Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how do you keep your baby clean

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 09:59 AM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Default RE: how do you keep your baby clean

I don't think my car has even been driven by a car wash since I've owned it

+1 to the california duster. I use it every night when I get home. Then on the weekend, instant detailer all around. Probably wash with water about every 3 to 4 weeks....Nothing but micro-fiber towels.....Clay bar twice a year, Polish with ICE about once a month....

Oh, and not too long ago, I read a thread on here about someone that after washing, and before drying, they spray the car down with instant detailer before drying.....Made no sense to me, but hey, I gave it a shot....WOW, what a difference. Dries much easier, shines like no tomorrow.......Great tip whomever posted it......

Thx,
Mike
Old 10-03-2007, 10:05 AM
Scooby15

I've only had mine for two months now but it seems like I am using the quick detailer every other day and the no rinse at least once a week. I was cleaning it this weekend and one of my neighbors stopped and said you are always out here cleaning that car. I said well I have to with her being black and showing every little speck of dust. I guess the newness hasn't rubbed off yet, I really enjoy spending the time cleaning her. I wish I was in a position right now to buy the Porter Cable kit and really make her shine.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:06 AM
06VistaBlueGT
3rd Gear Member

I drag race my car every friday and or saturday so needless to to say it gets dirty. Usually on sunday morning I'll take it to oneof the do it yourself car washes and use the high pressure spray (never use the brush!!)to get the rubber off the rear quarters and wheel wells then go over the whole car thoroughly. I usually end with a spot free rinse. The spot free rinse doesn't completely prevent spots but it does help. Then I take it for a about a 20 minute drive to air dry it. When I get back to the house, I pull it in the garage, put the hood up to let it cool down then go over the whole car with Ice quick detailer doing the hood last so it's nice and cool. Then I go to the local car show!

Twice a year I clay and wax it.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:11 AM
Caution
5th Gear Member

I'm very **** when it comes to washing mine -- wash it every Sunday at my house for anywhere between 4-5 hours ... eagle1 tireshine... wax it at least once a month, maybe twice it I get time... wipe the rims off and windex the windows just before I take it out.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:29 AM
bcstang
2nd Gear Member

well, i used to do pretty much the same thing only using the ice. but then i came across this page (http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/wash/wash.htm)and decided to try it and omg, the nufinish is amazing, and the absorber is absolutely the coolest drying tool ever, i dried my car with it last weekend and didnt need to wring it out because it still felt dry, then afte i decided to try wringing it and half a bucket came out of it, its awesome. oh, and for carwash i use eagle one wash and wax with the little gelly lookin beads in it.
http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/wash/wash.htm
Old 10-03-2007, 12:01 PM
s2k
5th Gear Member

Iam a fan of clean mustangs.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:12 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mlcrycc

Oh, and not too long ago, I read a thread on here about someone that after washing, and before drying, they spray the car down with instant detailer before drying.....Made no sense to me, but hey, I gave it a shot....WOW, what a difference. Dries much easier, shines like no tomorrow.......Great tip whomever posted it......

Thx,
Mike
I use Turtle Wax spray wax, and its instructions say to do this one panel at a time, but I've never actually tried it. I always assumed it would make a big mess and cause streaks or that the rest of the car would dry with spots before I got to it.

+1 on The Absorber! It is sooooo much better than a real chamois cloth.

A note on towels/rags: I have heard that terry cloth towels will cause scratches, so I stay away from them. I have also tried the cotton diaper cloths, but they are terrible. You will have to wipe and buff for hours with those. They just don't work. Now, as far as microfiber towels are concerned, I have seen two types. One type is sort of like terry cloth, and the other type is more like flannel without the fuzziness. The terry-type ones are great, but don't ever drop one on the ground. If you do, you need to throw it away and never let it touch your car again because the microfibers pick up sand, leaves, stems, and dried tree blossoms very easily and you can NEVER get it out. The flannel-type ones are ok, but require more buffing. Also when you're washing/drying your microfiber towels, don't usecling-free sheets or any fabric softeners because those greasy chemicals will transfer to your car.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:14 PM
s2k
5th Gear Member

imagine if someone invented a way to clean our stangs within 10 min. Maybe a chemical that does no harm to the paint but kills all dirt/grease/water spots.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:18 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Stop it, s2k!!! You're killing me!!! It takes me soooo long to wash/dry/wax/polish my stang.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:18 PM
kirax105strike
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: s2k

imagine if someone invented a way to clean our stangs within 10 min. Maybe a chemical that does no harm to the paint but kills all dirt/grease/water spots.
aha i'd clean it everytime before i put my key in to go somewhere

Quick Reply: how do you keep your baby clean