Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do some people take their new stangs back to the dealer for non-warranty work?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 12:58 PM
96GTponyup
2nd Gear Member

Default Why do some people take their new stangs back to the dealer for non-warranty work?

I was just wondering why some people take their 05s back to FORD to get upgrade work done to it. Like gears, pulleys some other things like that.

I would think that FORD would be waaayyyy more $$$$ than a garage would be plus they would know waht has been done to the car as far as the warranty goes. Do they cut you a little deal on the work if you bought it there and do they give a little more slack as far as the warranty goes since they did the work?
Old 02-17-2005, 01:01 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Why do some people take their new stangs back to the dealer for non-warranty work?

I would imagine they do it to keep their warranty
Old 02-17-2005, 01:05 PM
96GTponyup
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Why do some people take their new stangs back to the dealer for non-warranty work?

So your saying that if I put gears and pulleys on my car I should take it to a Ford dealership to have them installed?
ORIGINAL: mdvaldosta

I would imagine they do it to keep their warranty
Old 02-17-2005, 10:16 PM
Casper98GT
I ♥ Acer

Im guessing this is pointed at me>? Well, i will tell you why i would bring it to a FORD dealership.

1. They have EVERY special service tool needed.

2. there are 15-30 of us Technicians around, so if you have a aftermarket part, and you dont know how to install it. Ask another tech. Chances are there is at least one Mustang guy there.

3. It doesnt matter where you go for aftermarket parts, if they cause something to break, then youre paying NOT ford warranty.

4. And youre warranty still stands no matter what you do to it. But like i said, if something breaks, you pay.

5. When you bring it to a dealership, you get quality, but yeah. You pay alot more also.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:02 AM
MongrelMan
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Casper98GT

Im guessing this is pointed at me>? Well, i will tell you why i would bring it to a FORD dealership.

1. They have EVERY special service tool needed.

2. there are 15-30 of us Technicians around, so if you have a aftermarket part, and you dont know how to install it. Ask another tech. Chances are there is at least one Mustang guy there.

3. It doesnt matter where you go for aftermarket parts, if they cause something to break, then youre paying NOT ford warranty.

4. And youre warranty still stands no matter what you do to it. But like i said, if something breaks, you pay.

5. When you bring it to a dealership, you get quality, but yeah. You pay alot more also.
Yup ... I'd rather pay more money and sleep better at night.

Taking your ride to "some garage other than the dealer" for work is like having sex without a condom.... If you know the mechanic well then its alright... but most of us dont have a mechanic as a brother in law so if you dont know them that well then theres huge risk at play. I've heard many, MANY stories of mechanics bustings things on my friend's rides and then try to play it off

Old 02-18-2005, 11:05 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

normally i'd agree with Mongrel, but a local mustang shop here is like numero uno. the guy there that does the work is good. really good, and he treats everyone's stang like it was his own when working on it. Acer took his stang in there for gears after getting loudmouths welded in, and the guy immediately said "you need to take that **** back and have them fix it." if i didn't have a place like this nearby, i'd probably be at the dealership getting the work done.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:14 AM
96GTponyup
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, I have my own mechanic who cuts me a deal and there is a great shop where I live that works only on Mustangs and Lightings.
ORIGINAL: nanaki

normally i'd agree with Mongrel, but a local mustang shop here is like numero uno. the guy there that does the work is good. really good, and he treats everyone's stang like it was his own when working on it. Acer took his stang in there for gears after getting loudmouths welded in, and the guy immediately said "you need to take that **** back and have them fix it." if i didn't have a place like this nearby, i'd probably be at the dealership getting the work done.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:37 PM
ninja205
3rd Gear Member

How does it stand over there for warrentys? do you have to have it serviced by main dealership to retain the warrenty? over here in england now you can get any garage you choose to service your new car and the warrenty wont be invalid! the law changed so people stopped paying main dealer prices for services and main dealer labour charge which is approx $110 usd per hour + the lovely 17.5% value added tax we have over here aswel
Old 02-18-2005, 03:57 PM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nanaki

nanaki i know u live in northern va....where is this guy at and what is this place called?
Old 02-18-2005, 05:30 PM
graphicguy
2nd Gear Member

Actually, if you're talking routine maintenance like oil changes, brake jobs, tune-ups, etc....I've seen what the local dealer charges and it's right in line with the ProCare, Midas, Quickie Lube guys.....sometimes a little less. They even have it promiently posted in their shop that they'll meet or beat any price for OEM tires as well as tire services (like rotations).

I don't know how they are for major work like rebuilding the heads or major tranny work, though.