Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 GT Badge

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 05:02 PM
SkidLid
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 07 GT Badge

ORIGINAL: s2k

I was thinking about taking it off and painting it to match to torch red. Good idea? or any?
The Euro paint look is always good if you follow through IMHO. I would also do the rear GT cap, mirrors and grill to complete the look if possible to complete it.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:29 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

I replaced mine with these........."http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u...8/100_0315.jpg"
Old 09-17-2007, 05:48 PM
0NF1R
5th Gear Member

okay here is a little BEWARE for ya......

BEWARE of the prep and painting aspects of this customization....
the emblem itself is made of plastic but is coated with metal chrome.....
i took mine off and had them airbrushed and the paint just came right off when u put a little directional pressure with your thumb on the corners........im sure it has everything to do with the metal chrome coating still under the paint preventing it from bonding.......if you do this, just be preparedfor this possibility......

as for removing, i didnt use a heat gun or a hair dryer.......i just got a 3 ft piece of plastic fishing line and sawed through the double sided tape, from the left to center, then from right to center or vice versa (doesnt matter)...after that they come right off....

once you get them off, you will need to remove the double sided tape residue from the back of the emblems prior to painting......theres no easy way to do it so i just resorted to the good ole fashioned 'fingernail scrape' technique.......hurt like h3ll but i got it done lol.......

then ull need to clean the residue off of the fender...this can be accomplished with the use of a terry cloth and some acetone (didnt damage my paint at all, just waxed the area a little when the job was done)....

then upon re-application, ull just need to buy some 3m double sided tape ($2.88 from Wal-Mart in the Hardware section) and cut some small pieces to fit on the back of your newly painted badges.......

when your looking for the tape, stand clear of the tape that is white and looks like some type of foam or cushion tape, its g@y and will make your badges stick out too far; get the kind that is either clear or gray looking (the clear kind is rated STRONG and the gray is rated SUPER-STRONG.......

just a little info for ya!
Old 09-17-2007, 06:20 PM
SkidLid
1st Gear Member

Thanks ONF1R, great pointers. Saves alot of guess work.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:40 PM
0NF1R
5th Gear Member

anytime!
Old 09-17-2007, 07:48 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

I would not paint them w/o sanding them first. ...yeah I know that sounds a bit time consuming. Use 220 wet to get them dulled down. I would try rattle can autobody etching primer (NAPA has it), then same brand for color if they have your color. Before doing anything test the etching primer on a piece of scrap plastic or pvc. If your going with a different brand of top coat than primer also test the two products for compatibility. Should be no big deal.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:52 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Kind of like that officer.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:01 PM
stangdude81
2nd Gear Member

As for getting the residue off of the fender and the emblem, try Goo-Gone (about $5 at Walmart in the paint section) I tried the thumb method for a while, but when I found that stuff, it was a thumb saver. Let it soak and the stuff comes off easy. It won't hurt the paint either, it's made from oranges or something. BTW Acetone will hurt the paint, whether you see it or not, it does hurt paint. And never use acetone on plastic, it will melt it chemically.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:25 AM
0NF1R
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stangdude81

BTW Acetone will hurt the paint, whether you see it or not, it does hurt paint. And never use acetone on plastic, it will melt it chemically.
lol its ok, you seems to have misread my advice....i wouldnt direct him to use the acetone on the fender emblem...

my advice to him was:
ORIGINAL: 0NF1R

then ull need to clean the residue off of the fender...this can be accomplished with the use of a terry cloth and some acetone (didnt damage my paint at all, just waxed the area a little when the job was done)....
Old 09-18-2007, 08:54 AM
sleeper2
3rd Gear Member

These pictures might help answer the emblem holes questions. I used WAXED dental floss, goo-gone (or some other citrus/safe thing like it) and rubbing alcohol (not much) to clean the fender. I don't feel comfortable using heat on the paint, but a lot of people do with no problem.

This shows the dental floss trick, the BLUE masking tape is to give me level and distance reference points for later. (Easier than measuring.)

This shows the mounting "pins" of the emblem.

Here are the infamous holes:

Here's the finished product. Still looking for a "281" with the flags!

Hope this helps.

Sleeper2

Quick Reply: 07 GT Badge