Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

extended warranty bs

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 04:48 PM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

Default RE: extended warranty bs

I know you are pissed but there may light at the end of this tunnel.

They are over priced IMO but they can pay off. Many times you will never need it and feel like a waist of your cash but the time I had to get a new trans in my old 99 Stang I was sure glad I had it although my deductable was $150, it saved me several thousand "that time"

You CAN cancel it and get "some" cash back most times. I don't remember what you said earlier but if it's within a month most times you can get a full refund (read the fine print) after that there is a depreciated cost, they subtract a certain amount of mileage and time you had the policy and determine the amount they will refund.

When I got rid of my (ahhemmm) Honda, the first dealer that I shopped for Stangs at would not give me any more money in trade then what he offered even though I had a extended warranty on my trade and it would have transfered to the new owner and could have been a selling point for him, a fact I'm sure he knew. ' Yeah with this car you get a extended warranty at no extra cost" I can hear him now! When I cancelled it (the warranty) after owning the car for like 2 years I got a check like 10 days later for the balance which was about $900.00. or so. I just got the Stang I wanted from another dealer since that guy was trying to give me the shaft. His lost.

Hope it works out for ya..
Old 09-27-2007, 05:24 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05MustangSally

I had my Shaker 500, instrument cluster and fuel level sender replaced yesterday which cost $1243.59 if I didn't have a warranty. With my deductable, I only paid $120.22 so I can't complain that much. But it took me almost a month to finally get it done and my car had to be taken in for 3 whole days. I wish I would have the problems sooner so I could have gotten them fixed and then cashed out the warranty afterwards. Other than that, I think it is a waste of $1600 IMO. You can refund your warranty, but like many said, it's pro-rated. They calculate how much you paid for the warranty and deduct cost based on your mileage and how long you've had the car. For example, if you paid $1800 for the warranty on a 2006 car and you have 30,000 miles on it, you'd get back an estimated $1000. BUT...if you financed the vehicle, then the money goes back onto your loan. You don't get cash ora check as if you would if you paid cash to purchase the car. So if your loan is at $20,000 and you get $1000 back, your loan sits at $19,000.

If you're vehicle friendly, a gear-head, friends with a mechanic, or you can afford to have a shop do your work...then I wouldn't bother with a warranty.
Sally I wondering how that all went. I have an extended warranty and I had to get mine replaced too. The instrumental panel. I do have some mods and I still have my warranty. No I haven't gone into the engine yet but I'm still pleased with my new seats, 2 new shaker 500s', new ball joints and instrumental panel that quit reading the miles per hour. Believe it or not but it has paid off. The dealer told me that if I drop the cats I would lose my warranty. But maybe next a driveshaft.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:36 PM
SkyMaster19
2nd Gear Member

For me the ESP had paid for itself on every Ford vehicle I've owned. Trannys, a/c evaprators, rear axle bearings, multi stalks.....well worth every $$$$. I'll take my chances on the mods.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:04 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

Man, some of you paid a lot for your ESP. Maybe it's not well known, but you can negotiate the price. I paid $800 for 6yr/75,000 Extracare - I think full price was like $1300. I think for $800, rolled into the loan, it's worth it. I've already needed a rental for at least3 weeks (rear end, driveshaft, blah blah blah) while still within the factory 3 yr/36,000 warranty. If you have the ESP, the rental is free. Saved me a few hundred bucks right there easy.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:08 AM
cmschlatt
2nd Gear Member

im pretty sure i got a good deal on it, because my family is friends with the owner of the dealership and he told the finance guy to "give them the discount." ill probably end up keeping my warranty (maybe downgrade it???) but it just bothers me that if i void part of my warranty due to modding, its wasted money []
Old 09-28-2007, 04:24 PM
05MustangSally
4th Gear Member

I am good friends with a Finance Manager at a Chevy dealer...real smart guy. He said normally a warranty costs them no more than $500. So they are making profit on it just like on the car they sell you. He said when they sell you GAP insurance, it only costs $200 usually and they normally charge the buyer $500-800
Old 09-29-2007, 01:41 AM
cmschlatt
2nd Gear Member

what is GAP insurance?
Old 09-29-2007, 01:52 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Now that my car is considerably modified, I signed the paper for an ESP refund today. Have only had warranty for 8 months, and still under factory warranty. Who know if theyll prorate it, we'll see.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:54 AM
Thurman
5th Gear Member

Ok, It is simply. I work for a dealership as a S/A. If you keep your car stock, thaey are great to have. They cover a lot more than just your enigne. starter, struts, power steering , power windows, etc. etc. On the other hand, it prob wont benifit you if u r like me and mode the **** out of it.
Hope this helps.
Thurman
Old 10-01-2007, 12:00 PM
05MustangSally
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Thurman

Ok, It is simply. I work for a dealership as a S/A. If you keep your car stock, thaey are great to have. They cover a lot more than just your enigne. starter, struts, power steering , power windows, etc. etc. On the other hand, it prob wont benifit you if u r like me and mode the **** out of it.
Hope this helps.
Thurman
Unfortunately, my car is stock and there are still numerous things the warranty doesn't cover. Not to mention paying a deductable [:@]

Quick Reply: extended warranty bs