Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattle behind molding drivers side upper left

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 02:52 PM
msbmustang

Default Rattle behind molding drivers side upper left

rattle behind molding drivers side upper left [hr] In my 2007 Mustang Coupe I have a rattle right next to my left ear behind the molding around the top of the door. There is a joint in the molding right where the sound originates and it is directly above the where the door lock is. The flat plastic, upper inner door molding looks like it should just pop out but I would rather see how it done before trying to force it out. (I a very good at breaking plastic parts that I think should just pop out!) I have fixed a lot of other rattles (inside the doors, fuse panel door, glove box, center console handle, air bag doors, etc.) but this one has sme tumped because I can't see an easy way to pop out the inside molding around the upper part of the door. Any pics or procedures would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

MSB Mustang / Mark[/align]
Old 09-17-2007, 03:37 PM
underbird10
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Rattle behind molding drivers side upper left

It pops right off. I've had mine off twice to run my Sirius antenna cable behind it. There are compression clips holding it to the body of the car. One at the joint, then others as you go towards the A-pillar. Simply pull on the molding at the point where the clips are located.

I've got the same rattle, but I haven't bothered to try and fix it yet. Probably put some moleskin behind it or something.

Good luck!

UB10
Old 09-17-2007, 04:29 PM
Fletch
2nd Gear Member

I have that rattle...and I've heard others on here complain about it too. Not worth messing with the panels though, in my opinion. With my luck, I probably won't get them to line up correctly again, or it'll rattle worse.

~Fletch~
Old 09-17-2007, 05:42 PM
msbmustang

If someone has taken the molding off please tell me how you did it and I will attack the noise problem in the roof area by the drivers left ear. I have already solved various noise problems in the dash area and both doors. Most problems stem from those U shaped inserts that have a threaded sleeve in them. They are used to put a threaded screw whole almost anywhere as long as there is a big hole with an edge to slide them over/into but THEY RATTLE! A simple fix is to put some damping tape (heavy electrical tape will work also) between the u shaped part of the clip and the metal edge of the hole it slips over. I have done this in several places in the doors where these clips were making a lot of rattling noise and those rattle noises have gone away. Ford could easily have fixed all of these! Still love my 07 Mustang though!

But to get to this one in the roof I need to take the molding off first and I don't want to pry hard on it until I know how it comes off.

I have also removed the door on the fuse compartment on the passenger side foot area and put some LPS greaseless lube on the plastic clips that hold the air bag module in place. You have to remove the glove box and bend yourself into a pretzel to get up under the glove box area to apply the LPS without getting the spray on lube on anything else but the plastic lock tabs for the air bag. It appears the entire cabin of these cars are snapped together!

One I can't fix is inside the instrument panel. It makes a large "sprong" sound from the speedometer meter every time I hit a large bump. I floated the entire instrument panel on EAR isodamp material and that eliminated it for all but the largest bumps...and we have a lot of those in California! I may request a new instrument panel under warranty and see if that helps. If not I will have to cut the tabs off and see why the meter for the speedometer makes that terrible ringing sound.