Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi from C6 land ...

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 06:29 AM
brian70068
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Hi from C6 land ...

RUSTANGS (oops ... did I say that ??)

Old 09-19-2007, 07:09 AM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

Greetings tjfontaine

As a former vette and viper owner, you might wonder why I now drive a mustang. Had 3 vettes, last one was a C5 Z06, then a GTS. Well...I am always looking for a new driving experience and decided to mod the heck out of a GT. Really very happy with the mustang. Very very comfortable, a/c is fantastic (really important where I live), and it's a pretty fast car now. Funnily I am still registered as the owner of the Viper on the feviper site but I don't visit those forums anymore. All in all, very enjoyable experience with the mustang. Still think about the vettes and viper but I am definitely a convert.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:05 AM
kodos78
2nd Gear Member

I am also a former Corvette owner. I could have bought a C6 instead of the Mustang, but I wanted a convertible (the C6 vert is a little pricey), and I wanted to take my family with me on road trips (my 3 year old son is a car nut, and I think he's converting my 18 month old daughter ).

That really only left the Mustang. The beautiful thing about Mustangs is that they are infinitely customizable. I don't think I've seen as much variety in a modern automobile as you do with the S197s. And, they are great looking cars off the showroom floor! Ford did a bang up job on these new ones.

So instead, I'm budgeting out mods to the stang, with the money I saved over the C6. I plan on keeping this car for quite some time. The Saleen SC with 475hp upgrade kit is being installed right now. And then maybe I will try my luck against some C6s once it's tuned

Viva La Vette!
Old 09-19-2007, 10:10 AM
s2k
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: brian70068

RUSTANGS (oops ... did I say that ??)

lawl
Old 09-19-2007, 11:33 AM
JRT1
4th Gear Member

My Dad just sold his 04' vette vert, man it was sweet; I believe he is going to pick up an 08 now.
Iwould drop myMustang in a second for an 08 vette ifI could afford it.
I was trying to talk the ole man into a Mustang; he likes the looks of them but he keeps coming around to the whole price to performance ratio.
You can get a nice vette for nearly the same price as a Roush or Saleen; the Mustangs just can't compare for price to performance ratio.

WTF I'll do an Enzyte commercial if they give me a Vette.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:45 PM
brian70068
2nd Gear Member

[align=left]JRT1.......... WTF I'll do an Enzyte commercial if they give me a Vette LOL[/align]
Old 09-19-2007, 06:38 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JRT1

You can get a nice vette for nearly the same price as a Roush or Saleen; the Mustangs just can't compare for price to performance ratio.
Well if you are strictly comparing price per ponya stockmustang GT wins every time. I don't know why you would compare a custom mustang (saleen, roush) to a stock C6. You should really be comparing the GT500 to a 2008 c6 because it's actually made by ford. I know the GT500 isn't a corvette either, but with minimal modifications it could easily take one in a straight line
Old 09-19-2007, 07:32 PM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tjfontaine

Was getting bored over on the Corvette forum ... thought I would pop over and see what you Stang guys are talking about ... I want to say I really love the new Mustang ... yeah, I am a Vette guy but all cars have their proper place right? My wife has been bugging me to get a new Mustang for her ... maybe if we move to a warmer climate (my C6 is NOT my DD ... Jeep for that for me, Lexus for her) ... Anyway, love the new stangs and I know the non-Shelbys or non modifieds are not a threat to my C6 I still have a thing for the look of the newest Ford Ponycar. Enjoy your sweet ride gang ...
Bored on the Corvette Forum???? Try Off Topic or better yet, Events/Northeast, that'll keep ya entertained!!!

Good site, I was on there 3 years with my Vettes (Two '92's and a'00...not all at once!)
Good Luck with the C6!!!!
Old 09-19-2007, 08:19 PM
tjfontaine

Good thread - am enjoying the responses!

Don't get caught up in comparing the Vettes to the stangs - different cars, different purposes - both nice - you have to admire detroit in 05 with bringing out both the C6 and the new Mustang - I actually am now watching for that new challenger to come out ... I am not so hot on the new Camaro design.

Some of you here have some pretty nice mustangs and are in College?? Man, I was flat broke back then ...

On the Corvette forum topic - yes, I am in off topic a lot ... but getting bored with that too ...

Had a mustang GT rental car in Hawaii ... liked it a lot and was very comfy ... only thing that surprised me was it seemed to suck gas ... not sure if that is common but the rental got an average of maybe 16 mpg in combo driving around Oahu ... highway and city ... my C6 does a lot better ... the stang is definitely easier to get in and out of but the C6 is not a prob for me at all ... the older C4s now ... man, that was a challenge ... would have never had a vette if they were still like that (the seating anyway) ...

My first real mustang experiences .... I was 13 or so and knew a guy who worked as a bag boy at the grocery store where my Dad delivered Milk ... he had a 390 Mach I ... 69 or 70, not sure which ... anyway I bugged him a lot about a ride so finally one night he agreed and me and my buddy got to ride back seat while he cruised around town with his best pal looking for races ... and we FOUND a few ... how cool was it to go around smoking other cars!! Couldn't tell the folks though .... but I ended up buying a 68 Camaro Z28 for my first car with a roached 302 ... pulled that out, and built up an L88 427 from a crashed vette .... put all my money into that bad boy ... had one more camaro later on , then also a 78 Black Trans Am ... had my share of sports sedans over the last few years but the vette was my first trip back to Sports car / muscle car land ...

Like that you guys put up the pics of your rides in your signatures ... again, there are some REALLY cool rides in here ... that one black stang with the foose wheels is AWESOME ...

Old 09-19-2007, 10:12 PM
JRT1
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

ORIGINAL: JRT1

Well if you are strictly comparing price per ponya stockmustang GT wins every time. I don't know why you would compare a custom mustang (saleen, roush) to a stock C6. You should really be comparing the GT500 to a 2008 c6 because it's actually made by ford. I know the GT500 isn't a corvette either, but with minimal modifications it could easily take one in a straight line
Because a stock Mustang and stock Corvette are not even close to being in the same league; the only thing the Mustang would win in price. It can’t come close to performance on the straights or the bends or even in comfort that the Vettes have. That is why you have to compare a Roush or Saleen, to get into the same HP and price tag range. The problem there is that those cars still can’t compare to a Corvette on the bends or in comfort.

You can’t compare a GT500 to a Corvette anyways because the GT500 is a limited production vehicle with over-inflated prices and the Corvettes are not. Besides I don’t personally care if the car is made by Ford; it is not about whom it is made by, but what I can get for the dollars; at least this is the way that my dad looks at it and I have to agree.

He can get a 2008 Corvette nicely equipped with 430HP for 50K, or get a Roush 427R with 427HP for 48K.
Well sure the HP is close, but the amenities are not there:
No heated seats
No leather seats
Stock dashboard
Plain Jane gauges
No IUP
No premium trim package
No shaker 500
Plain Jane suspension
The ugly Roush facia
You get the idea the list goes on.
The Saleen’s are a bit better in the amenities but a lot more money too.

At 31K a loaded Mustang like mine with 300HP is a decent deal.
A Mustang in the 50K range is not a place I would be, for those dollars I would much rather buy a Corvette. That is my opinion because I hold no brand loyalty, I will buy what I feel is the best deal in the price range and for 50K that would be a Corvette hands down.