Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chevy Suburban vs. Mustang Door *updates @ end*

Old 10-12-2007, 11:14 AM
DRWS10
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Chevy Suburban vs. Mustang Door

Good luck with that!! But like you said its only a car, just relax and get it fixed. Hopefully she will be at fault and you will be fine!
If she is at fault then dont worry about the window tint or anything, im pretty sure she will have to pay for all of that!!
Old 10-12-2007, 11:15 AM
A_J
2nd Gear Member

+1 - she was in motion and should have been actually watching what's in front of her. File a claim and get a quote ASAP.. hopefully the A-Pillar is ok. I feel for ya -
Old 10-12-2007, 11:28 AM
schapman
4th Gear Member

why do you say its her fault? he said the door was in motion when it was hit.its not like the driver just pulled in and hit an open door.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:34 AM
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member

Hmmm....Sounds like bad timing, but....She's driving along and all of a sudden
there's a door swinging open in front of her. Whereas you, sitting in your car, didn't
look behind you before opening your door. If you did, I'm sure you would've
seen that friggin moster SUV coming. Seriously, unless she came flying into that spot,
she did nothing wrong.
Onetime (15 yrs ago) I was driving along whensome teenager on a bicycle made a leftdirectly
in front of me. Locked the brakes and still sent him flying. No one hurt, cops said it wasn't my fault.
Totaled the bike and we never did find one of his shoes. I felt bad for the kid though and bought
him a new bike anyways.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:40 AM
ArcticFrog
2nd Gear Member

I'm not a good gauge of speed but she certainly didn't just tap my door. She nailed it. Hard enough to break her headlight lens and crack her bumper. It wasn't just paint transfer on her she's got damage too. Now if only I was a physics genius and could figure out what kind and how much force involved it took to make the kinds of damage on my car and hers to create the end result......anyone volunteer for that?

I hear you guys though on the dilemma of who to blame...State Farm pays out no matter who they fault (since they insure us both), it's just a matter of who's premium will go up, mine or hers and it's been 14 years since I had any kind of accident or insurance claim. I'm gonna be so mad if I get tagged for this! Plus then I'll NEVER get my significant other to agree to the appearance mods I want because we'll be paying more out to insurance.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:57 AM
2GKT5
2nd Gear Member

Not to be a dick, but morally I see it as your fault. YOU opened the door as SHE was pulling in. How did you expect her to stop? Now if you had your door open the whole time its a whole different story. It might also be ruled as 50/50, because parking lots are a PITA to determine who is at fault.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:59 AM
teksp0rt
3rd Gear Member

You mentioned that you both have State Farm. Be careful....

I was in an accident on private property. I was backing out of a parking space, into a one way section of the parking lot. This young girl in a truck slammed into my car as she cut across multiple parking spaces and was driving in the wrong direction, trying to exit the parking lot (through a one way enterance). The police came and wrote a report clearly stating that she was at fault.

Well... According to State Farm it was partially my fault. Why? Becuase two nearby offices got into a battle over the money they had to pay out to fix the cars. Needless to say I am no longer with State Farm.

Just stay on top of it.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:02 PM
theresa
4th Gear Member

That sucks ArcticFrog!!!!!
I hear ya on the spouse/mods issue.....same here !
Good luck.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:05 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: schapman

why do you say its her fault? he said the door was in motion when it was hit.its not like the driver just pulled in and hit an open door.
+1 I personally think they are both at fault. I always look before opening my door. I wouldn't be suprised if the insurance ruled that way as well.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:16 PM
ratnacage
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 07PonyVert

Teach the dingbat with poor driving skills a lesson and file a claim with her insurance company.
Sounds like a 50/50 fault (or even no-fault, bad timing), but if she's willing to pay out of pocket for the new door, I see no reason to be vindictive about it. Too often these days everyone wants to raise a stink about everything.If you can reach an agreement with her andkeep it off the record then it sounds like a win/win (as much as it can be given the situation).

But my only caveat would be that she pay up by a certain date or you will go through her insurance. That will hopefully keep her from dragging her feet.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Chevy Suburban vs. Mustang Door *updates @ end*