Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OMG. I might have to get hood pins ASAP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 12:32 PM
AirborneCZ
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: OMG. I might have to get hood pins ASAP!

oing my normal drive to work. Get up to around 105 or so and my freaking hood popped up. WTF!! The safety latch caught it so it didn't come flying into my windshied, but still. WTF!!!!! Scared the crap out of me. I've seen the hood wooble before when doing anything over 100mph, but never thought the darn thing would try to spread its wings.

I haven't been under the hood for at least 3-4 weeks. So today was no different that any other day. Anyone else had this crap happen? I hope adjusting the rubber hood stoppers will prevent this from happening again.
happenes to most, not really popping up but "flying" 5-10 cm above!!! Pins = one of my first "mods". Seems like Ford engeneers never really thought that one could be faster than 100 mph.....
Old 10-02-2007, 12:35 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

mine hardly budges
Old 10-02-2007, 12:37 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AirborneCZ

oing my normal drive to work. Get up to around 105 or so and my freaking hood popped up. WTF!! The safety latch caught it so it didn't come flying into my windshied, but still. WTF!!!!! Scared the crap out of me. I've seen the hood wooble before when doing anything over 100mph, but never thought the darn thing would try to spread its wings.

I haven't been under the hood for at least 3-4 weeks. So today was no different that any other day. Anyone else had this crap happen? I hope adjusting the rubber hood stoppers will prevent this from happening again.
happenes to most, not really popping up but "flying" 5-10 cm above!!! Pins = one of my first "mods". Seems like Ford engeneers never really thought that one could be faster than 100 mph.....
My hood popped up just like someone had pulled the pop hood cord.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:51 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jason0279

I really think that if a manufacturer makes a car capable of going 140 mph that they should make the rest of the car capable, including the hood latch!

BTW - 100+ on your way to work, how late were you?

- Jason
I wasn't late. Just felt the need for a little speed. A couple times a week, I'll just stomp it from 75mph until I hit 120mph then go back to cruising. My drive is 30 miles of open interstate, I live in the city andwork in the countryso everyone is going the opposite way. I almost always keep the cruise at 75mph, the speed limit is 65mph, but the cops won't pull you over for just 10mph over.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:36 PM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: OMG. I need hood pins ASAP!

Thank you for the pics sleeper. That helps a lot.I will try it - any specs such as 1) the thickness, 2)what you used to stick it on and 3) where you can purchase it?

Thanks again.

ORIGINAL: sleeper2

Rogan, Here's the only picture I have of the weatherstrip, the credit goes to another MustangForums member. I'll take some of my car if anyone needs clearer pictures. The weatherstrip (the thick stuff) basically goes across the front top edge of each headlight:

Adjusting the hoodstops can require several tries. Half a turn here, there, then back on the highway to try it out. Hope this is helpful.

Sleeper2
Old 10-02-2007, 02:42 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

I can answer 2 & 3 and guess 1.

1. Probably no thicker 1/2", I don't think they come thicker than that. maybe only 3/8"

2. The weather stripping has an adhesive back.

3. Walmart hasa good selection. Cost arond $3-4 for 10-20 feet.

I had to shop for this stuff when installing my subs in the truck. Funny thing is I think I usedthe exact same stuff sleeper2 posted in the picture. Pretty sure I've got some left so now I have two things to do as soon as I get home.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:41 PM
sleeper2
3rd Gear Member

Rogan, the stripping I used has an adhesive backing, you can buy it anywhere.Mine measures 7/16 by an inch and a quarter, but I don't think it matters, just get something thick. Mine extends 3 more inches toward the center, it's longer than in the picture. I cut out a bit of itso jt could go around the mounting bolt that you see.

Some have glossed over the hood movement, but on my car, it was a pretty big deal. It was like somebody had screwed a dent puller into the center of the left side of my hood and was trying to rip it off with all their might, a couple times each second. Thankfully, adjusting the hood stops and the weatherstripping has seemed to solve the problem.

Bmr4life, the hood latch release lever on my car stuck quite a bit when I first got it. I had to actually push the release all the way back in. Now the springs pull the release back all the way and I don't have to push it in anymore. If you had recently opened your hood, (but you said 3-4 weeks) I would have wondered if the hood release lever/**** had stuck partially out, worked its way out, and allowed the hood to pop.

Sleeper2
Old 10-03-2007, 06:38 AM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Here ya go... Get started...

https://mustangforums.com/m_3876208/...tm.htm#3876208
Old 10-03-2007, 07:15 AM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Boozshey

Here ya go... Get started...

https://mustangforums.com/m_3876208/...tm.htm#3876208
I'm trying the weatherstripping and adjusting the rubber stoppers first. So I did that yesterday and tested it out on my way to work. Had some odd results.

If I floor it from 75 to 115mph, I get wobble somewhere right before 115, notsure where, guessing 110mph.

If I mildly accelerate from 75 to 111mph, I get zero wobble.

I was using a handheld GPS to tell me my max speed because I was watchingthe road and hood and couldn't watch the speedo.

I've already turned the stoppers out about 2 fulls turns, will go and turn them out some more today.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:42 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

My hood always wobbled at about 80 mph, my normal cruising speed. I backed out the stoppers until I could barely close the hood and I went up to 100mph today and it didnt move. The only thing is the hood gaps look a little odd and you can tell its not flush with the fenders at the front. No one would be able to tell unless you really looked. I might experiment and see how low I can put them before it comes back then go back up a half turn.

Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: OMG. I might have to get hood pins ASAP!