Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rocker Panel Stripe?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 03:00 PM
MlissaG

Default Rocker Panel Stripe?

Ok now Ive heard that to take these bad boys off I need a hairdryer and goo gone? Has that worked for anyone here? Where can I buy goo gone- like a hardware store or autozone? Or are there any other suggestions?
Im open to any helpful hints!

Also I dont like the white stripe on my alloy metalic but since im going to make some changes and have black accents I dont think Id mind getting a rocker panel stripe in black down the road. Anyone know where I can find a really good one- I kind of want it to be more unique.... not sure- I remember seeing this bad ace one on a screaming yellow pony here but cant remember who's it was

Again any help will be appreciated
Old 09-17-2007, 03:06 PM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Rocker Panel Stripe?

I've seen it at some of the grocery and drugstore chains here in S. Fla. probably Walmart too if I had to guess...

also here: http://www.autobarn.net/mgcgg12.html

Old 09-17-2007, 03:12 PM
MlissaG

but have you used it? I mean theres automotive speciality ones and I dont want to use the normal stuff if its gonna damage my paint?
I kinda want to do this tonight so gimme some advice here guys!!!
Old 09-17-2007, 03:19 PM
05MustangSally
4th Gear Member

If you have patience and a steady hand, it's easy as pie. You don't really need a blow dryer depending on whereyou live. I did mine here in the Bay Area in May where it was about 80 degrees. If it's too hot, a blowdryer will melt the adhesive on the stripe and it will stick a lot worse. I actually washed the car first, which I think helped. Just use a razor blade on the edges to lift the decal, then slowly start to peel it back. Everytime it breaks apart, just continue the routine. Only use the goo-gone if you have sticky residue leftover. Before you use it, I recommend washing the car first after you remove the decal too. I didn't have to use any adhesive remover after I washed my car first. Goo-Gonecan be bought in the hardware section at WalMart, Target, ACE Hardware or Kragen.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:24 PM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

I used it to remove the dealer sticker from the back of mine and it worked fine - no damage to the paint. Just need to apply it a couple of times on the more stubborn parts. Then you need to clean and wax the area.

As for a unique stripe - see the top of this forum under Tacobill's install instructions for a very nice fading stripe. Also try Baltimore Street Mods or Bob White or Graphic Express.

Good luck!
Old 09-17-2007, 03:27 PM
MlissaG

Thank you much- esspecially the advice about not needing a blowdryer if you live where its hot. Im in Texas and its like 90+ degrees outside right now and prob wont start cooling down till around 8
Old 09-17-2007, 03:33 PM
05MustangSally
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MlissaG

Thank you much- esspecially the advice about not needing a blowdryer if you live where its hot. Im in Texas and its like 90+ degrees outside right now and prob wont start cooling down till around 8
Oh then I definitely would recommend NOT using a blowdryer. It should come off nice and quick then! These cars look much better without the rocker panel stripes IMO
Old 09-17-2007, 06:56 PM
MlissaG

Thanks for the help everyone- I just went outside when I got home this afternoon and used my fingernail to get an edge started and the stripes came right off. I washed, clay bar'd and waxed it to and it looks bEautiful! Thank you again for the help. I really like the outcome and now I cant wait to get started on other "mods"!
Old 09-17-2007, 07:37 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MlissaG

Thanks for the help everyone- I just went outside when I got home this afternoon and used my fingernail to get an edge started and the stripes came right off. I washed, clay bar'd and waxed it to and it looks bEautiful! Thank you again for the help. I really like the outcome and now I cant wait to get started on other "mods"!
Bet it looks a whole lot better (cleaner looking). I doubt you'll add rocker stripes (any color) down the road. One of the best mods especially in your color for not much money is painted mirrors. You need to do the sanding. I have all that prep info if you decide to go for that mod. Good job man!