Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Max HP with Stock Internals

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 10:03 PM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Max HP with Stock Internals

ORIGINAL: Bluestang05
I think JPC told me that their mustang went to 560 rwhp before stuff started breaking, but he recommended that i dont go above 500 rwhp on stock internals.
some are just lucky
exceed 450RWHP at your own risk
Old 09-23-2007, 10:09 PM
M
2nd Gear Member

the best builders all say if you go much above 450 its only a matter of time...it will hold but for how long?

if you dont have the budget for an engine build run 8#'s of boost until you can build the engine right.

and next time try the search first, chances are most answers are out there somewhere by this point of time when talking about superchargers

Old 09-23-2007, 10:45 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

The simple truth is most big builders don't have a specific 'safe' HP number recommendation because there isn't one.

The general consensus is that the weak link in the stock bottom end is mainly the weak rods. It is also the concensus that the rods are subject to failure more due to BOOST than to a specific HP amount.

The pros seem to think that a good tune at 10 psi is about the limit for the stock bottom end. Now, whatever HP you can get on 10 psi should be your personal limit. Some can get 500, others can get 430, but the main thing is to keep the boost max in the 9-10 psi range if you want to keep your stock motor intact for any length of time...

You guys always crack me up when you ask about dyno rwhp...lol

If you ever start concentrating on TORQUE and hooking that torque, then you'll quickly find out that rwhp doesn't mean sqaut in relation to being fast at the track...

Torque + hook = fast
rwhp = pretty little dyno sheet

BTW: I ran a 10.90 on a daily driver with 484 rwhp with the stock limiter setting...
Old 09-24-2007, 10:57 AM
jerjan
4th Gear Member

Rear wheel HP can vary greatly with superchargers. It greatly depends on the supercharger design. Belt driven superchargers have parasitic loss. Turbo chargers don't. So a belt driven unit will use HP to produce HP. That power it uses to drive itself never reaches the rear wheels. On the other hand, turbo chargers produce power without using power from the engine. This makes them more efficient. For instance, my car has 456 HP at the rear wheels. My supercharger is probably using 60-70 HP to drive itself. Couple that with the 15% loss in the driveline and my engine is really producing upwards of 600 HP at the crank. The 450 RWHP limit stated by Kenne Bell takes this into consideration. If you run a turbocharger, 500 to 520 RWHP would be about the same stress on the motor as 450 RWHP with a belt driven unit.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:17 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

I wouldn't go higher than 450rwhp.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:41 PM
mustang02racing
2nd Gear Member

ok thanks for the info i have an 02 gt but my buddy got an 05 with a saleen s/c thats pushing 500 rwhp and i told him ill see where he stands in a year when he blows his motor. i personally theink that if your building up a car u should start this the motor first then the s/c cuz doing the s/c first and then the motor is double the work or double the labor charge if you dont do your own work.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:54 PM
Dex
5th Gear Member

it will handle more than 450 but if there is any detnation it goes BOOM! forged internals gives you forgiveness if its pings
Old 09-24-2007, 03:21 PM
RED121572
4th Gear Member

I read an article about a year a half ago. The guy that owns Steeda said, "Anything more than 420wrhp your just waiting to buy a new engine."
Old 09-24-2007, 04:13 PM
kleistang
3rd Gear Member

mustang02racing
what kind of hp are you putting to the wheels with all those mods? just curios
Old 09-24-2007, 04:13 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

I have read that these motors can handle upwards of 1100HP. In fact a buddy of mine took an engine out of a wrecked '06 GT and had a custom twin-turbo setup done on it, and powered his Cessna with it. It died after its first trip across the Atlanticfrom hydrolock, because of the condensation that builtup in the motor at 38,000 feet, but for $900 it was cheaper than even the fuel used on the trip. According to his truthful review, the only drawback of the aluminum 3v 4.6L in a plane was its lightweight caused the nose to constantly pitch up. Thats not really to blame though since these engines weren't meant to leave the ground.

Anyways don't under-estimate these motors!!

Quick Reply: Max HP with Stock Internals