Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 5.0 Brembo Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 12:49 PM
MKPatrick

Default 2013 5.0 Brembo Brakes

Hello,

I have a 2013 Mustang 5.0 with the Brembo package that has 14" rotors on the front.
I am told there is 5mm of pad left on the front brakes.

The Ford dealer wants 600+ to do the brakes, just the front! There has to be a cheaper alternative.

So I went looking for the pads themselves so I could attempt it myself. I usually have no time at all to be able to do these tasks, so I have to hire it done.

I tried on Summit and Ford's site, I can't find the brake pads. I don't know for sure which pad will work for my application. I'm only street driving, no track stuff.

Can anyone help me locate these brakes pads/parts? I don't mind going aftermarket, I'm just trying to avoid paying an arm and a leg.

Thanks for any help on this,

M
Old 01-21-2015, 01:39 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Check out Rock Auto, they carry a lot of different brands and tiers of pads (econo, DD, performance) including Ford's Motorcraft brand. I just checked out the Motorcraft Pads for the Performance Package...$390-$430, WOW! Ford is proud of those pads.

Read the selections carefully and check your build date on the door of your car. Looks like mid 2012 Ford changed the pads a bit so even if you have a 2013, if you're an early build (sometime in 2012) you could have the older gen brakes.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:43 PM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

Go to Summit Racing, punch in your make and model and take your pick of pads for $180 or less for the front. You have low dust, high performance street, track, stock to pick from. I recommend the Hawk pads HPS for good all around performance. You will have to make sure to get pads for the 14" brakes, choose the Boss 302 option or just call them and they can help you. Summit is the best choice when it comes to performance parts for your car. Installation is simple. Check out some youtube videos for some advice.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:49 AM
MKPatrick

Originally Posted by proeagles
Go to Summit Racing, punch in your make and model and take your pick of pads for $180 or less for the front. You have low dust, high performance street, track, stock to pick from. I recommend the Hawk pads HPS for good all around performance. You will have to make sure to get pads for the 14" brakes, choose the Boss 302 option or just call them and they can help you. Summit is the best choice when it comes to performance parts for your car. Installation is simple. Check out some youtube videos for some advice.
OK I checked out Summit for the Hawk brand and it shows the pads are the same from front to rear. That can't be for my applications though because my rotors are much different sizes from front to rear. The fronts are 14" as we know.

Oh I just saw your comment about Boss 302, I'll try that.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:05 AM
MKPatrick

Default Type of pads

Also,
I guess I need advice on what type of pads to get.
I don't know what the semi metallic or organic means and I don't know what red stuff or yellow stuff means either.

I used to commute in this car but now we have an economy car to commute in. So I just drive the Mustang on weekends and occasional commute. (Its an hour commute each way)
So now the driving mostly is just Sunday driving. I used freeway onramps for hard acceleration. I figure I'm legal from 0-60 as fast as it will do that without breaking the tires loose.
But I don't get a chance to go to the track although I've always wanted to see what the real top speed is, I've never gotten it to the track.
In the commute on two occasions, someone pulled out in front of me and I had to nail the brake as hard as I could. That car stopped on a dime.

Other than a few emergency stops and some hard accelerations on the freeway, its just normal street driving.
What type of pads do you recommend for that application?
Old 01-22-2015, 10:37 AM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

I am a big fan of Hawk, used them for racing, track days, and high performance street cars. I would go with the HPS pad for good all around performance. EBC red is a ceramic compound with low dust, low noise, great for a daily driver. The yellow compound is more like the HPS pad. One caution about ceramic pads in my experience is that they produce a harder pedal in that they don't grab as hard initially. But they work real well and produce little dust. No matter which pad you choose, you should consider new rotors or at least have your current ones turned to get the old pad material off. If you don't, you are wasting your time for an extra $20 for turning.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:22 AM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by MKPatrick
Hello,

I have a 2013 Mustang 5.0 with the Brembo package that has 14" rotors on the front.
I am told there is 5mm of pad left on the front brakes.

The Ford dealer wants 600+ to do the brakes, just the front! There has to be a cheaper alternative.

So I went looking for the pads themselves so I could attempt it myself. I usually have no time at all to be able to do these tasks, so I have to hire it done.

I tried on Summit and Ford's site, I can't find the brake pads. I don't know for sure which pad will work for my application. I'm only street driving, no track stuff.

Can anyone help me locate these brakes pads/parts? I don't mind going aftermarket, I'm just trying to avoid paying an arm and a leg.

Thanks for any help on this,

M
Hey Mk,

There definitely is a cheaper alternative for you!

I have a 2014 Track Pack GT myself and run the Hawk Performance HPS Brake Pads on the front and the Hawk Performance Ceramic Brake Pads on the rear.

I absolutely love the setup and I feel as if you will too, especially when you take the price difference into consideration!

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions!

- Will

Last edited by AMWill; 01-29-2015 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:33 PM
jhawkr
2nd Gear Member

I'm curious as to your mileage on your car. I have a 2014 GT with Brembo's
Old 01-23-2015, 03:43 PM
MKPatrick

By mileage, do you mean the mpg? If so, that is around 24-26. But only if I really cruise and stay out of the throttle. Which for me is nearly impossible.

If you mean the odometer mileage, its around 46k right now.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:44 PM
MKPatrick

Originally Posted by AMWill
Hey Mk,

There definitely is a cheaper alternative for you!

I have a 2014 Track Pack GT myself and run the Hawk Performance HPS Brake Pads on the front and the Hawk Performance Ceramic Brake Pads on the rear.

I absolutely love the setup and I feel as if you will too, especially when you take the price difference into consideration!

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions!

- Will
Does yours have the same Brembo's as the 2013 5.0's that came with them? If so, what p/n did you use?
Mike

Quick Reply: 2013 5.0 Brembo Brakes