Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

extended warranty bs

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 04:27 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Default RE: extended warranty bs

ORIGINAL: BigFloppy

ORIGINAL: 07MustangGT_girl - P.S. don't buy the extra warranties/rust proof for future reference....
You say don't buy extended warranties, I for 1 am glad I did!
2006 Focus, 38K miles on the clock and the steering rack went out
GOT arental car for 2 days and they put new rack on the Focus,... cost me $100

Good, now sell the focus
Old 09-26-2007, 04:28 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: StowesStang

ORIGINAL: Derf00

ORIGINAL: torch red

i have never bought a warranty..they are a waste..

I think you are stuck with it..sorry..
No he's not. I've cancelled them before either because I traded the car in or I sold it before the extended warranty expired. It's just prorated.
ESP is the best one. That is a direct extension of the ford OEM warranty and is backed by ford. No third parties to deal with and it provides a free loaner car whenever the car is in for service.

The aftermarket 3rd party warranties are the ones where most headaches occur because they will argue with the dealership about what is and is not covered. Ford is Ford. If it's listed in the 'covered' list and it's not a direct result of abuse (hammer marks on a starter for example), it's covered, no questions asked.

Very correct! They will cancel at your request, and refund at a prorated amount. My husband works for Ford and we dont take extended warranty because it is just what you said, a waste, and you really dont benefit unless you have a major claim and even then they will investigate the s**t out of it before they pay. I cant remember which one was better, ESP or Millinium but one is not worth a crap at all!!!

Also,let me add, there is a lot of stipulations before they will pay for even the smallest thing. I had it on my 2004 and never had a reason come up to use it. The only thing that I ever needed done when I had it was struts and extended warranty wont cover that unless they can determine manf. defect and we all know how impossible that can be. So, I paid $1200 and never got to use it.
ESP is the best one of them. It's FoMoCo backed. Therefore the dealer works directly with Ford not a third party like most where the arguments, stipulations, and delays occur. If it's on the 'covered list' which is in plain english, and there's no sign of abuse (i.e. hammer marks on a starter) then it's covered, no if ands or buts.

It also gives you a loaner car and can be warrantied at ANY ford dealership. 3rd parties will typically say "only participating dealers" and you have to call them first to find out which one is participating before the tow.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:37 PM
dly
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BigFloppy

ORIGINAL: 07MustangGT_girl - P.S. don't buy the extra warranties/rust proof for future reference....
You say don't buy extended warranties, I for 1 am glad I did!
2006 Focus, 38K miles on the clock and the steering rack went out
GOT arental car for 2 days and they put new rack on the Focus,... cost me $100
Plus you pay for the Extended Warranty. So you pay way more than $100 for that Steering Rack. Your have to wait till the end of your Warranty, add up the cost of all repairs (at $100 each time)plus the Warrenty vs. what you would have paid for repairs out of your own pocket during this time. Only then will you see if it was a good decision.

dly 07 Black GT/CS
Old 09-26-2007, 04:39 PM
WPsharpshooter
3rd Gear Member

I had the extended warranty on my Z71 and then the fuel pump and some other odd an end things went out, 1400 dollars worth of work done to it and it cost me 100 bucks, Then my AC compressor went out on it there was another 800 bucks, cost me 100 bucks, so as you can see I benifited by having the service plan...
Old 09-26-2007, 04:51 PM
underdog
1st Gear Member

I had a 98 Chevy truck and got the extended warranty, It paid for two transmissions, so it was worth it for me. Not sure if the same company does fords as well but it really depends if something goes wrong on your vehicle and if you can fix it yourself or have to get the shop to fix it. I think of it like Insurance, if you never get into a accident, then it was the biggest waste of money but only one major accident and it pays for itself. IMHO
Old 09-27-2007, 12:56 PM
Leoleo
3rd Gear Member

When ever I bought Extented Warrenties, and got my monies worth. I car I didn't, auto trans went at 86,000 miles. Cost me $2500.00. Extented warrenty would have cost me $1000. I should have bought it. If you keep a car long enough, it will pay in the end.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:36 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Read the fine print on the paperwork they gave you.
It most likely can be cancelled. I did it in writing within
the 30 days and got a mileage statement from my dealer.
I got the total amount refunded. Took 3 months and many
requests as to where the $$ is and another trip to the stealership
for yet another mileage statement because the first was lost.
Ride em and it will get done. Believe they want to return the
$$ and you will get the run around.[:@]
Old 09-27-2007, 03:43 PM
nonstopred
5th Gear Member

What extendo did you get? mines a hundred deductible for 6 years 75k miles and it was like 900 bux. (extended care...good or bad I dk) it was like an extra 10, 15 bux more a month on the loan and since i was gonna be paying for the car for 5 years why not have a warranty til then. IMO you just wait to get things fixed when its worth it, unless it really is something bad, which will most likely be more than the 100 deductible. Keep in mind, if you add a supercharger or something, thats only gonna void your engine warranty (someone second me on this) and maybe the rest of the drivetrain, but all the suspension steering, and electronic parts of the car dont seem like they'll be effected. I'm not sure at all though. Hope this helps
Old 09-27-2007, 04:09 PM
olvanish
3rd Gear Member

I feel your pain brother and I'm just as pissed off as you are about all the restrictions they put on it including "if you modify suspension and your tranny fails it's because of vibrations related to it so we won't fix it" type of BS. Unfortunately, I don't think you can get any of your money back though. Sorry
Old 09-27-2007, 04:20 PM
05MustangSally
4th Gear Member

I had my Shaker 500, instrument cluster and fuel level sender replaced yesterday which cost $1243.59 if I didn't have a warranty. With my deductable, I only paid $120.22 so I can't complain that much. But it took me almost a month to finally get it done and my car had to be taken in for 3 whole days. I wish I would have the problems sooner so I could have gotten them fixed and then cashed out the warranty afterwards. Other than that, I think it is a waste of $1600 IMO. You can refund your warranty, but like many said, it's pro-rated. They calculate how much you paid for the warranty and deduct cost based on your mileage and how long you've had the car. For example, if you paid $1800 for the warranty on a 2006 car and you have 30,000 miles on it, you'd get back an estimated $1000. BUT...if you financed the vehicle, then the money goes back onto your loan. You don't get cash ora check as if you would if you paid cash to purchase the car. So if your loan is at $20,000 and you get $1000 back, your loan sits at $19,000.

If you're vehicle friendly, a gear-head, friends with a mechanic, or you can afford to have a shop do your work...then I wouldn't bother with a warranty.

Quick Reply: extended warranty bs