back and it never really matched. I also had to have a couple pieces of the roush kit replaced and it always bothered me under close inpsection, it didn't quite match. This is the reason I wanted the whole car re-done. If it was just the hood, then I think I wouldn't care about the whole thing but when you add all these other little things together, I just didn't want 4 different shades of sonic blue all over my car.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:58 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: americaniron

Sounds like they are taking good care of you. My local dealer painted my cervinis hood, and blended the fenders. It turned out perfect. They charged less than anyplace here. $450. I'm a perfectionest, and could find nothing wrong with their work.

I could find NOTHING EVEN CLOSE TO THAT PRICE here in so cal to paint and install a hood, let alone paint stripes...
Old 09-13-2007, 04:20 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

ORIGINAL: fordfanboy

ORIGINAL: americaniron

I could find NOTHING EVEN CLOSE TO THAT PRICE here in so cal to paint and install a hood, let alone paint stripes...

He sure got a good deal...

I feel better now knowing that you needed extra work around the car. I thought they pulled a greedy salesman number on you. I thoughtonly your hood needed painting. OK, so you did good.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:00 PM
Aziraphale
4th Gear Member

Don't forget he's getting stripes painted also ... that's no cheap feat!!

This thing should look awesome!!! And you'll have to cover the whole back half in tape when you take it to the track

Quick Reply: Somtimes the dealership is 'good'...