Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission leak

Old 02-21-2005, 05:51 PM
ponyrider05

Default Transmission leak

We have a new 05 GT with a automatic. Last week I noticed a puddle of red trans fluid on the floor of our garage when wife pulled out I had taken the car to store the night before and decided to TEST it out. there is 700+ miles on car now, so I ran it up from a stop in 1-2-3 and back down 3-2-1 to a stop runing close to red line in each gear.
After seeing leak on floor I called dealership and took it in . They called and said no leak but it had boiled fluid out of over-flow.
Tech called factory and talked to engineers who told him to box it up and send it to them and they would send a NEW trans.
The dealer called to day and said trans was in just need to be test run to see if ok?? I wonder if they will test it like I did?
I wonder if any one who works at a ford dealer in the shop has ever heard of this problem yet?? I can't belive that a short run would cause a boilover of fluid unless the shift preasures were way off......
Please any thoughts
Old 02-21-2005, 09:42 PM
Casper98GT
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Transmission leak

Hey there.... As you can tell im the FORD tech around here. I havent had any problems with the Mustang's trans, but its the same tranny as in the thunderbird. I have had this thing apart. and back together, then parked it in the show room, they put it back in my bay and said it was leaking again. So i checked the fluid level and it was overfull again. Let some out and test drove it and it hasnt been back again. It was just overfull with fluid. The overflow tube for the trans it actually run inside of the bellhousing area and fills the bellhousing area and leaks down the bottom of the trans. Its the dumbest idea ever. I would have just drained some fluid. There is a long stupid way of checking the fluid, since they have no dipsticks, like other higher up makes.
Just incase you wanna know how to check it. there is a smal hex bit in the trans, loosen it and it will come out in a steady stream if there is too much, it it is right on the money it will trickle out. Also you have to have the trans fluid temp up to around 109-115 degrees. I wouldd just let the dealership take over. Also, if the leak didnt stop on my T-bird, the facroty wanted it back to test it and find out what was wrong with it themselves. So they will put in a new trans for you and then test the old one. The dealership wont test it, it will getsend back and the factory will run testson it. Sorry for the messy wrting im in a hurry.