Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got rear ended today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 09:08 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Got rear ended today?

blue, you are the king of icons....dare
i say the icon guru
Old 10-10-2007, 09:27 PM
poohflingr
2nd Gear Member

Man I will say this again! Dude in Minnesota, your insurance sucks! Your insurance company cannot increase your insurance if you are rearended or are not at fault in an accident! It doesn't matter the state. I am licensed in Minn also and no fault has nothing to do with the damage to your vehicle. If you are injured in an accident and the party at fault has no insurance the state has to pay your medical bills. Michigan is a no fault state and they have a $70 charge per vehicle on all insurance policies. The insurance doesn't even get any of the money the state does. The state then takes the cash, put's it in a pot for all those unlucky folks that get in an accident with the uninsured. So anybody claiming your rates increased because of a no-fault accident is wrong! Your insurance company didn't have the cajones to go after the guilty party and just screwed you, that was easier for them. So before you let some knucklehead walk after damaging your stang, get their info and stalk them like the paparazzi! Stop all this stupidity about no fault meaning you can hit someone and not pay a dime, it's ignorant and just plain dumb!
Old 10-10-2007, 09:53 PM
poohflingr
2nd Gear Member

I hate to go off like that but since I became an insurance agent I hate to hear untrue statements about insurance. The more you know the better, I can't have my fellow stangers out there gettin' jobbed because they don't understand the insurance. No fault means your insurance carrier has to pay your medical bills, that's it! Property damage (your Mustang) has to charged to the person that hit you if they are at fault. If no-fault meant what some of you morons were saying it did, there would be no need to carry property damage on your insurance. So let's recap, Bodily injury covers if you hit and injure someone (medical bills) in a no fault state there are coverages on your policy that cover your medical bills and you have to carry those coverages. Property damages is what is paid out if you hit someone and are at fault, resulting in damages to their property, including their house or bike or scooter etc.. Those medical coverages I spoke of before vary from state to state and depend on if you are in a no fault state or not. Here in the state of Texas if I get rearended the guilty party is liable for my medical bills, and property. No fault states, "sucks to be you". But no matter the state, your vehicle has to be fixed by the guilty party in an accident, no exceptions!
Old 10-10-2007, 10:07 PM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

ok so no fault means that your own insurrance carrier pays your medical bills as opposed to the guilty party? (i dont live in a no fault state)
Old 10-10-2007, 10:39 PM
poohflingr
2nd Gear Member

Yeah it's really quite idiotic to be honest. Basically it was done to linestate officials pockets. Some states have a massive charge (like Michigan) per car and the state pockets every dime. But the insurance company collects it so they look like the a$$holes, when in reality they don't see a dime of the money.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:56 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Man, you explained it better than I could[8D]. Make sense since you're a pro anyway.

Don't laugh at me yet... but is it why you can't sue the @sshole that runs into you if he doesn't have any insurance?[:@]
There's a thing here in FL that protect the bastard somehow (he or she get a ticket,that's it). Just wondering if the 'no fault' deal extend to this or not.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:40 PM
poohflingr
2nd Gear Member

Actually you're on track with that. nobody sues for a new car, they only sue for pain and suffering and things like that. No fault says that your insurance company is responsible for your medical bills if you carry certain coverages. That being said, the at fault party is liable for damage to your car. You can go after the guity party for property damage, only thing is who's gonna make him pay? If he can't afford insurance he can't pay out a law suit settlement! But to be honest it's like that no matter where you live. Some states are more aggressive than others and you can really take someone for all they have. Most states protect that person from losing his home or wages because of not being insured. But even in those no fault states, if the guilty party is found negligent in some way (DWI, DUI) you could still sue if you suffer some life altering injury or something. No fault is supposed to prevent frivelous lawsuits I guess.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:51 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Thanks.
I appreciate your input.
It's true that, if you can't afford insurance, most likely you ain't got sh#t to your name.
But you see a lot of morons with terrible driving records that don't wanna pay big bucks for a policy, so they can the idea. Those idiots are not totally broke, so you could go after them. Still a pain though.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:07 PM
poohflingr
2nd Gear Member

Yeah but now a lot of states are gonna go to electronic proof of insurance. The second you get a car and insurance and get it registered, they got you! If you cancel the insurance or let it lapse for non payment the state fines you for every day you don't have insurance. It's sweet because they do it in NJ, NY, and GA as far as I know, and we are gonna be doin' it here in Tx. Here in Tx 60% of these idiots don't have insurance, that crap ain't gonna fly anymore! Soon every state will have no choice but to do it.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:15 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Last post here for me, just because we kinda hijacked that thread[8D].
We should have opened a topic about that...
If you care to know, you can't register your car here in FL if you don't have insurance.

Quick Reply: Got rear ended today?