Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chevy Suburban vs. Mustang Door *updates @ end*

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 10:22 AM
ArcticFrog
2nd Gear Member

Default Chevy Suburban vs. Mustang Door *updates @ end*

I've said "Its only a car" a thousand times over in my head but it's not helping. I went to my son's school to drop off 2 things he'd forgotten this morning. I was parked in a spot. The spots both to the left and right of me were open (that's why I parked there...I was going to be in and out and I'd be safe from door dings). As I open my door to step out, a white suburban RAMS my door. Right on the edge of the door, not impacting the outside or the inside, but right on the edge.

Nobody's hurt, yadda yadda but that doesn't keep me from being mad about it. She calls her husband on her cell while I'm taking pics with my cell phone. Her husband suggests that we leave the insurance companies out of itsince we both discover we have good driver ratings. I said "Uh, but I didn't do anything wrong, all I did was open my door to get out...why should I have to pay for my door?" I called the police non-emergency number and they connected me to dispatch who then refused to come take a police report because the accident was on private property (it's a private school). So we swapped insurance info and personal info, we both have State Farm but different agents.

So hey insurance people (I know there's a few out here), what do you think? What do you think it will be ruled as, my fault, her fault, both at fault or no fault?

Here's the carnage. I took better pics of my car damage when I got home where my real camera is.

[IMG]local://upfiles/47421/BF412F018B99486B8213AB20F2728ABD.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/47421/F9FEA5552FFE4FA09FC8B78E77583E95.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/47421/7E48EB4FC0FA46EC968DFBB495637EF7.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/47421/44709B059DB84CAF9E0C4C7050B8B022.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/47421/A67FA505A0304E80B786A72AAEA6313B.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-12-2007, 10:27 AM
ArcticFrog
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Chevy Suburban vs. Mustang Door

Also, there's tint on that window and moleskin on the door window wiper. Should I ask the body shop if they'll just use my existing window and wiperon the new door or just buy new and have insurance pay for it?

I'm also thinking about having my side mirrors painted at my expense while they've got the paint out anyway for the new door. And I don't know if I have any other kind of damage besides the door but I can't imagine what else may be out of whack unless it's the front fender somehow where the door connects. The door does close and latch ok, amazingly enough. I was shocked that it did.

Here's the pics I took with my phone at the scene and then my rudimentary collision diagram.

[IMG]local://upfiles/47421/CC40CEFDA649408DB68C05F8FEE83DBD.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/47421/48529019B1DD4A358950B6BE89715D40.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/47421/E070624ED103440FB56CAC4190D38E61.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-12-2007, 10:29 AM
mightymouse
3rd Gear Member

Don't settel for anything less than a new door. It should be ruled as her fault for failing to yeald right of way to you. she was the one in the moving car not you.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:49 AM
07PonyVert
1st Gear Member

Teach the dingbat with poor driving skills a lesson and file a claim with her insurance company. With skills like that, why should she have a good driver rating?!? I mean, where was she looking that she couldn't see you were getting out of your car.

Years ago, I had a new car and I watched as a woman parked next to me, flung open her door, dinged my door very hard, checked her door for damage, then pulled out and parked in a different space. I ran outside (I was by a window at the time), confronted her to her suprise, and then demanded her insurance information. I later called up her insurance, filed a claim, got paid and fixed the dent/paint damage. As I am sure happened, her insurance premium got jacked up and she hopefully now is more careful when opening her door. It was probably overkill, but at that point, it's the principle of the thing. If I can care for my own property and other's without any effort, why can't everyone else?

At least no one was hurt in the accident; sorry to hear about it and best wishes for a quick fix!!
Old 10-12-2007, 10:56 AM
schapman
4th Gear Member

how long was your door open before the accident?
Old 10-12-2007, 10:58 AM
smythge
4th Gear Member

Quick question, was your door open the entire time, or did you open the door as she was pulling in? You're lucky you didn't step out of the car and get hit. I knowon the road if you open your door into oncoming traffic that's considered your fault.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:00 AM
ArcticFrog
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: schapman

how long was your door open before the accident?
It was in motion swinging open as she hit it. I screamed because the THUMP scared me to death.

ETA: I never heard another vehicle even coming. My first thought after the hit was 'where the hell did she come from' because when I pulled into the spot there was nobody else even in sight to me in the lot.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:03 AM
steveo555
2nd Gear Member

does the school have security cameras outside, maybe it is on tape.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:10 AM
ArcticFrog
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: steveo555

does the school have security cameras outside, maybe it is on tape.
I doubt it but I'll call the school to find out. The pic of my car and hers together is literally right on the angle of impact. She'd backed up maybe a foot so that I could get out of my car...the door wasn't open wide enough for me to do that. I maybe could have slid out squeezing through the opening if I HAD to...to give some scope of how far it was open.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:11 AM
Caution
5th Gear Member

+1 -- Her fault ... you're parked and she needs to looking for things when she pulls in... somehting like this happened to a buddy of mine and it was ruled in his favor (he had his door smacked while opening). I know when I park my stang I take the halst spot available ... away from everyone... if I can't avoid it and park between to cars then I'll pull in slow and get my stang centered in the spot to avoid these things best that I can ... sorry about your door

ORIGINAL: mightymouse

Don't settel for anything less than a new door. It should be ruled as her fault for failing to yeald right of way to you. she was the one in the moving car not you.

Quick Reply: Chevy Suburban vs. Mustang Door *updates @ end*