Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustangs & Snow

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 06:39 AM
Trez83
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Mustangs & Snow

I drive mine in the snow all the time. She's my only ride. I live in the "hilly" section of Philadelphia and I must say, I use the stock all season tires and just keep the momentum up. If it is really bad, I'll but 100 lbs of Quik Crete bags in the trunk. Works great!
Old 09-19-2007, 07:23 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

IMO, no way would I use the Stang as my DD in your neck of the woods. Especially with 4.10's and all that torque, you'll be puckering your butt WAY too much. Get a beater and garage your baby or you'll be kicking yourself.

Trust me. Born and raised in PA,lived in Michigan for some time, 39 years of driving under my belt...
Old 09-19-2007, 07:29 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

No need to get freaky about it. I drove both a 67 and a 69 Mustang back in the day with snow tires 35 miles one way to work in the snow. You just need to slow down and use common sense. Dunlop, Perrelli make a nice snow tire for our car. Even in 18 inch so check out tirerack. They do suggest you put a set of 4 on though for maximum grip. They don't want you spinning out because your summer tires on the front didn't grip.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:32 AM
ilmor
3rd Gear Member

The youngsters nowadays are nervous, I think, because they've grown up w/ front and all-wheel drive....
Old 09-19-2007, 07:36 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ilmor

The youngsters nowadays are nervous, I think, because they've grown up w/ front and all-wheel drive....

That's right. We didn't know what FWD was till the late 70's. If you wanted to go somewhere and it was slick out, saddle up! There were times when I drove on the ice and had one side of my car on the unpaved shoulder to get traction, but that was ice. No help there except studs or chains.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:08 AM
Commander Bubbles
2nd Gear Member

Just use it for your spring->fall driver. dd or not. Snow kills cars too much. You won't regret it.
Get a $1000 beater..you getting that car proves you can afford it.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:32 AM
Dwisforme05
5th Gear Member

although its horrible for the car to drive it in the snow i love it! when my neighboor hood is all snowed in and no plows. i just whip the car around all those turns and curves. i love it. a bunch of people in my neighborhood do it too hahah. you see people with there sn97's and 95s just sliding around corners.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:46 AM
p51mstg
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT Rick

TABOO (AND THE REST TOO)

I've been to BC (Grouse Mt.). Yes much more hilly then around here. I have driven SUV, for the last 15 years, with the exception of my Chyrs 300, which was FWD. I got spoild with that, but I was raised here, so I think (hope) a pair of blizzak's and some patients may be ok.....I guess I can always "change gears" and pick up a honda if it get too bad
RWD not a problem in WI, MN, ND, SD, etc. You just need to use your brain a little more. It's like flying a taildragger after learning on tricycle gear - makes you nervous at first, but once you're used to it, it's not really as bad as most people think.

I do agree about the tires - they can make or break a winter weather commute.

This is my third Mustang DD, and I traded an AWD Subaru for it. The AWD was cool - not a single vice, never had a problem, could go through anything (including snow drifts higher than the bumper), but I only needed it a few days a year. To be bored out of my mind 360+ days a year just so I can bust snow drifts a couple of times didn't make sense to me.

The logic behind getting a winter beater out of safety concerns escapes me - seems like too much of a contradiction. Also, the idea that FWD is safer is a falacy, at a minimum because of weight distribution.

What I like about RWD is how it communicates to the driver - you know when traction is bad. With FWD, you don't get the same kind of message until the car is pointing in the opposite direction than you're going.

I also like ABS, and I know that some people don't. I used to put about 70,000 miles per year on MN, WI and Dakota roads, and was assigned a Corsica with ABS for the first time back in the late 80's. Including that car, I don't think I've ever driven and ABS-equipped car that didn't save me from having an accident at least once.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:50 AM
p51mstg
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo

ORIGINAL: ilmor

That's right. We didn't know what FWD was till the late 70's. If you wanted to go somewhere and it was slick out, saddle up! There were times when I drove on the ice and had one side of my car on the unpaved shoulder to get traction, but that was ice. No help there except studs or chains.
MN outlawed studs before I was learning to drive, but you're right - nobody had FWD, except for maybe Saab, and those were rare enough. Everybody got around just fine with RWD.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:00 AM
s2k
5th Gear Member

The stang is decent in the snow. It moves if you know how to drive. and in the event of an emergancy please do not slam on the brakes. Move the tires in the direction you want them to go and let it roll itsself.

Quick Reply: Mustangs & Snow