Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost the "spinner" from my front wheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 01:42 PM
ScottRNelson
2nd Gear Member

Default Lost the "spinner" from my front wheel

I just noticed last night that the spinner thingy on one of my "premium" front wheels has fallen off. I'm guessing that it is related to a recent service where the tires were rotated, but I can't prove that.

What options to I have for replacing it, other than ordering one from the Ford dealer?
Old 10-01-2007, 01:55 PM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Lost the "spinner" from my front wheel

ORIGINAL: ScottRNelson

What options to I have for replacing it, other than ordering one from the Ford dealer?
I got mine from BRS, one of our sponsors: http://www.brsparts.com I have been happy with their quality. These are not pop-ins, but screw onto to your wheel and have a locking setscrew so they can't be stolen. No one is going to be bumping them and knocking them off, either.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:02 PM
ratnacage
3rd Gear Member

Get used to it if you keep the stock spinners. When I was a salesman, that was one of the top issues on stangs with spinners. They just fly off whenever.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:05 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

sorry it fell off, not sure
what you can do
Old 10-01-2007, 03:13 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

eBay.
You can buy them singly.
There is also a mod to keep them on.
A sliding closet door pull cap from
home-depot that fits inside and keeps
it from falling off or being stolen.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:15 PM
ScottRNelson
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wthalliii

I got mine from BRS, one of our sponsors: http://www.brsparts.com I have been happy with their quality. These are not pop-ins, but screw onto to your wheel and have a locking setscrew so they can't be stolen. No one is going to be bumping them and knocking them off, either.
Thanks for the information. That site is rather difficult to navigate. It seems to me that I still have to use my old center plastic part, which I don't have, if I buy their spinners. Or I can spend $70 for a set of horsey centers.

Oh, I just figured out how to find the spinners that come with centers. $200 for a set. It sounds cheaper to just visit the Ford dealer.

Rats!
Old 10-01-2007, 03:46 PM
05MustangSally
4th Gear Member

I noticed the same thing in May of this year. I thought it was stolen though because mine are pretty tight and hard to take off. Who knows...but I just took them all off because I plan on replacing the wheels anyways rather than replacing the cap.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:54 PM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

Here is a write up for a simple and inexpensive mod that will prevent the spinners from being removed (either accidentally or intentionally) without removing the wheels.

http://www.cherod.com/mustang/HowTo/spinnerLock.htm

It consists of using a brass door handle and placing it inside the spinner while it is installed on the wheel. Here is a picture:
Old 10-01-2007, 08:31 PM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ScottRNelson

ORIGINAL: wthalliii

Thanks for the information. That site is rather difficult to navigate. It seems to me that I still have to use my old center plastic part, which I don't have, if I buy their spinners. Or I can spend $70 for a set of horsey centers.

Oh, I just figured out how to find the spinners that come with centers. $200 for a set. It sounds cheaper to just visit the Ford dealer.

Rats!
Yes, the Ford ones are cheaper, but I understand that they are plastic. The BRS spinners are solid cast metal. That's why they are more expensive. I'm happy with my choice, but of course your situation and preferences may vary from mine.

EDIT: Maybe I'm wrong about the Ford spinners being plastic. The ones in the picture above look like metal. Well, I'm still happy with the BRS spinners. They have a metal piece that bolts in from the back and the spinner screws on from the outside. Then, a setscrew inside the wheel keeps them from being taken off with the wheels on the car. You can spin them in relation to the wheel spokes, though. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to get to all the lug nuts.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:17 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

I had a car that I put chrome spoke rims on it with a locking spinner. You pulled the center piece off and behind it was a lock that could only be taking off with a key. Why didn't Ford think of that with the spinners they are making now?

Quick Reply: Lost the "spinner" from my front wheel