Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 GT Hard Or Soft?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 07:28 PM
Assassins
1st Gear Member

Default 05 GT Hard Or Soft?

Which would you get and why? I like the hard top, b/c it is like a racers car, the soft if more of cruse...I just dont like it when the soft top is up.

I would like to hear what you have to think.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:32 PM
03machnc

Default RE: 05 GT Hard Or Soft?

I'm seriously thinking soft. My Mustangs are never really daily drivers, so I figure I might as well have fun and get a convertible. Nothing like that feeling of open air. But I do agree that the hard tops look more aggressive.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:04 PM
Assassins
1st Gear Member

Yea, I am looking at a GT, the only thing is that I dont like when the softtop in on, it looks like a weak car, the hard top looks like you should always be on the highway.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:08 PM
Phillyblunt474
2nd Gear Member

Ive never been to fond of the rag top look... if it was a hard top cert it would be a differnt stroy, but i just dunno about the soft tops
Old 02-14-2005, 10:13 PM
Higgie
3rd Gear Member

Soft tops that I have ridden in at "speed" are just to noisey to suit me. The only direction I would go from hard top would probably be to a removeable roof panel (like a vette, or import). Not to likely, since I am enjoying my Mustang, more than should be legal! lol
Old 02-15-2005, 11:53 AM
graphicguy
2nd Gear Member

I've always found that you're either a 'vert type of person or you're not. My sister has an '03 GT 'vert. She drops the top in the Spring and in the Fall.....that's it. It's too hot in the summer months around here. Plus, take away the rainy days in Spring (which are many in the OH valley) and the cold days in the Fall, the convertible doesn't get used much.

On the other hand, I have a friend who loves 'verts. He's got a Cobra vert and will drive with the top down anytime it gets over 45 degrees with the heater blasting.

Convertibles add weight with the extra bracing, so I'm against getting one for that reason only. I can certainly understand the appeal of those who love them.

I'm strictly a "coupe" kind of guy, though. Short of a Mercedes or Lexus drop top (I'll add a Miata to the list), I've yet to see a convertible that I like the looks of when the top is up (look no further than the 350Z roadster to see "ugly" when the top is up).
Old 02-15-2005, 11:53 AM
VaporDude
5th Gear Member

Go with the hard top. There are more women who drive the rag tops than men. The hard tops are more for the performance than the soft top. The only way a rag top looks good is when the top is down. Looks like crap with it up.
Old 02-15-2005, 01:47 PM
MongrelMan
1st Gear Member

I'm sure topless is fun sometimes But I'm just not a convertible type of guy for the following reasons:

- The convertible softop+modification completely ruins the lines and looks of the car IMHO. I cant think of a convertible in existence that looks better than its hardtop sibling.

- Higher price

- Adds weight

-Takes up space

- Higher insurance

- Wind noise ruins my tunes

- Even with the top up its colder in there during the cold months.

- Makes the car look like some sort of toy and it makes the driver look like they are trying too hard IMHO
Old 02-15-2005, 02:55 PM
96GTponyup
2nd Gear Member

When I see 2 dudes in a vert I think homo.
Old 02-15-2005, 05:06 PM
graphicguy
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 96GTponyup

When I see 2 dudes in a vert I think homo.
What if it's two females in the 'vert?

Quick Reply: 05 GT Hard Or Soft?