Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hidden stock performance tune?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 11:32 AM
RAYSALVAGE

Default RE: Hidden stock performance tune?

This is the first time I have tried to respond to the site. I have been reading threads for about 5 months, (when I purchased a 2005 GT)

Question, I have been running 87 gas, with stock tune. If I switched to 93 gas would there be any change in power?

Oh, by the way, I am 62 and had lots of motorcycles, and hot cars in my past. The new style stang is one of the most fun things to drive I have ever been in or on. Ford got it right this time.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:33 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

yeah but don't do this in heavy traffic

ORIGINAL: Dex

there is a nitrous bottle under the back seats too. I think to activate it you say "go gadget go!" because its bluetooth
Old 09-26-2007, 11:37 AM
banka87
4th Gear Member

It makes a little sense to me. Unlikely, but possible.

MYTHBUSTERS!?
Old 09-26-2007, 11:39 AM
300GT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Maverick9110E

yea and wheres the hidden ludacris speed switch?
The Schwartz is strong with this one! Gotta love Spaceballs references.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:44 AM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

Ahh... you kinda have a skewed view of what it is. Your sorta right, but mostly wrong.

Limp mode tune is hard coded into the PCM in a non-volatile memory type. To draw an anaolgy, think of it as information that has been burned into a non-rewriteable CD. It can be read, just not changed.

Then, you have the main parameters that are written into the PCM's Flash memory. These are the base values that the PCM uses to control the vehicle and all of it's functions. Every time it has to do something, it reads some sensors and references this information. Again, it's written in flash memory so it can be changed, but it's not a volatile type memory, so when power is removed and later re-supplied, it will still be there. Also within these tables are Maximum values that no matter what, cannot be exceeded by anything the computer does. These can be changed also, because they are in the flash type memory.

Next you have the "Learning Tables" or sometimes called "long term and short term trims". These tables are used to modify the values that are in the Main parameters. These tables also cannot be modified by people, but they are 100% created by a learning algorithim that the PCM has in it. It figures out whether or not it canor shouldadd or pull timing, add or pull fuel, and about a billion other things. These table reside in Volatile memory, that is to say that when the power is removed, these table will erase after a short while. When someone tells you to pull a battery cable to reset the PCM, this is what your killing. When someone says that "their tune fades" (a term which I REALLY hate and is ridiculously wrong), it's because these table are modifying the tune to within it's safety parameters.

From what I understand (and this part is 3rd hand knowledge), when a car is assembled and readied for delivery, after a short break-in period, a tech (not sure if its at the factory ot dealer) connects into the OBDII port, and locks all the values into their maximum figure and runs the car for a minute or two like this. So, this MAY be the "hidden performance tune" your talking about... but running your car like this for any length of time would be retardly dangerous.

Old 09-26-2007, 11:53 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

cool, how do we do it j/k [8D]

ORIGINAL: GT Bob

. but running your car like this for any length of time would be retardly dangerous.

Old 09-26-2007, 12:01 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Maverick9110E

yea and wheres the hidden ludacris speed switch?
Ahhhh, another "Spaceballs" fan...
Old 09-26-2007, 12:03 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RAYSALVAGE
.....Question, I have been running 87 gas, with stock tune. If I switched to 93 gas would there be any change in power?....
NO! This topic has been beat to death. Do a search, but you won't gain jack with higher than 87 octane without a tune.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:08 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hammeron

cool, how do we do it j/k [8D]

. but running your car like this for any length of time would be retardly dangerous.

Yeah, especially since most of us are retarded AND dangerous... LOL!
Old 09-26-2007, 12:08 PM
300GT
3rd Gear Member

.. but running your car like this for any length of time would be retardly dangerous.
And dangerously retarded...

Quick Reply: Hidden stock performance tune?